Mr Ahmed and Co! The Blue Star/Sky Reps

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Quinonostante
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Mr Ahmed and Co! The Blue Star/Sky Reps

Post by Quinonostante » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Booked our airport transfers for £6 return each on Travel Republic.

Was met at airport to encounter their first, but not particularly unusual scam 'the fifteen quid visa' one, which we avoided, and helped other travelers get a refund on..

The one which has actually prompted this post though and which incensed me was the 'on the bus baloney'. The rep began to ask who had visited before....and then honed in on the first timers. Whilst he didn't try to sell anything to them from the bus, he did say to us all that we must not leave the hotel and get a calesh because a tourist from "one of the three star hotels had been taken away and is now dead"!!!

It was difficult at that point to argue with him, it could have happened in the two before our arrival....but once at the hotel I asked some of you guys on here, and the Luxor people, and of course it was a 'scare the sh*t out of the tourists, and they'll buy our tours scam'.

This practice is more than just damaging to someone's holiday, with social networks these negative images spread like wildfires and will continue to damage tourism...

I want to take this matter further...and wonder can you offer me any contacts within Egypt which may be useful? :x

!

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Quinonostante,

I don't have any specific contacts for you but would suggest an open letter to the various consulates - not least Mr. Gaddis the Hon. British Consulate.

Perhaps also a letter to the the MD's/HO's of the major, and not so major, tour companies in Luxor - Thomas Cook, Thompsons, Cosmos etc - as well as the companies that advertise/sell the bookings - Travel Republic, On the Beach, Hotels4u etc.

There is of course the Egypt Tourism site which may provide some useful contacts/links. http://en.egypt.travel/practical_info/visa_travel_info#
From that site:
Tourism Office Address
Egyptian State Tourism Office
Egyptian House
170 Piccadilly
London W1J 9EJ
England

T: (0) 207 493 5283
F: (0) 207 408 0295
E: info.ie@egypt.travel

Hope the above may be of help and help generate further suggestions and contacts for you.

Quinonostante
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Quinonostante » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Thank you!! :)

!

Quinonostante
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Quinonostante » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 pm

!

Angela

Re: Mr Ahmed and Co! The Blue Star/Sky Reps

Post by Angela » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Quinonostante wrote:Booked our airport transfers for £6 return each on Travel Republic.

Was met at airport to encounter their first, but not particularly unusual scam 'the fifteen quid visa' one, which we avoided, and helped other travelers get a refund on..

The one which has actually prompted this post though and which incensed me was the 'on the bus baloney'. The rep began to ask who had visited before....and then honed in on the first timers. Whilst he didn't try to sell anything to them from the bus, he did say to us all that we must not leave the hotel and get a calesh because a tourist from "one of the three star hotels had been taken away and is now dead"!!!

It was difficult at that point to argue with him, it could have happened in the two before our arrival....but once at the hotel I asked some of you guys on here, and the Luxor people, and of course it was a 'scare the sh*t out of the tourists, and they'll buy our tours scam'.

This practice is more than just damaging to someone's holiday, with social networks these negative images spread like wildfires and will continue to damage tourism...

I want to take this matter further...and wonder can you offer me any contacts within Egypt which may be useful? :x
That is shocking, but sadly not suprising. Glad that you are taking matters further. :)

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Their office is behind the morris hotel next to the papyrus place. I am literally sitting 2 minutes walk away from them right now in the tour company that I work for. I am so tempted to go round there and give them a piece of my mind. I will see if I can get any other contact info for you. I am sure a tour guide friend of mine if friends with the owner.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for your help Barb :)

Im sorry Barb in advance for going off the subject and asking a direct question to you on the forum, but I thought you worked at Little Garden Hotel, you now say you also work for a Tour company, can I ask you how you mangaed to get a work permit to work at 2 places, im sure your information might help others who wish to work here.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Keefy Im just helping out a friend in the tour company for a couple of weeks. He is redesigning his website so I am putting it in to PROPER English. He did me a really big favour in the past so Im just returning it.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Oh OK no problem :) I just know how hard some ex-pats have found it when trying to get a work permit here in Egypt, I just thought you could give an insight into how its done.

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Quinonostante,

Some other places that you could possibly post on are the travel advice sites such as Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Trip Advisor etc.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Our new Governor is very anxious to increase the number of tourists coming to Luxor, he is 'SUPPOSED" to be organising a meeting soon for ex pats to ask them how they think tourism can be increased perhaps it's worth letting him know what is happening. Dont think he would be too pleased.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Have you got an email or any other contact details carrie ?

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 am

Hopefully the meeting would be open to 'repeat' tourists as well as ex-pats as we may be more in-tune with what a tourist wants / needs.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Will let everyone know when I hear more.

Kunis

Blue Sky

Post by Kunis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

During My last trip I booked my hotel through Hotels4u and was offered return transfers for £4,40 which I thought was a good buy.

I was duly met by their rep before pasport control and He did say £15 for a visa, I said absolutely nothing to him but my look of contempt made him dissappear and I got my visa from the bank as usual even got some small change from my tenner.

As I was their only customer when I got outside I was met by another rep who insisted on helping with my luggage and he took me to a private car where the driver was waiting they then took me direct to the hotel, all in all very good and courteous service which I felt should be rewarded. So it seems it is just the first contact person who is the problem.

kunis

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 am

Is this company anything to do with Sky Cruise opposite Maximes Restaurant????