Luxor News of the World

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Luxor News of the World

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 am

Who says Luxor is not the News of the World? I found out yesterday of the sad loss of my sister in the UK, two weeks ago. I did not find out from a relative but from a friend in Luxor!! It amazes me how living all these miles apart people here know more about others than you do yourself.

Since finding out the sad news I have contacted the family who confirmed the news, to be told that an e-mail sent to me, was not opened, something due to time. I have found out that the e-mail was sent to me, but because of the crap internet system of on off, on off, the mail never got delivered. I would like to thank my Luxor friend for breaking the news to me, and sorry for my response to them, I was shocked at the time they told me, for more than one reason, but also thankful that I eventually got to know.

It just goes to show though that much of the time you can be very alone in Luxor and out of contact with the rest of the world and your family. It also shows that without friends trawling the internet, which I am against for obvious reasons, I would never have got to know this news, so for the future I retract my telling off for telling people to get their nose out of my business.

For those people that do not know it is quite clear that you are being spied on from a great height.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Luxor News of the World

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 am

My sympathies for your sad loss, Choc, especially the way you found out.
Carpe diem! :le:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 am

I am sad to here this Choc, it is strange when you told of a loss like this.

I am sure we all remember when we in the past first hear of the death of our mother or father, and immeadiate care was taken in getting the dreadful news over to us, face to face, but it seems these days a text will do,.........if we are lucky.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Thank you WI, A4 you are so right in these days nothing seems to have any respect to it, yes everything is done by txt or e-mail with no decorum, but the thing I appreciate the most was the news from a Luxor friend, was very respectful, it was obvious my friend had an inclination I knew nothing.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:21 pm

It is sad news indeed, especially when its close blood, but did they not have a telephone number as two weeks sounds a long time for the news to filter though to you. Please do not think that I'm putting light on the matter but I know from first hand experience that a call to the Embassy in Cairo then a call to Gaddis took one day. Even though he is no longer the Embassy rep he would of gotten the news to you somehow.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your Loss C.E. And also the fact that you lost the opportunity to be able to pay your last respects.

I can imagine that the way the news was broken to you must have stirred up many emotions all at once, that is quite understandable.

Sincere condolences.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

I have my mobile and land line Dusak, but I ruined the SIM card on my mobile and changed for a new one, with the consequence of forgetting to let people know my number. We always contacted each other by e-mail or skype. The telephone bills used to get very expensive, due to the fact once started we never knew when to stop. I don't think they would think about the embassy. I have been in touch with all family members now and all have expressed the fact they found contact hard over the past 2 weeks, but I must admit a lot was my fault, 8 missed Skype calls, 14 e-mails to my old English e-mail address at AOL that I never use now, so bless them they did try, and I appreciate them for doing so.

I think no body thinks it will happen to them, but it was unexpected and sudden, now I know what happened I have calmed down a bit, but after loosing my other sister last year you do not think lightning will strike twice so close. I am so pleased that one of my Luxor friends spotted what had happened on my nephews Facebook Site and informed me, or should I say inquired first due to the place she died and the fact my name was mentioned in the obituary. If they had not seen it I would still be in the dark. But it was a big shock when your friend up the road calls you and lets you know.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Very sorry for your loss CE, and the way you found out. It is at times like that the UK suddenly seems a long way away isn't it :(

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 am

It does FB, but in reality 5 hours is not a long time its just now a little harder to get flights.