Wolves in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wolves in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 am

I was having a nice cup of tea up at the village the other night sitting along the canal directly in front of the houses that runs parallel with it, when all of a sudden there was a big commotion, friends I was sitting with started running to the other guys leaving me just sat where I was, I could see some of these guys with big sticks, one friend run back and went into his house and brought out what looked more like a huge tree trunk, I said what's going on, he said in Arabic DEEB, DEEB, I'm shaking my head not knowing the word DEEB, and he then told me WOLF and run off to join the others, when he come back I said what's happened, he said it had run away, I said it was probably just a big dog, I did not think there was wolfs in Luxor, he was adament there was and if they caught it they would have killed it, cause it eats people and there livestock.

I did a google search and only found something from ACE about 2 years ago. so im no wiser to if Wolves exists in Luxor or not.

"Wolves" story in Luxor

There have been reports on Facebook this past week regarding a family of wolves (a mother and cubs) terrorising the locals and their livestock in Karnak. This sparked a massive Facebook/publicity campaign to save these wolves. As a result, ACE was asked to investigate the area and to assess the situation.

Below is a statement from Kim Taylor, ACE Centre Manager in Luxor.

"I would like to fill you all in with the actual facts on the so called 'wolf problem in Luxor' ...

We became aware of the problem on Wednesday 12 January 2011 and were able to visit the abandoned hotel site on 14 January 2011.

We found the corpse of one domestic canine (dog) and one wild fox only.

We searched the whole grounds with a professional tracker from the UK, but found absolutely no sign at all of any other animals. It is highly unlikely wolves would inhabit this area as it is in close proximity to humans. Also, there are no reported sightings of wolves in Upper Egypt, but occasionally sightings of jackals have been reported.

The government veterinary services had been called to 'deal' with the problem and we believe strychnine poisoning was left around the site at least some 10 days before hand.

The local council in Luxor usually deals with the stray dog population in this way.

On the 22 January 2011, we had a meeting with the Luxor Veterinary Services and the result was that they will call ACE prior to dealing with any 'problem animals', in the hope that matters will be resolved in a humane way in the future.

Kind Regards

Kim Taylor

Source: http://aceegypt.blogspot.com/2011/01/wo ... luxor.html

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Wolves in Luxor

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 am

Yet all locals believe there are wolves, and many say they have seen them, my husband, family and friends included. We heard reports of one, from a resident, at New Gurna only a couple of weeks ago. :ni:
Carpe diem! :le:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 am

You are correct Winged Isis, a few years ago quite a number of wolves kept coming down from the hills, desparate for food, once they had cleared Old Gurna on the WB.

I posted sometime ago now with regards to why an old friend was not allowing his daughters to take a flat in Tiba, when they were students,.......wolves, two legged at the collegue, and four legged upin the hills there.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 am

According to the International Wolf Centre, there are wolves throughout Egypt. This seems to be because recently in has been found that the Egyptian Jackal, prevalent in the North, and in some desert areas is a direct descendant of the European Grey Wolf. However, from other sources, the true wolf is only seen in parts of Sinai. I'd assume then, that what people call wolves are in fact
jackals.
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... /Egypt.asp
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Barb

Post by Barb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah there are loads of wolves here. A friend was contacted by one of her friends last week to say he had found a very weak and sick 'puppy' on the west bank and would she help him take it to ACE. When they got there they confirmed that it was a wolf but it was very sick so they left it with them to do whet they thought best with it.

I have also had friends chased by packs of wolves.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 am

I agree there are a few wolves about Luxor and surrounds, and correctly so they come down from the mountain for food. Sometimes especially at Qorm you can hear them howling later on in the evening.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 am

About ten weeks ago a friend that lives on the West Bank was walking his wife and two of his young daughters along the lane close to their home. What they all state was a wolf came out of the adjoining sugarcane field and attacked him. He was protecting his family with the only thing at hand, a small stick. His resulting injuries was a sizable chunk out of his backside and inner thigh. Needed extensive surgery and over fifty stitches plus the anti rabies jab. He is still suffering from the attack. I'm told that many chickens had been killed over a period of time which they presumed was a result of foxes but they, the villagers, later caught the wolf and shot it.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 pm

I saw a wolf and her cubs cross a path between the fields whilst out riding many years ago. The horse became spooked but the wolf was more frightened of us than we were of her and made a quick retreat back into the sugarcane.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

I once saw a wolf in sheep's clothing on the Nile's waterfront in Luxor.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Only one???!!! You weren't very observant then! :D

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:37 pm

If you are a male walking alone, it pays to keep you gaze fixed firmly to the ground at times along that particular stretch.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

It's no walk in the park for females either, as you probably know. :sd