The beginning of the end.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The beginning of the end.

Post by BENNU » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 pm

:tk When I read about infighting, boredom and gutter dwellers, I realise that I do not know that many foreigners in Luxor and the large numbers, returning in droves, I did not get to meet, but then I live a quiet life. I hope that the ones I know will be around when I return next month - you are wonderful people, and I MISS YOU!!! :ks

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm

I do absolutely think that those posters who have cited the recession as a cause for the lack of tourists have the right of it to a certain extent! I've just been quoted £750 pp for 2 weeks b&b in Aswan for the beginning of October. It seems a lot to me but when I priced up the flight and the hotel separately, it came to more, so..................... :(

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am

Well with all these people leaving or being told to leave and half full or half empty planes and with the world recession Egypt sounds like the perfect quiet place to retire, but then that's only my opinion. Tomorrow is a brand new day.:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am

Bullet Magnet wrote:..All my local Monday and Wednesday flights have now moved to ONE Saturday only flight....

Says it all really.. :cool:

when does that start? my mum is flying from manchester to visit me 24/10 and that is still a wednesday flight up to now with Thomson.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am

Robbo70 wrote:
Bullet Magnet wrote:..All my local Monday and Wednesday flights have now moved to ONE Saturday only flight....

Says it all really.. :cool:

when does that start? my mum is flying from manchester to visit me 24/10 and that is still a wednesday flight up to now with Thomson.
Yip, Thompson's !! :cg

http://www.thomson.co.uk/thomson/page/b ... Name=Egypt - Nile&tuiCtryCode=EGY&tuiDestCode=000846&tuiResortCode=&tuiAccomCode=&numAdults=2&numChildren=0&childInfantAges=&departureAirportCode=MAN&destinationCode=430

I have been looking for end of August early September, and the first flight out of Manchester was the 1st of September Robbo.
(That is a Saturday) That surprised me, as I was expecting a Monday or Wednesday flight. Anyway, it's full now and I will probably have to look elsewhere.
I was going to head off to Mexico, then realised it was hurricane season.. :urm:
I'll probably stay at home now and tour the mountians and sacred sites around here, oh ! and buy myself a new car with the money I save :cool:

The old Vectra has done more miles than the Millenium Falcon, and the hyprespace function ( Turbo ) no longer works as often as I would like when having to get past the bloody English 4x4's with their Caravan in tow !!..
I almost killed one old couple last week in their little red micra ! Some part or another fell off during an heroic overtaking manover on a tight bend and hit thier car with quite a loud thud.. I guess they were OK, as I didnt see any ambulances.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:56 pm

If it's of any interest, I booked my trip for next January in April this year.

I was worried for a while, as I now book my flights and hotel separately and kept getting prices of £450 just for the flight. Then one day it suddenly went down to £230 inc 20kg luggage, so I booked it there and then. I am flying with TC from Manchester on a Wednesday.

I also know of a group of about 25 who are also travelling out at the same time as me on their annual visit to Luxor. They've been booked since May, so not everyone is being put off.

Azurite

Post by Azurite » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm sure hard times here are an issue, but having said that .....
I don't know whether it's tour ops fiddling with seats & rooms or increased taxes on flights or what but prices are completely potty !!!!!!!!

:ni: :tk

Georgiaturkiye

Re: The beginning of the end or the start of the beginning..

Post by Georgiaturkiye » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am

Well I am hoping it is not the first but the latter comment!! I am relocating to Luxor from Istanbul insh Allah in late September early October, after living here for more than 5 years, my reasons are many and varied. There has also been a huge Exodus of ex-patsleaving Istanbul and this is climbing steadily. The reasons are varied again, but mostly due to the cost of living here which was very good now it's almost as high if not higher than the UK and other European countries; e.g. a normal bottle of gin, and not Gordons....is 39 Lira, 20 English pounds 75cl, o.k. yes, you might say that's a luxury, and, you are right it is!! but it's an example of what ex-pats have to pay if they want even a little luxury in their daily life. That, and more, coupled with the changing atmosphere of this once so beautiful city it's now becoming not so beautiful from within, there are many other reasons also. I think, believe, that ex-pats tend to move around as and when they will. For many reasons but mainly just to find somewhere that really suits them. Hey we are free, why not show our freedom and move around the world!!

I am hoping, insh Allah that tourism will return to the country, and Luxor in particular, and I believe it will given time, and when the media decides to stop scare mongering. There's a lot of crime here also due to many reasons, sometimes the crime is highlighted sometimes it's kept quiet....but it's here.....no where is perfect....there is no such a place as Shangrila or Nervahna but I hope to find a make a home almost akin to both when I am there....if this is God's Will. We must try to be positive and not to surround ourselves with negativity; negativity is a destructive emotion and not one that I personally need in my life. So keep your chins up. You are all very fortunate to be living in such a beautiful and historical and cultural part of the world. I am looking forward to the many challenges I will have there, I've survived them here, al'Hamedullah and I will, insh Allah there.

x

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 am

Many of the foreign population living here would not think gin is a luxury!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan