Unrest in Luxor this morning.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Unrest in Luxor this morning.

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 pm

A bit of unrest in Luxor this morning, outside Haggag Square between the Morsi Supporters and the non Morsi Supporters, plenty of shouting going on but no fighting. At the end of the day there is nothing they can do, he is the President he was voted in fair and square and in a Democratic way. all this type of thing does is make Tourists nervous. There were a few there looking anxious.

Teddyboy

Re: Unrest in Luxor this morning.

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:51 pm

It's not unlike turkeys voting 'Yes' for Christmas, don't you think?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:38 pm

He might have been voted in "fair and square"but I'll be honest and say that whilst there I didn't speak to ANYONE who voted for him! Indeed,those I did speak to were less than complimentary about him,especially the women in my circle of friends.They expressed an element of fear...they want more freedom...not less!
I'd say it's an anxious time for everyone there,not just the tourists.
Cairo has once again been brought to the forefront of news,the reports are even being shown here in this historically deprived backwater known as Scotland!
So what next?A dictatorship?An Islamic state?Or another revolution to oust yet another President?
Just another thing to fret about when visiting Luxor!
But as usual,I'll be in the minority...cos I'm the only one who didn't feel it was safer than my own home town!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:11 am

It has to be disheartening in the extreme to all those who participated in the Arab Spring in the hope of obtaining a better life situation for themself and ridding their county of a repressive government. It typically takes time for individuals to develop a sense power which can lead to megalomania. Morsi is moving in that direction quickly and eliminating any and all constraints on himself with lightening speed.

Soon this man is going to throw out edicts that can be totally and completely disruptive to the lives of many. Highly doubt he cares now that he was democratically elected. He is 'IN' power, grasping 'MORE & ABSOLUTE' power which, to me means, he will never call another election.

How Egyptians chose to accept his rule is to be seen. I think we are really seeing the beginning of something that is going to have profound and detrimental effects on many. Tourism isn't even going to be a consideration IMO to the Morsi & MB.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 am

Regarding the President, I am yet a little confused, has he done what he has done to say, "I have had enough with delays and put off's, if you cannot get your act together, get off your backsides and work, I will make You!!!" or is it a case of "I'm in the money" The Country has been so corrupt for over 40 years now it will take a very powerful man to lift it out of this stage and maybe the only way would be to force it and get the Lazy B's to work for their money!!! I would like to think he is going to weed out the wheat from the chaff, and get the Country working again, but Its unheard of for a Country to be as stagnant as what Egypt is at the moment and just proves that people have no idea what democracy is! The man was voted in fair and square!!

I think its fair to say the Tourist season is not going to be good again this year. People in Europe are noticing that Hurghada and Sharm along with other Red Sea Resorts are getting advertised well this year but Luxor has dropped off the map.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:02 am

One of the reasons ST did not find many Morsi supporters here is that it was one of the few governorates that overwhelmingly rejected him in the ballot, their thought being that Mubarak brought stability, and that stability brought more tourists. Forget the corruption of him and his cronies, forget the police state, forget the suspension of civil liberties - we're only interested in the money!

I was in Luxor yesterday getting some photos printed, when I heard shouting outside the shop - went to look, and there were about 40 men walking down the street shouting slogans. All very peaceful, and the traffic flowed as normal. Despite these small demonstrations, there were more tourists about than when I was last in Luxor, and most tables in Sindbad's were occupied. Maybe they realised that Luxor is not Cairo or Alexandria, and it was OK for them to be there. As for the Red Sea resorts being promoted more than Luxor, that has been going on for years now - I've always thought that Luxor is not a mass tourism destination, but more of a destination for what is termed "Cultural Tourism", although the Nile Cruise is still a popular holiday for many.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:46 am

I wouldn't have said Luxor "overwhelmingly" rejected Mr Morsi. He got 47 per cent of the votes against 53 per cent for Ahmed Shafiq ... the difference was 16,000 votes. Mr Shafiq certainly bucked the trend in Upper Egypt by "winning" Luxor, and I suspect tourism was the deciding factor. Luxor was firmly in favour of the Brotherhood/FJP in the parliamentary polls when the FJP promised that tourism was safe. In the presidential run-off, Mr Shafiq's team mounted a widespread "talking" campaign among locals who rely on tourism that Mr Morsi and the Brothers were out to ban tourism and thus ruin Luxor. Many believed that for tourism the old regime was better!

Subversion

Post by Subversion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 am

The problem is for most of the world that democracy isn't a concept that is intrinsically understood - while you have a right to voice an opposing view that does not ergo mean you get your own way.

Similarly nor is dictatorship necessarily undemocratic - if it represents the will of the majority to vest power in one individual then it is a democratic choice.

But the additional issue for countries emerging from dictatorial control is that whilst they know what they don't want - they don't know what it is they do want and within that what is reasonably achievable.

Just for good measure, add an existing infrastructure which is crippled by corruption and complexity, a population in poverty , and unbalanced economy dependent on international aid, warring neighbours, high levels of illiteracy and a state religion that in its practical interpretation supports neither equality or individual expression.

Perhaps the best any country in that position can do is to be led by a benevolent dictator?

Much of what will happen comes down to Morsi's personal integrity - it is not the issue that he holds power but how he chooses to use it. How he leads the people of Egypt toward a healthy understanding of democracy and how he builds infrastructure so that the majority are able to participate in democractic process.

As for the issue of tourist numbers - no economy that has its eggs in one basket can be considered either healthy or stable - whilst mass tourism may solve an immediate problem its a bit like putting an elastoplast on a decapitation.

S x

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Subversion wrote:But the additional issue for countries emerging from dictatorial control is that whilst they know what they don't want - they don't know what it is they do want and within that what is reasonably achievable.
Especially if all most of the population has known for decades is nothing like a democracy of any type.

All you say is very true, Sub.

"...its a bit like putting an elastoplast on a decapitation." :up :lol:
Carpe diem! :le:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Like what you're saying Sub