Caleches get 1.5 Million LE from Tourist Ministry

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Caleches get 1.5 Million LE from Tourist Ministry

Post by Bombay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 pm

pdmlynek wrote:Sorry for the following naïve questions, but I got to ask:

To be perfectly honest, I do not see why people should be so upset that caleche drivers get this money. It seems to me a form of welfare during some tough times. Just exactly is so terrible about it?

Also, I am a bit puzzled about the attitude to caleches in general. Why are they “destroying the Tourist Trade”? Don’t tourists want to ride on caleches?
Well you are arriving soon are you not so you will find out first hand probably on many many many many many occasions.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 pm

A-Four wrote:Western people are always too polite in the Middle East, especially Egypt. If any Egyptian don't want to buy anything, they never enter into conversation, whether it be taxi driver, street seller,..........or what ever. I can never understand why so many ex-pats do not adopt the same manner.
Works for me. Ignore them, and walk against the flow.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
A-Four wrote:Western people are always too polite in the Middle East, especially Egypt. If any Egyptian don't want to buy anything, they never enter into conversation, whether it be taxi driver, street seller,..........or what ever. I can never understand why so many ex-pats do not adopt the same manner.
Yes it works great to just to carry on walking and ignore them, it's when they get abusive and tell you to **** *** back to your own country or something else abusive when the switch in my brain is triggered into giving them a response, mind you, my Arabic is good enough now to make them apologise.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 am

DJKeefy wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:
Yes it works great to just to carry on walking and ignore them, it's when they get abusive and tell you to **** off back to your own country or something else abusive when the switch in my brain is triggered into giving them a response, mind you, my Arabic is good enough now to make them apologise.
Yep, works for me too - just like it does here in Turkey. The hand on heart and finger flick is a goodie, learnt from a Forum member, sorry but forget who!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 am

Worth thinking about big picture.

A lesson in irony

The Food Bank Program, administered by Social Welfare Canada, is actually proud of the fact that
"It is distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food vouchers ever!"

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by Canada Parks and Natural Resources,
asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals."

Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

This ends today's lesson.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:04 am

That's some free food for thought. Which begs the question do some people need their thoughts handed out to them too? ;)

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:05 am

On my way out last night I viewed the many parked up caleshes, their handlers idly sat there waiting for any kind of business, while their steeds idly deposited their dumping's and gushing's into the gutter. Then I noticed that not one caleshe [which was very many] that I passed had the dump catcher attached. Now why have they decided to remove these considering the Government was nice enough to give them a few quid out of petty cash to help them out. Not a very good swings and roundabouts agreement.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I think Dusak that this is another of those incidents that I put under my heading of 'Luxor a law unto its self'.

Although these drivers know full well it is wrong, they also know that the law will not bother about them, it is this attitude that MUST change in Luxor, not just about horse mess, but also other things, unless there are changes, Luxor will go down further the one way street of no return.

As I have written on here before on several occasions, in Asswan each carriage driver MUST wear an apron, that is part of the license, only he can wear that apron, therefore that makes sure the horse has the correct amount of rest, it also makes sure his young son, and his mates, (who as rule has no idea how to control the horse, let alone the carriage.) do not take out the poor horse again at night, which is often the case. This is why so many of these poor animals are constantly on the streets of Luxor. If a horse and carriage is caught without an apron on both the driver AND carriage, they loose their license. Any license holder who allows ANY ONE to driver his carriage other than himself including tourist, are banned.

Perhaps, when some of you go along to this meeting in Karnack, you might impress the governor by the knowledge that you know of Egypt and not just Luxor, when you inform him of life in Asswan.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:51 pm

The Caleshe Drivers uniform is already on my list A4, these could be sponsored by one of the big Egyptian Banks or Egypt Air and bare the Sponsers logo, a minuscule cost. Another thing is buildings should be made by the license issued forced to finish the facade, even though there may be no internal walls, they should on the front contain all their windows and doors, this would improve the looks and make them more easy on the eye. But like you say in your post, there is no one here to enforce issues. I have noticed though that there are many of the Senior Ranks in Security are coming into Luxor from outside the City which is a good thing and will eventually put to bed that local raised Security Forces are apt to dirty dealing due to the fact everyone is related.

I have meany other things on my list too, but I am hoping the meeting is not for personal problems, and is kept to Luxor and improvements. It is not known at the moment exactly what the meeting is to be about, I have heard it is about property tax, and many other things.

I do have a few problems I would like to see the Governor about, but they are personal problems and not for anyone else's ears, therefore it is my intention to give him a letter to arrange a meeting, he is obviously busy at the moment because he has not replied to any of my e-mail communications requesting an appointment, or that is what I would like to believe.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:45 am

The remedy of many issues in Egypt concerning development can be remedied only if Egypt will make significant political moves acknowledging its past mistakes with the West, mostly with UK, France, Belgium. This could bring foreign investment back. And Egyptian know that very well. Nothing less would help. The country is badly hit the Nasser "rip off and kick-out" deal with the previous investors. Nobody trusts the country anymore. Who are the allies? Only Saudi Ar and Qatar... If one dig under what was the aim of the USA for foreign support 2010-2012 one will find ... civil war. :|

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Ya salam, when the British and French admit THEIR past political mistakes with Egypt...then we can start to think about it!

Maat
United Kingdom

Post by Maat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

And what were the mistakes?..
Nobody will invest again if one brings his or her skills, equipment, workforce, family, finance, allows one's company being invaded by IPO and outnumbered at 85% by the locals and after that ...kicked out of the country by a new government for the reason of nationalization... :up

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Highly recommend to follow daily reports on the actual govrntmnt's moves at SIS Egypt. They, looks like, are going to undertake wise steps. For instance in agriculture.
It ll be wise that we concentrate our ideas around Luxor and Tourism and how Govrnmt can lobby the ex-pats needs in the future; with the Global Freezing Lxr might again regain its importance as the Winter Resort.
Regards, :lv