Clefty

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Clefty

Post by Dusak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

I have Demented Mental Thoughts irrespective of the time of day BM as most of my posts tend to confirm.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 am

Sorry Choc, but the crimes did NOT take place in Ramla! ones of the victims live in Gezira Gedida, and the other burglary, where archaeologists lost their laptops with their latest work on is almost in Tod.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am

L in L are the Police Checkpoints still manned during the night? I know the checkpoint on the Ramla Cornish is vacated at the earliest possible time and there is no evidence of the Police on the streets.

I thank you for pointing out the border of Ramla and Gezera, to me though they run into each other, maybe I should have put Ramla/Gezera, In any case both areas are areas I go to for a purpose and then try to get out quick as possible, I get sick of people wanting to talk to me, it maybe they are genuine but to me my thoughts are, "What do they want" I lived there for 3 months and that was the impression I was given and the impression the area left me with.

In reality though I think this sort of crime will get worse before better, what is left of this abysmal Tourist Season is fast drawing to a close, and again money problems will start to get worse as people try to support their families on pittance incomes from tourism. Let hope H gets her things back and the burglars get what they deserve.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 am

Next time people visit the UK for a holiday or to get medical treatment or keep their Social Benefits going, they should get a wireless alarm system from B and Q they are £140 and easy to install, you do not even need a CSE to install them. Door and window catch system, and movement detectors, the alarm siren is very loud and effective, you can also get for and extra £15 a panic button that will set your alarm off. There is no wiring and all you need is an electrical socket where you install the activate pad.

Sorry about the first paragraph it sounds a bit acidic doesn't it Luxor Lovers everywhere. Get the Claws out!! I am waiting ;) ;)

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Next time people visit the UK for a holiday or to get medical treatment or keep their Social Benefits going, they should get a wireless alarm system from B and Q they are £140 and easy to install, you do not even need a CSE to install them. Door and window catch system, and movement detectors, the alarm siren is very loud and effective, you can also get for and extra £15 a panic button that will set your alarm off. There is no wiring and all you need is an electrical socket where you install the activate pad.

Sorry about the first paragraph it sounds a bit acidic doesn't it Luxor Lovers everywhere. Get the Claws out!! I am waiting ;) ;)
Fine until there is yet another power cut or can they be battery powered?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Dusak has said that home invasion (surely a very serious thing and with a very specific meaning) is on the increase. Does Dusak mean ordinary burglary (with or without people in the house) or do you really mean full on home invasion?

Burglary with people in the house happens anywhere in the west were there are drug problems or where you are surrounded by people who are much less well off than you. There is nothing strange in this. At least in Egypt you don't have major drug problems nor educated kids breaking into your house/shop (in the Egyptian version of Notting Hill) and carrying off your TV for the fun of it and burning down the suburb as they leave.

When compared with other places, ransaking and pillage do not seem to be major Egyptian problems at the moment, and when surrounded by very poor people the only surprise is that things are not a lot worse for the well off.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 am

Household burglary is on the increase and has been since the revolution with or without people present at the time of entry. These clefty's are the opportunist type, as most are. They are desperate for the money and from what I've been told by Egyptian friends its took a turn for the worst as this money is then used, in most cases, for the purchase of drugs. Karnak went through a very bad period of such crimes some twelve months ago but they seem to have quieted down a little of late but automobile theft is on the increase which has created a few protected night parking areas for the enterprising Egyptians with a bit of spare land. As for drugs, they have been steadily on the increase especially in prescription types. This is one of the terrible parts of the chain reaction towards crime and civil unrest that the revolution has created as before you very rarely came across such crimes and drugs were a bit of weed passed between friends.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Where does the main pipeline of drugs seem to be coming from and what is the drug of choice there?

