Post system in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

dsaxelby

Re: Post system in Luxor

Post by dsaxelby »

And that dsaxelby is due to the fact that they had been told of your post on here so was expecting the post so made certain said post arrived at the destination point. Try not posting a post like the last post and see if the post that you have posted gets to the person expecting the post

So in a roundabout way :? you are saying its a good thing to post on here :D (positive thought) or your suggesting the forum has been infiltrated by unknown government officials 8) (negative thought) we could test the theory. I can send you something highly illegal ;) and see if it arrives.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

psst (arrives the 20th Feb - do not tell anyone) :P

It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm pleased to hear of your success Chris, but whats the point of having mags sent out if you can't open them :ni: dsaxlbey this is the point I am making. It has been suggested that the posts on here are regularly monitored by the powers that be 8) but I think that this is just another urban legend. However I did see one of my posts reproduced (without my permission I hasten to add) in the Scottish suicide weekly about how to influence people in foreign countries. :st I like the idea of your surprise package which is due to arrive on the 20th of Feb. but could you leave it until the 28th as its my creation day and its a long time :cry: since I had a prezzie. :py

Isis*dancer

Post by Isis*dancer »

Silly me posted a card from Australia to Luxor once - it took a year to arrive to the addressee. On the bright side - he eventually received it :lol:
When one door closes another opens!

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Anything I have sent from here (only a few times) has arrived okay, but my second trip I sent a pile of postcards home, all through Luxor PO, and none arrived. Lucky-dip time!
Carpe diem! :le:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Seven years ago a shop had let me use their address, and they told me that a letter had arrived. I had to bring my passport to the post office to get it. This seemed to be an unacceptable burdon to the staff at the post office, but I did get my letter. They told me that the price was 10 gineh, which I would have questioned today, and on top of this two men demanded bakshish, which they did not get. I really think I deserved it more than they did after the trouble I had gone through going from counter to counter ending up waiting in an office at the back, where they were very annoyed and even more annoyed that their attitude did not make me feel guilty enough about disturbing them to make it worth their while.

The letter was from my then boyfriend and I was very excited to open it. It contained an empty CD rom wrapped in toiletpaper - not a word. He called and asked if I had received it, and I thanked him for the most expensive sheets of toiletpaper I had ever bought. It was meant to be a test before he would send something more private or valuable. I told him to bring it instead.

Thank God for electronic mail. :roll:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Some fifteen years ago, a friend spend ONE WEEK in Cairo and after some days tried to send a letter to me in Copenhagen. He had misspelled my name, which shouldn’t be a challenge to a Danish postman, but I think that the Egyptian stamps made my typical Danish name appear too exotic and unlikely for a resident at such a posh address. In my hometown today, I would have more chances of receiving a postcard if it was written in Arabic. :lol2:

To everyone’s surprise, it was returned to him in Cairo a few days later, and he handed it over to me with several Danish and Egyptian stamps all over the envelope and a postcard with Tutankhamon inside. It has served as a bookmark in a book about Egypt ever since, I really believe that it is rare. :lol2:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

That reminds me there was one parcel I sent to an Egyptian friend via sea mail (to a PO box in Luxor) after my first trip (2003). After 3 months it hadn't arrived, so I enquired at my PO who started their procedure of investigation. After a couple of weeks and still no sign of it in Egypt, they got back to me to say it had not been sighted in Egypt according to the Egyptians. I was compensated most of the cost of the contents. A week or so later, it turned up, covered in Egyptian stamps! It had been opened, the wrapped gifts and cards opened, sealed with a km of tape and sent on it's way. My friend had had that PO box for years and works just near the PO and is known by some of the staff. We are thinking it got no further than Cairo. I have only sent letters/cards since; anything larger waits to go with me or via someone's suitcase now.
Carpe diem! :le:

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

Feel like I just have to clarify how the postal system works in Egypt.
Letters and postcards take 3-5 days to arrive in Alex from the UK. Any longer than that and they're probably lost. If you want to guarantee delivery ....get it recorded, you don't need to bother with international signed, as plain good old cheaper recorded will still force the mailman to come to your door and ask for your signature and to see your passport, and your signature will go on the scrappiest sheet of paper ever ....but it does work.

If you send a sheaf of papers in an A4 envelope - so long as it is flat it will avoid a customs stint, and often due to it's size it will still require your signature to say it got there.

Anything bigger, ie a small parcel (A5 jiffy), a large parcel, or a humongous box WILL have to go through customs no matter what is in it. It doesn't matter if you write 'personal items' 'books' 'kids toys' 'oxo cubes' or whatever ....IT WILL BE OPENED by customs. It's not you having bad luck, or them being officious, it's how the system works. Everything in the parcel will be inspected, gifts unwrapped, and if you have a letter or a card in there - it WILL be slit open. This is just how it is. If you have cash in there - they'll have you fill in a million bits of paper and you have to exchange it at their rate there and then.
CD's have to be inspected for content, as do books, used clothes carry a customs fee, new clothes have a seperate fee ....
All this happens at the main customs depot and a parcel will usually take just over a week if there is nothing exciting in it, 3 weeks if they have to figure out the charges, 5 weeks if they have to think extra hard and if it hasn't arrived by then - chances are it won't ever.

