Luxor mafia's hidden source of prosperity

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Luxor mafia's hidden source of prosperity

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:00 pm

The list of lawyers provided by the Embassy are just that a list, they are not recommended by the Embassy in any way. I do believe, may be wrong, that things are improving, the courts now insist on an independant translator and make sure that you understand everything you have signed before they will register the documents. And also these scams don't just happen to Europeans, Egyptians try to cheat Egyptians.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, in all the cases which were related recently to the person discussed, the Naabel Am interfered on the request of the Embassy. But that does not happen to everybody, I know that the British Embassy lives all to the expats (one may see that on the site of the UK Embassy).

My sources let me understand that the strict regime will be back, already the Police works very well.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:37 pm

If you don't want your lawyer to have the power to sell your property out from under you, then don't give it to him. You can specify in the tawkeel what things he can do on your behalf and what you DON'T want him to have the power to do. Nothing is automatic. The first thing anyone should do when moving to a country is learn the language (if not before you even come), so that you can read for yourself. Otherwise, you have the capacity of a 4 year old. And does a 4 year old normally have the right to enter into contracts?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:36 am

Since living here I've given power of attorney on four occasions. They do worry you at the time, the only other option if out of the country is continually coming back and forth only to find the judge couldn't be arsed turning up, or the court is closed for whatever reason. I did choose to state what exactly they were representing me for and happy to say all went smoothly. I am, at the moment, waiting for the final stage of a new contract for my house and land. I gave the power of attorney to my new lawyer [number 4] that is the family lawyer of my Egyptian friend. 1000Le for the full job. In the past I have paid up to 11,000Le for the same work. After the new contract is over and done with, he will instruct a representative from the court to come to his office and witness the power of attorney document destroyed in my presence. I have had this done with every one in the past.

I have no ''bad vibes'' from this one, and I have a friend covering my interests. But the last three have suffered from pangs of greed, wanting to gain as much money out of me as was humanly possible. First lawyer I got well and truly stung, all accountable expenses, but very high. She was off the British Embassy English speaking lawyers list. The second was a local that had been recommended by a friend, but turned out to be more bent than an Egyptian carrot. The third was the longest serving lawyer, four years and one that I thought that I could trust until greed reared its ugly head again.

I have friends that are having trouble from one of the most corrupt lawyers in the whole of Egypt that I know very well and have had dealings with him over the last four years. This lawyer is unrelated to me, that is to say he is not working for me and never has done, but is attempting to cause me and another friend [unrelated] problems. He stands little or no chance of achieving mischief with me, but the problems he is giving my friend in relation to a property has advanced into veiled threats from third parties. Sell at this price or your life could become ''uncomfortable.'' This is being sorted by other lawyers.

The problem this nasty example of a lawyer is or could be doing to make my life uncomfortable, is that he is a very close friend and adviser to the new owner of the agency that I am using. The veiled threats to my friend have come from people they have sent to my friends property, and I do not seem to be getting the requests about my property inquiries forwarded to me. The nasty lawyer knows full well what I think of him, as I do his opinion of me as I called him a thief for charging someone I know 20,000Le for putting a signature on a contract of transferred property title. The sale of my property is effectively cancelled now as I have made new, more productive plans for my future that dose not warrant the need of selling. So stuff him and the corruptness that he represents.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:01 am

Why don't we on L4U start our own listed of trusted and untrustworthy local lawyers ? useful…..:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 am

Who2 wrote:Why don't we on L4U start our own listed of trusted and untrustworthy local lawyers ? useful…..:cool:
....because the one's that are trusted, won't be trusted for much longer, and those that are untrustworthy, will become even more untrustworthy,.............God damn it Dr, you could end up without even one honest lawyer in Dodge City.

Maat
United Kingdom

Post by Maat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 am

More on Luxor lawyers.

One the French expats paid 35 000 LE to register the deal of buy for her apartment and finish the registration in the Notary. The lawyer was recommended by the Police and is famous, but toooooooo greedy :(

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Who2 wrote:Why don't we on L4U start our own listed of trusted and untrustworthy local lawyers ? useful…..:cool:
Ask Keefy what happens when you post a remark about a ''nasty Luxor lawyer'' and don't even use his name. :stp [yes, it was I] But to give Keefy credit were its due, he stuck to his guns. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Got another and more readable version of the stolen White House (just fresh link from the mail of my old friend):
http://irin2u.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/ ... ank-mafia/

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm

[quote="Maat"]

One the French expats paid 35 000 LE to register the deal of buy for her apartment. quote]

For Christ's sake, it was not so long ago that you could get a HONEST five year rental contract for an average central Luxor flat,................these days things are really getting very silly.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm

We live in 'silly times amongst 'silly people tis the time to be 'silly…'hey things could be worse, we could be jewish living amongst lots of 'silly people….neo despurandem….:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:If you don't want your lawyer to have the power to sell your property out from under you, then don't give it to him. You can specify in the tawkeel what things he can do on your behalf and what you DON'T want him to have the power to do. Nothing is automatic. The first thing anyone should do when moving to a country is learn the language (if not before you even come), so that you can read for yourself. Otherwise, you have the capacity of a 4 year old. And does a 4 year old normally have the right to enter into contracts?
Listen! a lot of British people buy up property in South of Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, Turkey ..they don't need to learn the language to have a property deal registered.!!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:39 am

Errr!!!! No thanks Lotus flower.......

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 am

90% of property in Egypt is NOT registered though and a lot of that can't ever be registered. Which makes the whole situation that much harder.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Since one of the first things here that happened during the first revolution, Mubarak, was the burning down of the land registry building I should imagine that lots of documents were destroyed which makes the situation even worse.
I don't know why people who insist on buying here are in such a hurry, if they can't read the Arabic there are numerous proficient and trustworthy translation services in the UK why dont they take the papers home with them and then they know exactly what they are signing.
If your buying property in the UK then you wouldn't sign anything until you fully understood what it was you were signing yet come here and affix your signature to something you cant read dont understand, have no idea of the procedeures, I'm sorry but some people leave their brains at the airport.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:13 pm

We had an original document burned here in Cairo that happened to be sitting in the court waiting to be picked up after a signature verification case, but the government put in place procedures to get copies of such documents certified via the court. It took another court case and an appeal, however after 2.5 years finally we got a certified copy of the original, which we made sure the lawyer picked up on June 29 before it might get burned again!

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 pm

carrie wrote:Since one of the first things here that happened during the first revolution, Mubarak, was the burning down of the land registry building I should imagine that lots of documents were destroyed which makes the situation even worse.
I don't know why people who insist on buying here are in such a hurry, if they can't read the Arabic there are numerous proficient and trustworthy translation services in the UK why dont they take the papers home with them and then they know exactly what they are signing.
If your buying property in the UK then you wouldn't sign anything until you fully understood what it was you were signing yet come here and affix your signature to something you cant read dont understand, have no idea of the procedeures, I'm sorry but some people leave their brains at the airport.

The contract is translated into English. Also you have a licensed translator read to you the papers.
It is what it is.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes I know the contract is translated into English and you have a licenced translator fair enough if that is good enough for you but I have heard so many horror stories and they always say BUT we had the documents translated into English AND we had a licenced translator. The licenced translator is quite often a tour guide, any tour guide with an ID that says he/she is an English tour guide is acceptable in the court offices. The level of English offered by the majority of tour guides judging by the tours I have been on, I would no sooner trust them to translate a legal document for me than jump over the moon.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 pm

All Contracts for Sale of property in Egypt and short term Leases (9 years or more) are registered in the Courts in Egypt.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I am deeply disturbed by the contents of this scam with this white house. This is happening quite a bit on the West Bank (and East Bank, Luxor I presume although I am not aware of any case) and somehow or other it will have to be stopped. I know of several cases similar to what happened to this Russian lady in this particular location on the West Bank. I am aware of cases where the "bast....ds." cut the water and electricity and ousted out the ladies. This whole sage of house stealing on the West Bank will have to stop and most of these lawyers should be in jail along with these criminal boyfriends.

Now for somebody to shout that the victims should not have parted with their money..just stop right there.. these deals concern big money and property and future business or a retirement home for most of the victims and what bloody right do these people in Luxor think that they can just indulge themselves in richness in grabbing money, land, and houses from foreigners.

If I ever built a house on the west bank and this happened to me and I then realised that someone had stolen my property with some arse..hl papers believe me I would be most certain that that house would never be left standing..........