2 men steal tourists bag at gunpoint in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

2 men steal tourists bag at gunpoint in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Please be extra carefull when out and about, and make sure you dont carry anything valuable in your bags.

This afternoon a women was held up by 2 men holding a gun, they fled off with her bag, for some unknown reason she would not report it to the police. The incident took place on a street near new Telecom Egypt, just off new Televison street.

Barb

Re: 2 men steal tourists bag at gunpoint in Luxor

Post by Barb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 pm

The fact that she refused to report it has made me more angry than it actually happening. We fought hard to get the meeting with the governor and the chief of police to get things like this sorted out but how can it be stopped if people dont report it to the police. The police have now had ORDERS from the governor and the freedom and justice party that they MUST respond to any report like this immediately and deal with it!!!!

chiddy

Post by chiddy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 pm

isn't this quite a way from the "normal" tourist area?
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes it is Chiddy. Unless you knew the area you wouldnt venture up that far.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:40 pm

chiddy wrote:isn't this quite a way from the "normal" tourist area?
Actualy we see quite a few tourists walking or riding hired pushbikes in this area.

On another note:

We have heard another story that the landlord convinced the woman not to report it (it happened apparently near where she lives) so maybe the landlord is scared of the police coming to his premises for some unknown reason (maybe avoiding tax or the tourist is not registered there).

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Well then the landlord should be arrested too for perverting the course of justice, or whatever its called!!!! He would be the first one to complain if it happened to his wife or daughter!!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 pm

chiddy wrote:isn't this quite a way from the "normal" tourist area?
Possibly not if you are renting a flat from someone. (I don't know - just a thought!)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Barb wrote:The police have now had ORDERS from the governor and the freedom and justice party that they MUST respond to any report like this immediately and deal with it!!!!
I read this a while ago and have been trying to get my head round it ever since.

Does the governor and/or the Freedom and Justice party have the authority to ORDER the police to do anything?

I don't actually know who the police do take orders from so am trying my hardest to understand this. Mind you as soon as one question is answered it seems to raise more questions as far as Luxor is concerned at the moment!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:15 am

They must take orders from someone, they flooded the West Bank last week, on hearing about the rise in 24 hour armed Vigilante Groups setting up to stop kidnapping and car jacking at gunpoint, and there have been a number of traffic checks since then on the West Bank.

I just hope the total lack of effective Policing since the Revolution has not gone too far, for them to recover it!

One of the biggest problems Egypt has at the moment is, everyone has heard of the word Democracy, but very few know what it means and that includes the powers that be!

The Egyptian take on Democracy is freedom, freedom to do what they want and beyond that nothing, it reminds me a little of Woolfie Smith and his revolution, talk talk talk, and no results. So many people in Luxor now are openly saying that things were better under Mubarak, there were tourists, they had money, they could feed their families, now nothing, and the anger is growing fast. If the authorities do not get the key turned soon it could become a powder keg with a short fuse.

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, I hope that the person that this happened to is ok.
If someone waved a gun around in front of me, I'd be a bit bloody shook up and wanting to get home as soon as.

As for the F&JP ordering police .......hope they take heed of what happened to the NDP for trying to run the police.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Well if it's true then she should be made to report it, sod her handbag what about two guys running around with guns.
Where is her sense of community spirit, was she a tourist or an egyptian.
Also be honest with the locals, tell them the tourists will not be returning and the good times ore over....:cool:
“To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Just talking about tourists returning it is now November and they seem very thin on the ground at the moment maybe next month hey! or the month after after that! or maybe the month after that? Just be aware that until money starts to drizzle back into the locals pockets these things will keep on happening. Rgarding the non reporting to the Police, it seems as though the tourists are well up to speed on the fact nothing gets done.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Biggest shock on reading this post is fact that it has generated so few replies!!!!
Is this just "run of the mill"stuff?The kind that warrants the "oh dear,not again"attitude?
Really strange that my own post stating my opinions on what I found,i.e. the decline,poverty,unwarranted hassle and general feelings of not feeling safe in Luxor unleashed such a backlash!!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm

"Is this just "run of the mill"stuff?"

No, of course it's not. It's shocking! But what would you have us write, ST? It's not as if it happens every day, as it does in many other places. But also, it's not as if we expect Luxor to be a 'crime free zone' like some sort of Shangri La, either.
Personally, I'm quite surprised that it has generated the number of answers it already has, even though they've gone off at a bit of a tangent. It seems that no-one knows the victim or has any first hand knowledge of the incident, so any discussion or comment would be the usual hearsay and rumour, it's not as if it's something we can have differing opinions on, is it?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Teddyboy wrote:"Is this just "run of the mill"stuff?"