Here the drug of the day seems to be methamphetamines which can apparently be made almost anywhere. In the good old days alcohol & the marijuana munchies were the choice. This was replace by heroin (which has faded in and out of fashion) then cocaine and this says nothing for on going prescription drug abuse.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Lots of noise around this part of Gezira tonight. Apparantly clefties were spotted creeping around a house near here. Now the full anti-clefty patrol is out!! Not much sleep to be had tonight! The dogs are all out in search of them as well...bless them.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:29 am

Dusack the article is at table 7 Jana Restaurant I suspect you have 3 hours before it dissolves into an unrecognizable mass 8)

The map will be to find the links on the forum (because I can't) :o
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 am

LLL According to my roving reporter that hates all things drug related he states that all types of drugs are readily available. Its a very lucrative street business for the youth. He told me last week that a woman was even selling which really is a worsening downturn for Luxor. He didn't know the origins of the drugs. Its good to see that at least the locals are forming a sort of home watch, well worth the extra noise I would think. Unfortunately dsaxelby the Jana was invaded by a massive army of marcher ants and they managed to carry off all food stuffs. Its just my bad luck that they utilized table seven to transport these ill gotten gains.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:36 am

BB the intruder alarms are battery back that last for up to 6 hours, also the siren has a red and blue light that flashes on and off when the alarm is triggered.

We also have a back up, a great dog, that everyone in the village is petrified of, but he really does protect his owners, he has extra fangs and the streak down his back reminds the people of his Jackal parentage.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 am

Canine clefty patrol........morning after the night before!

Helsx

Post by Helsx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Sony HX200V Camera, with case, no charger or lead to upload the images to the Pc/laptop. Serial No. SO147800139......lots of cameras are being 'Offered' for sale now in Luxor....Please keep an eye out for mine.

Shokran x
Love Your Life and Live your dreams

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 am

Unfortunately Helsx, even expats will ''snap up'' a bargain, irrespective of its questionable origins. A cannon camera has been recently bought by someone (a European) in Karnak for 1000Le, a sixth of its cost apparently. Sold by a taxi driver. I only know this as my English speaking friend was asked to inquire amongst the Europeans she knows if any one wanted to buy it for 100Le commission but she refused. If it had been a Sony I would of asked to see it.

Helsx

Post by Helsx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 am

True Dusak, I have recently witnessed someone trying to move a camera on. I made the comment that it did belong to someone and I felt it was wrong to show an interest.
Love Your Life and Live your dreams

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Seeing as everybody and their grannies know who the local gizera sneak thief is, who's name starts with M and ends with R and rhymes succinctly with poor and, One day 'when he isn't looking, he's going to have a very nasty accident with a big black jeep, he's already had a few near missis, he knows and I know it. shwia shwia everything come to those that bide their time. .....get a gun...a dog...get a jeep!.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 pm

PS: sorry just loved this, to quote: { Ramla from muggings to burglaries, seems to be getting worse and seeing as it is the Tourist Hotspot }
"It's then I became interested in the posts of another skilled 'boigler hiding under your beds Now! 'think scorpion before jumping into bed with one's pet doberman.
'Ramla tourist hotspot ? 'that's not what is was know as, for example: the Etap [the Mercure] = the meat factory,
quote:Michael Caine : Worse ? how could it get any worse ? ...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:34 pm

I had lived in Ramla some years ago. I lasted two weeks. I was enjoying spending time on the West Bank but as the Moled of El Abu Hajjaj was coming up I wanted to be there where buzz was so I returned to the Hotel. One of the problems I had with the flat was how he would turn the electricity off once I was in bed. As a tourist in summer I needed the air-conditioning. He claimed the electricity cut out but I doubted that. By cutting out the air-conditioning I was made ill. This I consider to be a minor scam. I paid good money to stay in the flat but he wanted to save on the electricity to the detriment of my health. I am glad to say other than a missing MP3 that is the worst as happened to me in Ramla. It is a shame it is getting this reputation as it is a pleasant place to stay. A river side flat and quaint cafes a short walk away.

However, having packed the night before when I returned to the Hotel I had found items of clothing had gone missing. Those were the days before I took any great valuables such as cameras and laptops with me on holiday. Now I feel doubtful of having a flat if these robberies are beginning to trend through Luxor.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Adamantium wrote: Now I feel doubtful of having a flat if these robberies are beginning to trend through Luxor.
You do realise that this thread is two years old, right?

I do hear of robberies, which is really sad and I do not know if there is an increase these days, but it is hardly the beginning.

Last time someone broke into my flat was seven years ago.