Ex Pats in Luxor Welcome or Not?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Ex Pats in Luxor Welcome or Not?

Post by Major Thom »

Must be on the start of Alziemers? My memory is fading and my views are limited to the future, and my interest in today has faded into oblivion. Now to start gardening.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

BENNU wrote:
The friend who had struggled to get five months felt in general so unwelcome after more than twenty years, that he considered leaving.
This is actually really funny because it is the height of arrogance, because one would think the longer one stays on a TOURIST visa, the more one would have some self-awareness that the visa they have really isn't appropriate and becomes harder and harder to justify continuing as a "tourist". How long did he expect to be allowed to abuse the system? If your intention is to stay until you die on a tourist visa then really you are actually lying to get the tourist visa.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
BENNU wrote:
The friend who had struggled to get five months felt in general so unwelcome after more than twenty years, that he considered leaving.
This is actually really funny because it is the height of arrogance, because one would think the longer one stays on a TOURIST visa, the more one would have some self-awareness that the visa they have really isn't appropriate and becomes harder and harder to justify continuing as a "tourist". How long did he expect to be allowed to abuse the system? If your intention is to stay until you die on a tourist visa then really you are actually lying to get the tourist visa.
He has worked as a guide for many years. I do not know what kind of visa.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
BENNU wrote:
How do you abuse a system that is the system? Until recently the ONE year tourist visa was the system and has been since before 1996 that was obtained by just about anyone wanting one. Just because this has changed slightly does not mean anyone should have been doing anything apart from the accepted 'norm' and not arrogant at all.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If he was working illegally as a tour guide, then his "welcome" ran out the day he started taking work away from Egyptians. Regardless of whether his visa was renewed all that time, what he was doing is not welcomed by the locals and I am sure he knows that. So to talk about suddenly not being made to feel welcome is a bit disingenuous.

By abusing the system I mean using the tourist visa for something other than tourism. Not the length of issuance.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote:If...

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

All those years ago when the Egyptian government made it possible for foreigners to buy and own their own property, as a second home, holiday home or a retirement home, the tourist visa was the only ''license'' available. And that's all we have today. We followed their rules, it is up to them to 'modenise' them to suit the current days needs due to an increase in expat numbers now living here.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It was never the only visa, but maybe it was the only one you and a lot of others were aware of and you want to cling to that incorrect belief.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Is there an increase in ex pats living here "D", i would have thought over the past 2 or 3 years there has been a decrease, but I do agree with you about modernisation, I think a lot of what is going on is maybe due to security risks and we are being looked upon in the same way as other people, even though we come from a pacifist Country. I think most people like myself are getting tired of listening to the visa stories, they will do what they want, right or wrong and we will have to follow.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Wouldn't have a clue as to how many have left, or are left. About eight that I knew casually have gone for good. I'm constantly being asked ''do you know such and such person, they live/have lived in Karnak for a long time and they know of you'' My answer is usually no, never heard or seen them. I very rarely go out unless its for shopping and now very infrequently go out to see friends in the evening. I just enjoy my own company, plodding on quietly with life.

As for the visa to live here, that was all that was on the table at that time according to our then lawyer. Since this latest visa fiasco I have done quite extensive investigations with the people that know about the different kinds of visa. Basically what I have now is all that I'm entitled too. Even though the guy at the visa office stated to my friend that if I were Muslim I would get a twelve month visa straight away, a fact that I can not really see as fact. If we get married, something that we started to plan last November, I would get a twelve month visa, but because we received the wrong information about having it here in Luxor, it can only be done in Cairo, we have had to put it all on hold until the visa problems are sorted out.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It may be all you are currently eligible for, but that does not mean there are not many other categories of visa available to foreigners who meet the requirements or make an effort to do so. And with the amount of money that you have invested in this country, you clearly COULD have gotten one of those other visas, if you had done YOUR homework and acted accordingly (and blaming it on your lawyer is no excuse because I am almost certain at the time information about all these other visas was available in English online).

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

As to that question, Mr Gaddis said last week 1000 ex-pats had left, but don't quote me I'm only the messenger... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:It may be all you are currently eligible for, but that does not mean there are not many other categories of visa available to foreigners who meet the requirements or make an effort to do so. And with the amount of money that you have invested in this country, you clearly COULD have gotten one of those other visas, if you had done YOUR homework and acted accordingly (and blaming it on your lawyer is no excuse because I am almost certain at the time information about all these other visas was available in English online).
I totally agree with what you state, but you have to understand the British mind set concerning such things. In the UK we are very lawyer orientated. If you have any kind of legal problem, or want to buy/sell a home, you see a lawyer. You accept that they know what they are talking about and will lead you down the right path. They look after your interests all through the process.

When considering moving here we sought out and found a woman lawyer on the Embassy list. Well qualified and spoke English. She displayed many letters of thanks on her website. So, being British, with the typical British attitude, we employed her to look after our purchase. We were guided by her and trusted her knowledge concerning the purchasing laws here. We soon discovered, unlike the UK legal system, its all about money, not customer care. We had heard on the street about other kinds of visa, but she insisted that the tourist visa was the only one available to us. At that time we deposited over £200,000 in the HSBC bank, not an Egyptian one, mainly because our bank in the UK was HSBC, so, again being British, you tend to trust the bank you have used for many years, plus the ease of transfers and what have you.

I would be quite content even with a six month tourist visa, but now we have discovered that a foreigner wishing to marry an Egyptian woman is going to prove very difficult. I've had friends helping me out in this, contacting all the offices in Cairo for the relevant information, they spent many hours on the internet on our behalf [Arabic] seeking information. One thing that seems set in concrete is that I will need at least a twelve month visa. At the moment, I have none.

One interesting fact to emerge from this investigation of facts is that a new law has just been passed that now makes it illegal for an Egyptian man marrying a foreigner if there is more that a twenty five years age gap. We are OK on that point as ours is twenty two.

In this life you learn by your mistakes and attempt to not make them again, but we have tried every way to get over these problems but failed at every point. There are far too many departments in Cairo giving you differing information, giving you other numbers to contact, only to be shunted in another direction, only to receive more negative or incorrect info.

We could, of course, get an Orfi marriage, but this is one path that I refuse to take.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Since you seem to trust those helping you NOW to be giving you "facts", I'm not going to get specific in where they are leading you astray because you still will follow them, but suffice it to say there is so much wrong in what you have been told that I'm sure everyone will be grabbing their popcorn to read Dusak's rambling tale of the marriage that "couldn't" happen in the coming months. If you had made some effort to learn how to do things yourself rather than relying on others of dubious character, intentions, and knowledge, you might actually be quite savvy by now in taking care of yourself. But really you still come across like someone who just stepped off the plane being tricked into visiting a back alley shop to overpay for a bottle of perfume.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:
We could, of course, get an Orfi marriage, but this is one path that I refuse to take.
At risk of showing my ignorance on the subject, but is an Orfi marriage possible in such a circumstance?

There is a lot of information, and probably even more misinformation, with regard to an orfi marriage between an Egyptian man and women from many different nations, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a non Egyptian man making an orfi marriage with an Egyptian woman.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Dusak wrote:
At risk of showing my ignorance on the subject, but is an Orfi marriage possible in such a circumstance?

There is a lot of information, and probably even more misinformation, with regard to an orfi marriage between an Egyptian man and women from many different nations, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a non Egyptian man making an orfi marriage with an Egyptian woman.
I am sure I read it happens too often with a quick divorce at the end of the foreigners holiday so there was supposed to be some sort of hefty dowry being introduced to stop it or slow it down.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Bombay wrote:I am sure I read it happens too often with a quick divorce at the end of the foreigners holiday so there was supposed to be some sort of hefty dowry being introduced to stop it or slow it down.
I am aware of a recent such Orfi marriage hitting the rocks. How easy is it to get an Orfi divorce?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Even though the guy at the visa office stated to my friend that if I were Muslim I would get a twelve month visa straight away, a fact that I can not really see as fact.
@Dusak - You've stated on here you ARE Muslim. Why didn't you or your friend just tell the guy at the Visa office you're Muslim? Should be easy to get your Imam to vouch for you too.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

First of all the person helping us is a very well respected, intelligent Egyptian business man and a long standing friend of my friend who has been married to a foreigner for many years and understands the difficulties. I'm not too proud in asking for help in a field that is very confusing and based mainly in Arabic. I will not be rambling in the future, as the last thing that I would want to do is inadvertently give you an upset stomach. People other than you may have been interested in the trials and tribulations that come with such a decision. So no more will be discussed on this topic by me.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak, I have to say that I do find your situation interesting ( but from the general point of view and not your, as in you specific) and would like to continue reading the varios twists and turns as it continues. I do however think it is a wise decision to cease writing about it on a public forum, a view which I have always held and expressed in the past. Being specific to you and your lady friend, I wish you both the best in the eventual outcome.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley