kites

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

kites

Post by carrie »

For weeks now I have seen kids running round in plus 40 degree heat, with not a breath of wind, trying to get their home made kites to fly.
Once only did I see one in the sky, nevertheless the children persist.
I don't know where the idea started but it spread like wildfire.
It is really nice to see, kids out enjoying themselves with a toy that cost virtually nothing to make but gives so much pleasure.
Despite all the difficulties here children play they are not cooped up with their iPad isolated in bedrooms, watching rubbish on TV. Long may it last.
A few months ago the rage was for clackers, before that marbles who knows what the next will be but good on you children of Luxor have fun.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: kites

Post by DJKeefy »

I thought they had been banned due to a threat to national security :roll:

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1703291/middle-east

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I just composed a long reply to this topic. Just as I posted my internet went down and I've lost the post. :-(
Suffice it to say, I love to see kites flying, and until about 6 years ago would always keep a kite in the boot of my car. I still have a couple of kites which I must pass on to someone who will be able to get some fun out flying them. I alas no longer have the time or energy required.

With tuppence for paper and strings,
you can have your own set of wings,
with your feet on the ground you're a bird in flight,
with your fist holding tight, to the string of your kite.
Oh, oh, oh...let's go fly a kite,
Up to the highest height,
Let's go fly and kite and send it soaring,
Up through the atmosphere,
Up where the air is clear,
Oh let's go...fly a kite.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

When I first started visiting Luxor I was surprised not to see any kites. I'm not sure why that was, unless perhaps I had read books where kite flying was mentioned as such a popular pastime in other Arabic countries.

I once took some simple kites and gave them to a friends children as gifts. They hadn't had a clue what to do with them, which again surprised me.

Kite flying was always a highlight of my childhood holidays. I think that must have partly been down to it being an activity that my dad would instigate and spend time with me doing. It was one of those special 'us' times. Since then I've always owned a kite, and although not a regular or great kite flyer, I used to keep one in the car. I have been known when out and about, if I thought the weather conditions, and landscape, suitable, to stop off and try to get my kite airborne. I've also received more than the odd look, after all it's not everyday you see a short dumpy woman, beyond her middle age, attempting to catch the breeze beneath the wings of her kite - without getting winded herself.

I do still have a couple of kites, but have been intending to pass them on to someone who would get some fun out of them, someone who has the energy to run and the strength to hold on if the wind really does take hold. Hopefully I'll find someone who won't mind me tagging along to watch from the comfort of my picnic chair, flask of coffee by my side.

It's lovely to hear that kite flying appears to have become popular in Luxor. For those not living near the high rises, or the telephone/electricity wires, it's a fun thing to do.

Whilst writing, I have the song Let's Go Fly a Kite , from Mary Poppins, going around in my head. Another childhood favourite.
With tuppence for paper and strings, you can have your own set of wings...
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:51 pm
I thought they had been banned due to a threat to national security :roll:

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1703291/middle-east
True....although the issue was primarily one raised by Alexandria and Cairo.

In true Egyptian style, I think people just ignored the ban as a particularly ridiculous flexing of muscles by the local authorities .

Security risk indeed! :lol: However, I believe there were some casualties, presumably involving overhead wires. Not that I’ve particularly noticed public safety being high on the agenda :urm:

Kite flying is a popular pastime in the Middle East....as anyone who’s watched/read The Kite Runner will know.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm
A few months ago the rage was for clackers, before that marbles who knows what the next will be but good on you children of Luxor have fun.
I remember clackers from the time when they were popular in the UK - early 1970's I think. I had some beautiful bright orange glass ones, very much like giant marbles themselves. I was very in to orange in those days. It didn't take long for my clackers to become ornamental items, and then dust collectors, as I could not bear the pain after they had bashed my wrists a couple of times - I say wrists because I was stupid enough to use my right hand and then, when I smashed that wrist, I swapped to using my left hand and managed to smash that wrist. At times I'm a slow learner.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:05 pm
carrie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm
I remember clackers from the time when they were popular in the UK - early 1970's I think. I had some beautiful bright orange glass ones, very much like giant marbles themselves. I was very in to orange in those days. It didn't take long for my clackers to become ornamental items, and then dust collectors, as I could not bear the pain after they had bashed my wrists a couple of times - I say wrists because I was stupid enough to use my right hand and then, when I smashed that wrist, I swapped to using my left hand and managed to smash that wrist. At times I'm a slow learner.
Clackers were another toy that received a ban back in 2017 from killjoy Egyptian bureaucracy.

They couldn’t find It was a threat to national security, nor was it an obvious health risk....Egyptian kids being a bit more skilled than Hepzibah😂.

No....the problem was their street name ....”Sisi’s B*lls”.

https://stepfeed.com/egypt-banned-a-toy ... -sisi-5480

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

The local children are frequently seen flying small, home-made kites in the car/coach park at Medinet Hubu, usually in the late afternoon. This is one of the breezier parts of Luxor West Bank.