No, of course it's not. It's shocking! But what would you have us write, ST? It's not as if it happens every day, as it does in many other places. But also, it's not as if we expect Luxor to be a 'crime free zone' like some sort of Shangri La, either.
Personally, I'm quite surprised that it has generated the number of answers it already has, even though they've gone off at a bit of a tangent. It seems that no-one knows the victim or has any first hand knowledge of the incident, so any discussion or comment would be the usual hearsay and rumour, it's not as if it's something we can have differing opinions on, is it?
Maybe it's just a result of the decline,poverty and lack of security that I commented on TB!
Maybe this "tourist"actually read the forum and believed that he/she would be safer walking the streets of Luxor than anywhere else!
Cos that's definitely impression I got from some after posting!It's "Shangri-La"everyone is safe and happy,locals,ex-pats and tourists!
Come,enjoy,don't worry!Appreciate the fresh smelling earth after the rain,look to the wildlife,the egrets,the donkeys,etc,etc....but for God's sake...don't say anything negative!!!!
I sincerely hope this "tourist" is ok...and really think this report will make tourists think twice about visiting...more so than my post could ever do!!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:48 am

Quote:I sincerely hope this "tourist" is ok...and really think this report will make tourists think twice about visiting...more so than my post could ever do!!

Oh! I really do hope so, 'less is more in my book, honestly Margate should attract any happy tourist looking for that foreign feeling...:cool:
Sophocles.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:46 am

"Maybe it's just a result of the decline,poverty and lack of security that I commented on TB!"

If that's the case, then what excuse do all the other, similar sized, tourist destinations have?

"Maybe this "tourist"actually read the forum and believed that he/she would be safer walking the streets of Luxor than anywhere else! Cos that's definitely impression I got from some after posting!It's "Shangri-La"everyone is safe and happy,locals,ex-pats and tourists!"

That's still, generally, quite true. As far as I'm aware, this is the only incidence of a tourist in the street being robbed at gunpoint during the five years or so that I've been here.

The majority of normal Egyptian people are like people anywhere, warm and welcoming. But there are others, (and aren't they present in every society?) who treat people for whom they have no respect abominably! In places like Luxor, these people's personal (ignorant) interpretation of their own cultural norms excuses this behaviour! This is the reason why we should endeavour to appear respectable when in their country, and as I've said before; it's not our ideas of respectability that might make the difference, it's theirs!!!!

Nevertheless, crime is crime, wherever we are, and is inexcusable. But being alone in relatively quiet areas, where 'rich' tourists are known to live, can sometimes present a situation which is a temptation too far for these creatures.

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Come to Alex.
Alex is Safe.

:mrgreen:

At least I'm not being told to Eff off back to my country and watch gun toting yokels race around.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 pm

See, if Thompsons et al had stayed in Ayia Napa or Torremelnos or Lloret de Mar 2O years ago and had not bothered with cheap end holiday makers arriving en-mass to Egypt, land of culture and no beaches then there would have been no get rich quick, no half built hotels or thousands of empty apartments and no muggings.
So all in all, this so-called economic tourist downturn is totally due to bloody cheap end tour companies and bloody cheap tourists who would have been perfectly happy staying in the Costa bloody del Sol.
So all current crime, despondency, abuse to tourists is of their own making, life before tourists in Luxor was different and was certainly a nicer place to live, which with the current economic climate will return but leavings the locals with a grudge against most foreigners. So stop knocking us ex-pats who chose to live in Egypt and bugger off back to Margate or a day trip to Calais and moan about getting mugged there....:cool:
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:48 pm

My opinion is that it's still bad but not quite so bad as it was. Guns weren't usually involved but motorbike muggings WERE becoming an everyday occurrence about a year or so ago. People on here would no doubt claim that because it happened to me I have a jaundiced view. But I don't think so. There are almost as many women of my aquaintance who have been similarly attacked as haven't. But report it? Yes, you should but you'll probably be wasting your time. And talk about anything like that on here? You must be bloody joking! If my experience is anything to go by you would only expose yourself to ridicule and gross insensitivity. I'm no longer allowed to talk about it anyway as it was deemed to be a 'never ending story'. As a matter of fact I was set about by a drunk here in Hurghada (even here in Hurghada) a couple of nights ago. An unpleasant experience certainly. And a scary one. But I know know where to seek support if I need it and when not to bother. Maybe the lady robbed at gunpoint felt the same.

And by the way Who, what is your bloody obsession with Margate? Why do you need to use it as the benchmark to measure everywhere else against? I've travelled to many other countries, many far flung and often by myself. But I've never been attacked in any of them.