All that glitter???

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: All that glitter???

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 am
Right and wrong, I think you are talking about Lord & Lady Hatton.
Wrong garden though.... 8)
As you say...in his efforts to enthrall us with his knowledge, A-Four has got terribly muddled. :lol:

The name Covent Garden is derived from its erstwhile history as land owned by the convent (sic) of Westminster Abbey. Nothing to do with a mythical Mr & Mrs Covent. Where the Bleeding Heart comes into it.....you’d better ask A-Four when he sobers up.

Hatton Garden is named after Sir Christopher Hatton, a favourite of Elizabeth I who persuaded the Bishop of Ely to grant Sir Christopher a lease of land in the area owned by the Ely Cathedral

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 am
Right and wrong, I think you are talking about Lord & Lady Hatton.
Wrong garden though.... 8)
Yes, you are correct my dear Dr, I think you realised that when I mentioned the Silver Vault which I am sure you are aware is opposite Hatton Garden.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The reason why I did not give Mr and Mrs Hatton's full title, Is because of a very outrageous correspondence between the Bishop of Ely and Queen Elizabeth l.

The land around where now is The Bleeding Heart, was at that time a herb field, which the then bishop sold on the annual produce, and of course was used disguise the taste of salted rancid meat during the winter months. There memains a small estate still held by the Bishop of Ely to this day In that area, so I am told, and still maintains the services of a 'beagle', to keep out the 'riff-raff'.

I am sure some one will do the usual Internet search on here.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:51 am
The reason why I did not give Mr and Mrs Hatton's full title, Is because of a very outrageous correspondence between the Bishop of Ely and Queen Elizabeth l.
The correspondence to which you refer was unmasked as fake years ago.

Even were it true that Elizabeth had admonished the Bishop of Ely, I cannot, for the life of me, see why it would prevent you from giving Hatton his correct title.....which is Sir Christopher Hatton. Not Lord Hatton, or Mr Hatton ( there was never a Mrs Hatton) or anything else.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The old Bleeding Heart Bistro above the Bleeding Heart which incidentally, also contains one of London's greatest wine cellars.

There is a rarely used back-door directly into Ely Place, which is not actually in London it's in Cambridge. true!

There's a great pub down there called the Old Mitre up an alley, the Queens' clown drinks in there, Billy.

The bleeding heart was Lady Hatton's I believe, found on the cobbles.. 8)
Ps: As you enter the Yard off Greville St on your right is an odd looking town house, it's
The Scottish Malt Whisky Soc, they also offer Port, highly exclusive...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 pm
There is a rarely used back-door directly into Ely Place, which is not actually in London it's in Cambridge. true!
Absolutely correct my dear Dr, and you will perhaps recall that at the very entry to Ely Place there is a gate house in the middle of the street. If you look carefully in this small building it is quite self contained, including fireplace and chimney. This was the position where up until the 1930's a beadle (very similar in dress to that in the Charles Dickens character style) was employed not to protect the area, but to prevent any rogues seeking 'protection' from the law. Anyone who managed to enter Ely Place could NOT be arrested by the London Metropolitan police, if they managed to gain access would be tried in Cambridge and not London, and in truth often such offenders never even came to trial.

There is also information about this area that relates to the Hatton's,......let's not let on too much though. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:51 am
There memains a small estate still held by the Bishop of Ely to this day In that area, so I am told, and still maintains the services of a 'beagle', to keep out the 'riff-raff'.
It must be a much more ferocious “beagle” than our old pet.....which invariably hid under the stairs when anyone knocked on the door. :)))
B7F24AB9-B57B-4B13-BEDA-21E5F4DA26D2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.