Some tips.
Write the address in BIG LETTERS, with as few words as possible. You may think you're doing yourself a favour by going into detail with precise locations; but you're not. All it does is confuse. Have someone translate what your address says on your water bill and your electric bill. That is how people find you easiest, and that is your address.
All letters that don't need a signature can be collected by anyone if you don't answer your door. Anything that needs your signature can only be collected by you, or someone that can claim a relation to you with proof. Sometimes you have to collect at the post office. In this case ....if it's just a scrat of paper - it's just a letter. If it's a blue form - it's a customs form and you'll need your passport and cash to collect. You aren't shown the parcel first - you just have to pay up and hope what's in it is worth it.
If you get a form asking you to go to the main post office, chances are whoever has sent you a letter/parcel has commited the cardinal sin of putting sellotape on it. Sellotape to seal a letter only causes a headache as only letters that are sealed with official post office tape are allowed to be delivered to prove no tampering by the postman happened - and so the letter or parcel is stopped and held in the chain to show no one in Egypt did the sellotaping and you'll have to go down there and get a rollocking off the woman behind the desk and be educated on tape usage.

Lastly .....I've had hundreds of parcels. Some are stuffed to the gills. Max I have paid was a parcel of girls dresses from an expensive shop in UK 60le. A parcel with edible goodies in usually gets 17le but quite often gets in for free ...I have a theory it depends on the selection and if you have too many multiples of one item that you then have to pay.

If you get a parcel and something is missing - you can complain. If you think the customs fee is too high - you can complain and ask for a breakdown of the charges. It takes time, but can be done.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

WOW that is all horribly complicate. I'll stick to saying no post here!

We have actually received a few official letters from the UK. Less than 50% of what was sent though. We laughed they were from the official records office, 2 of each were obviously sent out, I got 1 & Barry got the other, so I guess the postal system decided we only needed 1 of each as they said the same thing in reverse :lol:

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

. :st I like the idea of your surprise package which is due to arrive on the 20th of Feb. but could you leave it until the 28th as its my creation day and its a long time :cry: since I had a prezzie. :py
Wanted to bring you some bacon and leave it for your collection, but did not get a chance before I left :) have a far better idea, I bring and leave you a map to find it 8) (and with my location skills you could end up anywhere lol..). :?

So in memory of your creation day and surviving another year "your mission should you choose to accept it" Find the bacon :!: this message will self destruct in 5 seconds :oo or becovered in chicken curry from unknown bar :sk
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well I'm up for the challenge especially as my cover was blown of me being an International spy on the new health center post. Incidentally, we are shortly to have International Health Center two which will, I believe, be in the street adjoining Russell's world renowned Chinese restaurant and is to be run by Doctor Shaddy. Now he is a good Doc. :up

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

The post in Egypt is a lottery. Ive sent between 15 and 25 postcards from various parts of Egypt and no more than 7 have actually made it to England.

What you would expect FOR Egypt really.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Thanks Zooropa, you have now solved the mystery as to why I was receiving post cards every so often. :up

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Cannot find my post relating to Dusak and mars bars :( just so you know bought a pack of 7 mars bars thinking to place them around Luxor. Forgot that I also love mars bars and ate them :( yep all of them :!:

So will attempt to buy one at the airport at some ridiculous hour and pray that this will survive the journey :sd

My mission ' leave the mars bar alone' :ni: Attempt to frequent various places so recommended on the forum and to report honestly of the experience. To correctly name the places I visit :sd and have a lovely holiday in the sun :D
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My life, dsaxelby, is one that has been regularly punctuated by disappointments so your short laps of compassion towards a fellow human is not an unexpected one within this unit of time that I exist in. Many times in the past and I daresay will happen in the future, has had many examples of such disappointment thrust in my direction, but I'm British and made of sterner stuff to allow this one act to aggravate me to the point of suicide. Stiff upper lip and all that. But you should remember that every action has a reaction so I can't guarantee that your greed and total disregards towards capillary fat unit count will not go with out note in one of my future posts which, as we know, can elevate ones status on here or to cause them to throw in the towel and resign to join the disappeared into the blubbering thumb sucking twiglit zone.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I'm amazed by all of this, as I hadn't realised that the post was bad.

I have recently been reading a charity blog that keeps thanking people for all of the donations that they've sent by post to Luxor, so something must be working somewhere!

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

My life, dsaxelby, is one that has been regularly punctuated by disappointments so your short laps of compassion towards a fellow human is not an unexpected one within this unit of time that I exist in. Many times in the past and I daresay will happen in the future, has had many examples of such disappointment thrust in my direction, but I'm British and made of sterner stuff to allow this one act to aggravate me to the point of suicide. Stiff upper lip and all that. But you should remember that every action has a reaction so I can't guarantee that your greed and total disregards towards capillary fat unit count will not go with out note in one of my future posts which, as we know, can elevate ones status on here or to cause them to throw in the towel and resign to join the disappeared into the blubbering thumb sucking twiglit zone.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: actually BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES (in a compassionate way of course) still chuckling now.

If it was possible to regurgitate I would :roll: I can only apologise for my lack of control (as a Capricorn I stand humiliated and thoroughly ashamed :oops: ). However as an English woman (who washes) I have a chance to redeem the situation. Beware Mr D a mars bar will be placed in every location known to the forum that I frequent :!: A serious attempt will be made via this forum to correctly name the place and give you a sporting chance of retrieving said item ( before scoffed by a local or melts).

I heads up would be I will be on the move from the 29th March 8)

(please God give me the strength to walk away)
It is what it is.

Ayisha Hassan
Egypt

Post by Ayisha Hassan »

I once had to send some signed papers to the bank in UK so toddles off to the PO with them, explained they are VERY important and need to be there FAST. Was told 120le for FAST, 3-5 days, or 11le for normal, 1-3 weeks. I paid the 120 le for FAST, they arrived 3 weeks later.

Another time I was receiving something posted in UK, a parcel that needed to be signed for which arrived in 1 week, of course it had been opened. :vs