Coriander Kitchen restaurant, Ramla (West Bank)

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Coriander Kitchen restaurant, Ramla (West Bank)

Post by Brian Yare »

This restaurant has only been open a few days. It is run by Hassan (a long time resident of Luxor - my driver Tayib knew his father some 30 years ago) and Catherine (please excuse if she spells it a different way). She is Swedish.

The restaurant is on the first floor adjacent to el Mesala near the west bank ferry terminal. Three years ago Nile Flowers was on this site, but they have moved on.

Anyway, I did not see a written menu, but Hassan explained what was available. Only about 6 dishes, but this changes.

The food appears to be fresh, not from a freezer. I had an Ox fillet sandwich. This was 4 slices of toast, stacked with well-fried Ox fillet strips, salad greens and a good dressing, accompanied by cucumber and tomato garnish. A plate of good grissini-style bread sticks with a slightly salty feta-style cheese was served as an amuse-bouche.

Beer was available, but the only wine was Obelisk Rose (not my favourite). I had a bottle anyway, and shared it with Tayib. Service was excellent, including asking if I wanted paprika on my filet.

The price - LE25 for the food and LE80 for the wine was unbeatable value, and the service and facilities were very good too. I will be back soon (and Obelisk red will then be available, insha'llah)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Cinnamon restaurant, Ramla

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I hope your driver didn't drive after you filled him up with alcohol. If he did, then you are a rather irresponsible and arrogant person who put the lives of everyone around you at risk.

chiddy

Post by chiddy »

Actually called "Coriander Kitchen" I think
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I hope your driver didn't drive after you filled him up with alcohol. If he did, then you are a rather irresponsible and arrogant person who put the lives of everyone around you at risk.
What a stupid and arrogant post. I will treat it with the contempt that it deserves.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, then I can only assume you were a reckless idiot, because otherwise you would just have replied, "Of course not."

We may come from cultures where the danger of drinking and driving are drilled into us from a young age, but Egyptians are not and it would be very easy for someone to drink too much and have no clue that it isn't safe for them to drive. If you care about yourself, your driver and the people of the community and their safety, then you will be very careful to make sure that the driver doesn't get behind the wheel after consuming half a bottle of wine. Full stop.

You might be walking back to your hotel, but it could be my family members that are killed by the drunk driver you supplied with alcohol.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Well, then I can only assume you were a reckless idiot, because otherwise you would just have replied, "Of course not."

Assume what you want, but I am not a reckless idiot, and the wine was for myself only. I find your assumption offensive.

For your information, my driver had only a coffee as he had eaten earlier.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Brian Yare wrote:This restaurant has only been open a few days. It is run by Hassan (a long time resident of Luxor - my driver Tayib knew his father some 30 years ago) and Catherine (please excuse if she spells it a different way). She is Swedish.

Beer was available, but the only wine was Obelisk Rose (not my favourite). I had a bottle anyway, and shared it with Tayib. Service was excellent, including asking if I wanted paprika on my filet.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

In fairness Brian, you did say you shared it with Tayib, which you know is wrong if he is going to drive anywhere afterwards. You didn't say if he was driving or not, but he is your taxi driver so the assumption is, he would drive home afterwards even if you did walk. Egyptians do not handle alcohol well and as our culture of drinking is very different to theirs, we all have to be aware of this.

I wont even take a sip of the stuff if I am driving so I know 100% that if accident Im in no doubt of my reaction time and human error or weather conditions are the cause. Omar has the same principles here if we go out. If we take the bike he drinks coke, if we get a taxi he will have a shandy.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

Can anybody change the name of this topic? It is definitely called "Coriander Kitchen" as Chiddy mentions. We too had a good meal there a few days ago and will visit again soon. Recommended :eat

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

I would never buy/give/share any alcohol with any Muslim, even if I knew that they did not follow the Islamic way and drank alcohol, I would feel that I was further encouraging them away from their religion, so partly responsible of making them do something that is haram in there eyes.

Also I would never trust a Muslim who drinks alcohol, shows he has no respect for his religion.

BTW: That's just the way I feel about it :)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

What a Muslim chooses to do is his own business, right or wrong, until he gets behind the wheel, in which case it becomes everyone's business.

I've found Brian's blog of his trips to Luxor over the past few years and the dozens of posts that he has made about drinking alcohol while traveling around and in Luxor is rather disturbing-he drank at least 4 times in his first 36 hours in Luxor on this trip alone-especially since he makes multiple mentions that his driver is with him at these meals and bar hopping events. It doesn't mean the driver was necessarily drinking alcohol and I don't want to jump to conclusions about that, but if his first post above is anything to judge by, this may not be a one-off occurrence. And Brian himself is clearly not in a sober enough state to judge the sobriety level of anyone else so you are heading into a situation of the blind leading the blind.

The real problem here is when you are in a position as an employee and your boss wants you to come have a meal or drink with him, maybe it is hard to say no, since he is the one paying you, and since you haven't had much work lately either you have to do what pleases him to keep his business. This sort of kowtowing to the tourist is a plague in the tourism industry because of the financial disparity between customers and providers. Brian is in a position of power with this man where he could do the opposite-tell him he doesn't want him drinking and driving-and he would have to comply. And that would be the wise thing to do.

As a comparison, the tour guide law completely forbids tour guides from drinking alcohol, not just on the job, but at any time, no matter whether they are Muslim or Christian. And when it comes to working time, that is just good working behavior. It's not professional to drink on the job.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Sorry Brian, but I have to agree with the above, I have known this man for more than 25 years, he was a drunk back in the early days, he is now and probably always will be.

Perhaps you might suggest to him that is old hang outs were Ali Baba's and Sa'id Gallag's old place, both on the WB. Used him once only, NEVER used him at all since, even when he was the only cab, late at night at the ferry,I would either walk or get a late night bus.

Yes, I drink though I have never driven a car anytime throughout my life, strange but true.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, having looked at his blog again, I found at least one post where he describes them driving to a local watering hole in another village, of him and the driver partaking of drinks, and then getting in the car again and driving back to his hotel. Talk about not just being a menace to everyone else, Brian is a menace to himself. Who goes on vacation and then buys drinks for the person who has to drive them back to their hotel? That's just plain stupid. Of course, these local watering holes should be more responsible too and not serve drinks to taxi drivers.

I wonder what Brian's contempt is for? His being caught out as an enabler? And he accuses the authorities of covering up things to make the tourists feel safer. Sounds like he now wants to do the same with the dangers he causes!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Coriander Garden restaurant, Ramla

Post by Brian Yare »

I apologise to Glyph Doctor and others for the errors in my first post. Perhaps Keefy can rename the thread to Coriander Kitchen. as this is the correct name. My receipt said Cinnamon, but that was the name of the sandwich.

My driver only had a sip of the rose wine because he has not tried it before. He did not like it, but enjoyed a coffee and shared the grissini. I suffer a great deal from the cursor jumping around in the middle of typing a message on this old laptop. When I remember, I disable the touch-pad. :(

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Coriander Kitchen restaurant, Ramla (West Bank)

Post by Brian Yare »

This image gives a mobile phone number so that you can place a reservation. Thank you, Keefy, for changing the thread title. 01099778331 :eat :wi :br :cuppa:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Coriander Kitchen restaurant, Ramla (West Bank)

Post by Brian Yare »

I visited Coriander Kitchen again this week. The food was good and freshly made. Still no red wine though, and no other customers. I suspect that this place is run more as a hobby than a business. :wi

El-Mesala, next door, was once again quiet. No sign of guests or diners there. :ni: