Going home

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Going home

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 am

Thinking of going home to meet up with my daughter while she is there on holiday from Australia, we have not met for almost 4 years and this seems to be the perfect opportunity. She has not set a date yet but I just hope it does not run into the Winter Months.

When you have lived her for almost 3 years, I worry about the cold and rain of the UK, it seems as though most people go during the Summer months for obvious reasons, but also there are a few who decide on September to go home for a few weeks to enjoy the late Summer in the UK, my daughter is flexible when she can go but is thinking about September herself, has anyone been home in the early Autumn and did you experience the temperature shock between Egypt and the UK. I do not think I could survive a Winter again in the UK! but seem to remember September could sometimes be warm enough probably not to worry about the differences. Otherwise it may be next year when we can meet up again. which will take it to 4 years without seeing each other. It is a problem when she lives in Brisbane, and you have to be real about how often you can possibly see each other. Sometimes I wonder if the distance between us makes us grow apart. I just wish we could be like alot of others and see our family every year, for a few weeks at a time.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Going home

Post by FABlux » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 pm

We make our last family visit of the year in October & yes it is damned cold! September shouldn't be too bad as long as you wrap up warm. The higher humidity makes it feel warmer than it really is.
Enjoy the visit & seeing family.

It always surprises me when people who live here say "going home", we call it "going to the UK" but I know a lot of people do still call the UK home :?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 pm

We are always at 'home' for the Christmas hols; couldn't imagine Christmas being apart from our family. But we cannot wait to get back 'home' to the warmth!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 am

Yes, you do get climatised to the Egyptian weather, and I can well imagine that those that go home on a regular basis do feel the cold. I am sure i certainly would. Must be brave to go home at Christmas time though the cold must be intense. But also can understand why people do go home for the "Family Christmas" that is something I must admit I do miss here. Last year there was no sign of Christmas here, the lights did not go up in Luxor, (Maybe due to the lack of tourism), but it made Christmas and New Year, just like any other day. We never even put the Tree up last year, we just did not feel there was any Christmas Spirit around at all, unless of course you may have been at the good Dr's home, ha ha!!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 am

I'm definitely acclimatised here - winter's day - 28C and I feel cold, while visitors tell me how wonderful it is to be warm again!

And as for Christmas - it's a positive benefit to be living here, where it is largely ignored.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 am

Well, I don't know what the weather will be like when you do go Choc, but I can honestly say I'm not missing the Egyptian weather at all at the moment. It's perfect in England right now, sunny and warm without being humid. Getting out to the open spaces is a real pleasure right now. I'm due to go to Turkey in a couple of weeks but if it keeps as nice as this here I might be reluctant to go! :)

chiddy

Post by chiddy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 am

can only say that we had the best Christmas for a long time last year in Luxor - superb day with lots of friends - sail on the river then a meal and then a visit to a friends house - excellent and hope this year similar :)