A Serious Incident.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A Serious Incident.

Post by A-Four » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Yesterday evening at about 7 p.m. a dear friend, and a senior member of this forum was attacked by a man on a motor bike, who attempted to steal her hand bag. Nothing new in that A-Four, you may say to your self.

When this man failed in his first attempt, he turned around the bike, and made a mad dash at speed directly at her for the second attempt, she was dragged along the ground for some distance. However, any one who knows this lady, you will know she has true grit, and he failed again. He sped off leaving my friend on the ground, screaming for help, where a European person, in a local restaurant heard her cry for help. Local guardians of property failed to come to her assistance.

The incident happened in a side street, to the East of, but very near the police H.Q. in Luxor. I am pleased to tell you all that my friend is recovering well with only a few cuts and scrapes, and am sure we all on here wish her well. She asked me to write this up as a warning to all of us.

As we all know there are problems up in Cairo, Alex, Suez and yes even down in Asswan, but here yesterday in Luxor, there was a demonstration in the afternoon at the council offices next to the old Etap, then at 9 p.m. a much more serious demonstration occurred at Luxor Police H.Q. that went on for an hour and half.

You should not regard Luxor as safe, and it makes me sad to say this. I could say more, however, as I have said in the past - You may say what you like on here, but as long as this flag is by my name - I could not possibly comment.

A-Four.

Dendara

Post by Dendara » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:03 pm

How sad Afour, please do give the person in question my best wishes.

Thank you for letting us know what is happening in Luxor, as always your posts are appreciated.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:17 pm

A description of the swine and the motorbike would be helpful A-four. I hope your friend is okay, please give her my best.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

steve

Post by steve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm

I really am thinking if it is a good idea for me to visit in December :(
I'm told some people put manure on their rhubarb. I prefer custard!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 pm

You could always go to Islington, great heritage, great bars, theaters, St Pauls the Tate and loads of really cheap hotels £15Oquid a night nothing, oh! yeah and your guaranteed to get mugged if walking around at night...'but hey what's new ? it's an age old tradition foot-padding, highway robbery we make them into heroes...8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Oh no! :x Hugs to whoever this dreadful assault as happened to.!

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm

steve wrote:I really am thinking if it is a good idea for me to visit in December :(
I decided a few weeks ago that IF I visit in the New Year I shall not be bringing my Son with me- not worth the risk!

Minttea

Post by Minttea » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:15 pm

glad you are ok......sounds like they meant business.....good to have this info on here...

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Terrible! Was it reported to the police and did they respond more positively than in CG's experience?

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:36 pm

I do hope the Lady in question is Ok A-Four..
This was not an acceptable thing to happen to anyone at all. :x

I am assuming that due to the location of this incident, she is no 2 week BT ?

Where this attack took place is not in the usual tourist area's, so I still stand by what I said that If you are a tourist, then stay in the well lit populated area's, and keep your wit's about you, just as you would in ANY foreign country..

In these times, I would say BE AWARE... not Beware, that's scaremongering language.

These are desperate times, and the locals are coping well, I would like to see any city in the west cope as well as the people of Luxor have done..

Dont forget , there are some serious criminals who may be in Luxor, after HM let them all out of prison during the revolution.
These sort will operate in the dark though, as they know they are being hunted down, all be it "half heartedly" by Authority.

Ideally, word of this attack needs to go out onto the streets of Luxor, with as much detail as possible. Justice will come. . . 8)

Anyway, I hope the lady in question makes a full and swift recovery, put the whole thing behind her and chalk it up to experience in these troubled times..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I was told about this incident today and I thought it happened in Little Britain Street, which if is true regarding the location, this lady was not off the beaten track but in an area well populated by tourists.
An incident occured a couple of years ago during Ramadan which sounds exactly the same, so we cant say that this happened due to the revolution or the absense of police. It has also happened to Egyptian women.
I sincerely hope the lady makes a full recovery very quickly, it is not always the physical damage that has the most lasting effect but the mental trauma. I am sure that I speak for everyone on the forum when I say take care keep well.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Maybe we should take to carrying walking canes to stick in the front whell spokes of these motorcyclists...

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 pm

This is an awful thing happen to anyone, regardless of where it occurred, and hope the person in question makes a speedy recovery.
It s very sad that there so much complacency towards these incidents, a far cry from how things were, and MB it wasn't HM that set prisoners free, they attacked police and escaped.

This is from a Egypt travel company, how it should be.

Egypt is a safe destination. Crime in Egypt nearly does not exist. Security is good and there are specially trained Tourist Police.The buses move in convoys for protection. The Egyptian government take so much care of the tourism as it is the national source of income in Egypt. the tourist in Egypt is VIP person So the Egyptian police provide police cars, security, guards around all the buses.[/i]
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Angel gabriel

Post by Angel gabriel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 pm

How appauling, I am coming out this Wednesday for my 5th visit this year and have to say for the very first time am feeling a little apprehensive this evening whilst watching the news.

I'm sure this apprehension will disappear upon arrival when i see familiar faces, but personally feel it is a worrying time in Egypt.

I hope the lady in question is feeling a little better.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Maybe we should take to carrying walking canes to stick in the front whell spokes of these motorcyclists...
Should do the trick nicely C.E, and a very bright torch to shine in their eye's. ( You should have said torch in the evening's regardless )..
Nothing too defensive, fear breeds fear..

Carrie,
A-Four is rather Vague in his account of WHERE this happened, He knows the area well and should have named the street and location..

Side street, East of the Police HQ.. European in a "Local" restaurant.. does not imply "Heart of L.B" to me ?
Last edited by Bullet Magnet on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:I am assuming that due to the location of this incident, she is no 2 week BT ?
What does this mean please. Not everyone knows all the various abreviations that others use on forums.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Sorry Beryl :oops:

Its a Saying A-Four uses, it means "Bloody Tourist" :lol:

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Bullet Magnet, thank you.

I've yet to meet an expat yet who wasn't a 'BT' once upon a time! :roll:

I do hope that this lady, regardless of her resident status, is not too shocked and traumatised by this whole incident.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Surely "Little Britain" is south of the police HQ and runs west from Medina to Khalid Ibn Al Walid.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I'd tend to agree with Choc that a good walking cane is in order and am sure a got shot of pepper spray wouldn't hurt either. Desperate bad actions in very trying times. I quite agree everybody needs to BE AWARE.