Kheir Zaman

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Kheir Zaman

Post by Countessa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 am

Really disappointed that I have to post in here, but having experienced a few situations I thought it best to advise everyone to be on their guard...

1. Buying fresh meat - this applies mostly to home delivery, as when you're at the counter you can dictate what meat you want. We phone KZ regularly to get shopping delivered - buy 5kg of meat which comes wrapped in trays - top tray is wonderful with no fat - open the rest and they're fatty :x

On another occasion, again top tray was wonderful - opened the others and, not kidding, the pieces of meat were like shawerma size. 5kg of 'scraps' :x This time I called them up and said that if I wanted minced meat I'd have ordered it! They said to send the meat back, so sent my cleaner back with the receipt - when she got there they said that we'd cut it up, they didn't deliver it like that <speechless>! Another call to the manager and a refund was given.

Compare this to when DH goes to buy fresh meat from KZ - perfection - so be warned if you order any by home delivery!

2. Buying cartons / boxes of stuff. Picked up a box of cappuccino sachets yesterday - I know that here you can buy them individually, but these boxes were priced *per carton*. Picked up a box and got home to find half missing - the box was closed and didn't look as if it had been opened - so that's being sent back today.

3. Frozen stuff - bought a bag of kofta - half of it was ok, but at the bottom of the bag was a big mound of frozen mush, where the kofta had obviously been left in the heat it defrosted, mushed together, and then been put in the freezer.

So, I still say KZ is great for cleaning stuff, biscuits, toiletries etc, but just have your wits about you - it's not Sainsburys ;)

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

Oh dear, that didn't take long did it?

What is it with you & defrosted kofta, wasn't that what poisoned you before?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

http://www.metro-markets.com/feedback.php

When we complained last year about KZ and Metro via this form, the director of public relations for the whole company called us within 5 minutes. We spent a lot of time telling her all the details of the problems and she promised to do more training of the employees. Within 30 minutes of getting off the phone, the manager of Metro was on our doorstep with a gift of two bottles of fresh juice and a box of Belgian chocolate. No improvements were made though, but it was about 40LE worth of gifts at least!

Keep an eye out for refrigeration. The trick they do at our local KZ is to put some meat in the chilled case, but dish it out from a plastic tray behind the counter that is not refrigerated.

Kevininabydos

Re: Kheir Zaman

Post by Kevininabydos » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Countessa wrote: it's not Sainsburys ;)
No, Sainsburys is down "Little Britan" Street on the left hand side! :lol:
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 am

Went in yesterday and wanted some of the red cheese. In front of the chiller cabinet was a room temperature (25C roughly) basket of sweaty cheese. After waiting a while the guy who was busy slicing cheese came out with some trays of cheese he had just sliced & added it to the basket. I asked for a quarter kilo of the red & he pointed to the sweaty trays. I said no they were not good, prodded one & the sweat oozed :mrgreen:

He went round the chiller & picked up a tray from the shelf running along the wall (room temperature) he could (or would not) understand that I wanted chilled not room temperature cheese :x He got it back & I left :x (Can anyone tell me the arabic for warm please not cold didn't seem to work & I couldn't honestly say it was hot) :roll:

Next stop Forty supermarket, where I got freshly sliced smoked cheese from the chiller along with cheese with chilli peppers :D

Also got beautiful veal slices, I preferred the look of the ones on the tray rather than ones they had already pre packed :oops: & it was no problem at all. The manager served me with those whilst the deli man was doing the cheese. The difference between the 2 stores is amazing, courtesy and helpfulness don't cost anything but make such a difference :)

Have emailed a complaint so will see what reaction I get (if any)
Last edited by FABlux on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 am

I've noticed KZ have a few 'tricks' like that - recently sent my cleaner to get some fresh minced meat - the smell it gave off when I started to cook it was absolutely rancid - ended up chucking it in the bin.

Btw, the word for warm is 'dafee'.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:19 am

Thank you, dafee is easy to remember :D

The best mince I have ever bought in Luxor has come from 40 supermarket, it is every bit as good as anything I ever got in the UK. It has texture & taste, which it retains when cooked. I have bought it several times & recommended it to others who have been equally pleased with it.

