Visa Status, A word of warning.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Visa Status, A word of warning.

Post by WIZARD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Visa Status,

A word of warning.

This guide outlines visas and permits according to official procedures. Once you are on the ground in Egypt, you may be surprised to find your fellow expats flaunting the rules.

Due to the inefficiency rampant in most administrative offices, it is highly unlikely that anyone from the Egyptian government will ever follow up on your visa status (unless you are foolish enough to get yourself arrested). If you overstay your tourist visa by several months you may pay a fine and renew it for a near indefinite period of time. If you leave the country on an expired tourist visa you may pay a fine and continue on your way. There are expats who have lived in Egypt for years, are well-entrenched in careers and have never applied for work permits.

If you work for an Egyptian company, your employer may not even want to provide you with a work permit. When a company applies to the government to acquire a work visa it must prove that only a foreigner – not an Egyptian – is capable of doing the job. In many cases companies simply do not want to bother. Instead, they make arrangements with their HR departments to pay foreigners in cash-able checks.

The major issue with not obtaining the proper visa, ironically enough, has nothing to do with prison or deportation. If you want to travel to the Sinai Peninsula or Upper (Southern) Egypt, you will have to pass through innumerable security checkpoints. Because of the delicate security situation in some of these areas, you will not be permitted to travel to them if your passport and visa are not in order.

As a general rule it is safest to follow proper procedures as closely as possible and obtain the proper visa and permits. Be aware, however, that in some cases it may not be possible. This can sometimes depend entirely on the individual officials that you are dealing with in a given office. If you run into difficulties, always remain patient and courteous – know that you are not the first to have problems with the process, and you certainly won’t be the last!

Also this....

Egyptian Immigration Requirements: What you need to come to Egypt
Visas for Egypt: Visa types and application materials
Tourist Visas: Entry visas and renewals
Student visas for Egypt: Application and fees
Residence visas: Visas for long-term stays in Egypt
Work Visas/Permits: How to get a work permit for Egypt
Visa Status: A word of warning
Citizenship: Becoming an Egyptian citizen

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Egypt ... isa-Status

WIZARD

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Visa Status, A word of warning.

Post by Bombay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 am

Also you cannot stay in a hotel with out a current visa.
R

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 am

Last time I left Egypt, I knew that I would return around the time when my visa would expire, so I did not bother to get a reentry visa. A week before the visa would have expired, I bought a one month visa upon arrival at Cairo Airport, which I placed on the second but last page of my passport without any problem. Four weeks later I applied for an extension and a reentry visa. The last page is clearly marked: Visas in different languages. At the bottom is printed: This passport contains 32 numbered pages, in so many languages that it takes up almost half the page, but there is still room for at least one visa. My concern was that they would not squeeze in two stamps, on which my plan A was based. Plan B was getting an extension and stay long enough in Copenhagen next time to get a new passport, but I love to travel.

When my passport was new, the Embassy of Ghana put a visa on page five, leaving the first pages blank, and my last one year visa from Luxor was placed on the first visa page. Now, in Egypt you read a book from behind, so the last shall be the first, and for that reason they refuse to use page 32!

I was blamed for travelling in and out of the country too much and for leaving without a reentry visa. The last few years I have spent three times two months a year in Egypt! I was asked if I work here, without a chance to reply. How could I be supposed to get a reentry visa before leaving, not knowing the date of my return?

My visa has expired and I have gone from plan A to K and back to J. A friend insisted on calling a lawyer, so I shall try again today before going to Egyptair and change my ticket. Plan L, M and N will let me keep my rented home on the West Bank. I could of course get a new passport, but if I do not get a visa today, I still have a blank page, and I am sure that there are countries that will welcome an EU-passport holder. Plan O, P and Q involve countries with beautiful landscapes, warm, dry climate, history, sunripe fruit and good music, where I can spend my money, while my passport is still valid. If I have outstayed my welcome, I shall not spend any more time here than it will take me to pack and get on a plane.

Being Danish comes with a privilege – our alphabet consists of 29 letters, and I am not yet on plan Æ, Ø or Å.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 pm

WIZARD wrote: If you overstay your tourist visa by several months you may pay a fine ... If you leave the country on an expired tourist visa you may pay a fine and continue on your way.
Yes, that is what the big boss told me. :-)

I do not know why I had to go through all this humiliation and blame and be told that one month was too long to overstay a visa. I had already talked with Egyptair about changing my ticket, was ready to stop renting a home here if my coming and going three times a year is unacceptable. With my next passport I would visit now and then, mainly supporting Egyptair and Winter Palace and go back into the big wide world, looking for another country where I could spend my money, grateful for what eight years in and out of Luxor have taught me.

I was ready to give power to that one person at the passport office who could just have told me that Egypt does not put visas on the last page, where it says visas.

This week has not been pleasant, but it does not hurt to rethink the whole thing once in a while, to know that you are where you truly want to be – but not at any price. I have gone from plan Ø back to plan C and keep changing my mind, but you are not rid of me yet.

:le:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Alhamdilulah!
Carpe diem! :le: