People asking you to count change

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Irishchick

People asking you to count change

Post by Irishchick »

Ive noticed this new scam the last time in luxor. Beware if a taxi or caleche driver on the street asks you to count their euros or pounds.

They will ask you to change it for LE but a friend was scammed by slight of hand and got alot less money than she had given.

Luckily her husband was there and forced him to give it back to her.

So just watch out for this and ignore anyone on the street that asks you to count coins in their hands.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

One of the many "Oldest tricks in the book" in Luxor this one..

Simple rule of thumb.

Only perform transactions in local currency... Do not get involved in any form of currency exchange,,, that is what banks are for.

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick »

Very sneaky. they are hoping people will think they are genuine because they have the money , there not asking for money. Just a change.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

There's many a "slight of hand" trick in luxor. Changing a 20 LE note, then cancelling the transaction and giving you back a 50 PT note which looked similar.

Hardly a major loss to a tourist, but a quick 19.50 LE profit for the perputrator :)

Always specify the currency in which you are bargaining with. A taxi or Calesh driver will argue at the end of the trip that he wanted English pounds NOT egyptian when you agreed a price.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

They wouldn't be asking you to count coins if tourists weren't so rude to give them foreign coins they can't take to a bank to exchange.

Every time someone has asked me to change coins for them, I do so, and I do so knowing the exchange rate and performing the calculation myself. No one can rip you off if this is the case.

Your friend may have had a bad experience but don't use this as an excuse to warn people off of ALL Egyptians asking for change. Most that do get burdened with change are ghaffirs and the like who aren't so street smart and don't even know what country the money they receive is from (I've met ones carrying around tokens that aren't even money that some unethical tourists have given them) or exchange rates and they rely on YOUR honesty to give them the right exchange rate.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

The thread clearly states LUXOR not "Cairo" or "everywhere I went in Egypt" but LUXOR so how does that equate as the whole of Egypt. It is a scam specific to LUXOR. I should think 99.9% of tourists are not aware that you are unable to exchange coins in the banks here. I have never seen this important fact in any tourist information pack, web site, brochure or even in the currency exchanges so tourists can not be held entirely to blame for it either. At Luxor airport the tourists are pounced on as they are try to get their luggage off the trolleys with a demand for "one pound", if you ask why they say trolley hire, if you try to give them an Egyptian pound they say no "English" or "one Euro" most of the tourists hand it over with out thinking. Another "scam" that feeds the coin scams in Luxor.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I changed a lot of euros for my caleche drivers - after a visit to the change place by the Winter Palace for the days rate - too many - - so HEAVY :roll: :roll: :)

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Your friend may have had a bad experience but don't use this as an excuse to warn people off of ALL Egyptians asking for change..
Please point out in my post where I said all Egyptians. I said some taxi and caleche drivers in LUXOR.

Please get your facts right and stop being so rude to everyone who posts here.

I dont give them Forgein coins I tip people in my hotel, taxi drivers ect in LE and I have changed coins for cleaners in hotels before.

Im just trying to warn people of a scam they may not know about. I wont bother anymore :|

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Kevin, you are so right about the fleecing of unsuspecting tourists at Luxor airport. :) If you are unaware you are conned into “one pound English” for a trolley, then another rip off to push your trolley to the coach which is only about 50 metres away, :lol: then another con by the guys loading your bags into the coaches storage bay. :) On the odd occasion when I have used the included Thomson’s coach and wheeled the suitcases the 50 metres to the coach myself, you still have the guy who wants to lift it up half a metre into the bay then has his hand out for a tip, just try giving him anything but a £1 Sterling, he must be making a fortune. Inconsiderate tourists? You must be joking, con men Egyptians more like. ;)

Morgita

Post by Morgita »

I don't think that banks or exchanges take coins anywhere. They certainly don't in Britain. How then can any locals change the coins given by tourists other than informal requests to other tourists? I appreciate that there may be scams but surely most are honest attempts to make a useful trade?

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick »

Morgita wrote:I don't think that banks or exchanges take coins anywhere. They certainly don't in Britain. How then can any locals change the coins given by tourists other than informal requests to other tourists? I appreciate that there may be scams but surely most are honest attempts to make a useful trade?
I have no doubt that some are honest. Im just saying be careful and if they try to confuse you at all then just walk away!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

I am sure that most are genuine in their request for someone to change the coins for local currency :) I have often done it myself prior to my return to the UK, but to say that they don't know how to exchange them is rubbish, "where there's a will there's a way" as the old saying goes ;)

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I think Horus may have highlighted how the "workers' exchange bureau" at the airport operates! The men outside ask for English pounds and euros, 'bank' them in the airport, and get them changed by the workers inside dealing with departing tourists.

Like him, I've often got English money when it's offered – I've seen washroom attendants collect little bags of coins from an 'office' to change for Egyptian money. Know the exchange rate and everybody's happy – the Egyptian maybe a little less so because he's usually asked for a better deal!

Corniche scammers require more vigilance – but unfortunately the warnings here will be to little avail: the vast majority of tourists aren't going to read this forum thread before coming on holiday, and they won't be parked in front of a computer while they're here.
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GDB_London

Post by GDB_London »

Horus wrote:Kevin, you are so right about the fleecing of unsuspecting tourists at Luxor airport. :) If you are unaware you are conned into “one pound English” for a trolley, then another rip off to push your trolley to the coach which is only about 50 metres away, :lol: then another con by the guys loading your bags into the coaches storage bay. :) On the odd occasion when I have used the included Thomson’s coach and wheeled the suitcases the 50 metres to the coach myself, you still have the guy who wants to lift it up half a metre into the bay then has his hand out for a tip, just try giving him anything but a £1 Sterling, he must be making a fortune. Inconsiderate tourists? You must be joking, con men Egyptians more like. ;)
I know the guy you mean Horus, he has just bought a new Mercedes and a private Villa on the West Bank.

GDB_London

Post by GDB_London »

I had a guy tonight who wanted me to exchange pound coins for Le - he informed me that they were worth 20Le each - my reply Fil Mish Mish, 8.5Le take it or leave it.

Guess what - he took it ;)

GDB_London

Re: People asking you to count change

Post by GDB_London »

Irishchick wrote:Ive noticed this new scam the last time in luxor. Beware if a taxi or caleche driver on the street asks you to count their euros or pounds.

They will ask you to change it for LE but a friend was scammed by slight of hand and got alot less money than she had given.

Luckily her husband was there and forced him to give it back to her.

So just watch out for this and ignore anyone on the street that asks you to count coins in their hands.
This is a good scam and it has been around for a while. I have not been caught with this one, I'm sure many have.

One guy did pull a switch on a 50Le for a 50pts note and he got a smack in the face from me, the tourist police officer across the road nearly wet himself laughing.

The guy followed me all over Aswan saying Sorry to me.

Tourist 1 - Egypt 0

Irishchick

Re: People asking you to count change

Post by Irishchick »

GDB_London wrote:
Irishchick wrote:
One guy did pull a switch on a 50Le for a 50pts note and he got a smack in the face from me, the tourist police officer across the road nearly wet himself laughing.

The guy followed me all over Aswan saying Sorry to me.

Tourist 1 - Egypt 0
Oh Snap!!! :lol:

GDB_London

Post by GDB_London »

Morgita wrote:I don't think that banks or exchanges take coins anywhere. They certainly don't in Britain. How then can any locals change the coins given by tourists other than informal requests to other tourists? I appreciate that there may be scams but surely most are honest attempts to make a useful trade?

What part of Wales are you in, I have never had a UK bank refuse coins from me.

I'm Welsh, there again I lived in a part with electrics and doors on the cave's

Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Hi GDB, despite living in a fairly civilised spot I've never had foreign coins accepted at a Bank. This is why charities ask for your shrapnel as they hope to raise the quantities needed to make exchange possible.Welsh caves are great, it's just the Welsh cavemen that irritate.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Morgita is correct :) most banks will not exchange foreign coins although the Euro may be an exception, some will not exchange foreign notes below a certain denomination.