I looked at the wet, slightly grey slime they had in KZ yesterday & Monstone & I both said we couldn't look at anything else on the meat counter after that :!:

Angela

Post by Angela » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

Countessa wrote:I've noticed KZ have a few 'tricks' like that - recently sent my cleaner to get some fresh minced meat - the smell it gave off when I started to cook it was absolutely rancid - ended up chucking it in the bin.

Btw, the word for warm is 'dafee'.
Countessa - It is interesting that you say this.

I bought some mince meat from there on Sunday and cooked it the same day. It didn't give off a smell but goodness me, the next day, I was so ill. DH was ok, but he has a cast iron stomach. DS wasn't sick but not himself all day and was complaining of Boiler ache (he loves Thomas the Tank engine and actually thinks he is a train...).

To be honest I would definately think twice about buying meat from there. I have visited Omars and Forty, Omars is much better than it was and I would shop there more if they priced up all their stock. Forty is my favourite, nice and clean, plenty of room to move and not too busy. :)

Angela

Post by Angela » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 am

FABlux wrote:Thank you, dafee is easy to remember :D

The best mince I have ever bought in Luxor has come from 40 supermarket, it is every bit as good as anything I ever got in the UK. It has texture & taste, which it retains when cooked. I have bought it several times & recommended it to others who have been equally pleased with it.

I looked at the wet, slightly grey slime they had in KZ yesterday & Monstone & I both said we couldn't look at anything else on the meat counter after that :!:
Will definately buy my mince from Forty next time :mrgreen:

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 am

FABlux wrote:
Yikes there is nothing worse than mince that's on it's way out!!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 am

I've just finished off the last of a beautiful mince pie which was made with KZ mince. We get some most weeks and it has always been excellent!

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 pm

TeddyBoy, I'm glad you haven't had some of their awful mince! I've bought it several times and never had cause to complain, but that one time has put me off buying minced meat from them again - just thinking about it brings back the yucky smell.

Angela - sounds like you had some from the same batch :(

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 pm

I was surprised to discover this week that Kheir Zamen is absolutely no cheaper than Metro! I thought it was supposed to be cheaper so went a bit further afield than I normally go for my shopping just so I could save a few quid .... and everything I bought was exactly the same price!!!

Meat and cheeses are the few things I won't order over the phone, even in Metro. I still go down because some days they have off days where the meat just doesn't hit the mark. Same applies to the chicken. I personally hand pick it all so I know what I'm getting, and if you're buying something like ribs, ask them to flip it and look at the undersides too, as they do have a nasty habit of hiding the slightly older stuff by turning it upside down so the better side shows.

Same applies in Carrefour up here - quite often I walk away from the mince in there and wait for a better week and then stock up all at once and freeze it.

Moonstone
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Moonstone » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Yup. "Monstone" :?: :?: loves the Forty mince. :P
Nil desperandum

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Better still.....eat veggie! ;) :D

There is always quorn mince if you do feel the need for a meat substitute
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 pm

jewel wrote:Better still.....eat veggie! ;) :D

There is always quorn mince if you do feel the need for a meat substitute
Ewwww Ive tried Quorn and really do not get, why anyone would want to eat a meat texture, that doesn't taste of meat....well doesn't taste of anyting really! (especially a veggie!)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Totally agree Lisak - why bother? I cant see it myself as I would not even think of eating a meat "substitute" , but it appears that some people do, i see it like using those nicotine patches to give up cigarettes instead of just giving them up. :? :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Wills

Post by Wills » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:20 pm

I have also eaten 40 mince and had no problems with it. :P:P

warda

Post by warda » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:06 am

I did buy 2 kg mince from imported meat section in KZ. At home I started to pack it to smaller bags for freezing. Mince was full of small pieces of plastic and some dead flies :x

If I had bought this meat for human consumption I would had taken it back but since it was our pets I just cleaned it really well and kept it. I'm not going to buy any mince from KZ anymore. This was the first and last time.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am

The best mince to buy is the Halwani Bros frozen mince (in a blue packet), its 100% pure halal beef with no colourings, flavorings or preservative and its only 10le from the normal size bag, they do a bigger bag which i think works out cheaper than a kilo of KZ fresh mince.

Ive tried most of the mince here and its not nice, but the Halwani Bros frozen mince is really good.