The yum yum Dinner

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The yum yum Dinner

Post by Dusak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 pm

We tried out the new menu at the former Chinese restaurant in Medina Street last night and what a fine meal it was. You have two choices on the menu, any two courses for 75Le, or any three for 95Le. Optional side orders are available for a small extra charge. Two of us had the braised steak and onions in a very nice and uniquely tasting gravy with mustard mash and mushy peas [other vegetables were available if wanted but we are the mushy peas lovers] The meat melted in your mouth, cooked to perfection. The other order was traditional fish, chips and mushy peas, again well received. I could list the menus other traditional dishes but won't as you really need to take a visit and try this new and fresh menu. I had the fruit crumble and custard to follow which was excellent, my friends had the pancakes with that wonderful German ice cream. Now these were pancakes to widen the eyes when brought to the table, and very tasty with it so I was told. And the chef, who is known to us, is a chef, not a pretend one and it shows via the quality of the food.

There is however a cautionary tale to this new eatery. On the table are complimentary nibbles. Those long thin bread sticks and what looked like stumpy nutty finger biscuits. These queer looking things however turned out to be the most delicious tasting cheese nibbles I have ever tasted, and very addictive as mien host was consuming his third container full. Also provided were two free dips, cucumber and yogurt and a tasty spicy tomato one. We all ended up ordering half a kilo each of the cheesy ones which are bought from Twinkys, ideal to nibble at home in front of the TV. All in all a very pleasant change from the usual humdrum selection of Luxor's evening dishes.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Maakari

Re: The yum yum Dinner

Post by Maakari » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 pm

sounds good! Will be sure to visit in a couple of weeks time!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Dusak wrote:Two of us had the braised steak and onions in a very nice and uniquely tasting gravy with mustard mash and mushy peas [other vegetables were available if wanted but we are the mushy peas lovers] The meat melted in your mouth, cooked to perfection. The other order was traditional fish, chips and mushy peas, again well received.
What can I say? Sounds very sad! Go to Margate or Blackpool instead!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:13 am

Brian Yare wrote:
Dusak wrote:Two of us had the braised steak and onions in a very nice and uniquely tasting gravy with mustard mash and mushy peas [other vegetables were available if wanted but we are the mushy peas lovers] The meat melted in your mouth, cooked to perfection. The other order was traditional fish, chips and mushy peas, again well received.
You could try nothing for a change. Whats your contribution to Luxor Brian apart from finding the cheapest drinking places, licensed or not.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:45 am

Dusak lives here-Why would he get on a plane to fly all the way to the UK to eat British food when he can find a good place to enjoy a meal out here? And I am sure if you go to any of those British resorts, you'll find Indian food and Chinese food, etc., etc.

Brian, you are just so close-minded. Cuisine is international these days. A good number of Egypt's most famous "Egyptian" dishes, especially the ones you find in "Egyptian" restaurants, originate OUTSIDE Egypt. There's no pure Egyptian cuisine these days.

To enjoy real original "Egyptian" food that has a history more than 10-100 years you have to make it at home.

And if you went back even a few hundred years, you would find that "Egyptian" food was almost nothing like it is today.

It's time to stop acting so smug that you are somehow better than everyone else because of your restaurant choices. So you like eating at Egyptian restaurants. That's great, for you, but you have no business imposing your taste on others.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
One of these days Mr. Yare you will wake up in happy land and with your luck discover every one else has moved. Living here, for me on a day to day basis is a privilege in its self. When I go out for a meal there is very little to choose from at the moment due to the lack of business. But this does not put myself and friends off, but its a welcome change when the likes of Bombay throws caution to the wind and invests not only in a new menu offering a different choice from what is the norm, but to employ a real chef that knows how to cook it to please the customer. Not only that it gives a grantee that the original staff keep their jobs. Well done him, :up sad t**t you. :td
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Bombay wrote:
You could try nothing for a change. Whats your contribution to Luxor Brian apart from finding the cheapest drinking places, licensed or not.

Quite possibly more than yours, but I don't need to brag about it. I might even lend you an apostrophe!

I note though that the restaurant/cafe has yet to be named in this thread. Can I ask a taxi driver to take me to the yum yum Dinner on Medina Street?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:10 pm

I live here like Dusak, I love going to Egyptian Restaurants and eat what passes as Egyptian food (although after reading Glyphs post it may not be authentic). I make currys and stir fry at home, sometimes I make a Sunday dinner, I have Egyptian cook books and follow the receipe's from those too. Surely the point is that we all like to eat different things, I don't want steak and chips everyday but once in a while I do, variety is the spice of life. Thank you Dusak for informing us that a new restaurant has opened, somewhere else to dine when I feel in the mood.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:10 pm

:wi
I became aware of "Dinner", the classic restaurant a couple of days ago when it was advertised here on the top right corner of this page. I wondered what a classic restaurant was and googled my way to a facebook page. Today I see that it has pictures and a menu on it.
:eat

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 pm

You all should know by now it's "Yares" persona to try and have a dig at people living here, just let it go over your head. :zz

From many past posts you can see he can't bear to be without pork products for the week or two he's here, a day does not go by without alcohol touching his lips, all these are available in Margate or Blackpool too :roll:

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Here's the menu...

(click to enlarge)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:56 pm

I'd rather Bombay brag about his restaurant than read your put-downs of restaurants for having exactly 47 stairs to reach their roof terrace, Brian. I am sure you will correct me on the number of stairs because all your posts are just the uncontrolled thoughts of someone who suffers from obsessive-compulsive tendencies, but if I owned a business in Luxor, I would make sure to deny you service before you ever had a chance to find a nit to pick about it.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:I'd rather Bombay brag about his restaurant than read your put-downs of restaurants for having exactly 47 stairs to reach their roof terrace, Brian. I am sure you will correct me on the number of stairs because all your posts are just the uncontrolled thoughts of someone who suffers from obsessive-compulsive tendencies, but if I owned a business in Luxor, I would make sure to deny you service before you ever had a chance to find a nit to pick about it.
GD

It may have escaped your attention that I am quick to give praise when it is due.

DJK

Thank you for confirming that the name of this restaurant is "Dinner". I would never have guessed from the original post.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 pm

No, I just normally skip over your posts. Because life's too short to waste time reading useless complaints about missing apostrophes.

Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I love the look of that menu. Would like to try so many of the options, plus a choice of vegetarian dishes too. I personally am not vegetarian, but my daughter is, and eating out for her is not a good experience. Often if we dine out, (in the UK), there is one veggie dish on offer to her. So refreshing to see more being offered. Thank you Bombay.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:09 pm

DJKeefy wrote:You all should know by now it's "Yares" persona to try and have a dig at people living here, just let it go over your head. :zz

From many past posts you can see he can't bear to be without pork products for the week or two he's here, a day does not go by without alcohol touching his lips, all these are available in Margate or Blackpool too :roll:
Well we will have a Pork menu soon with Bacon, Sausages,Gammon Steak, Ham and Roast Pork.

Being a fully licensed tourist restaurant we are able to offer Pork and of course Beers, Wines and spirits all on display not hidden in another building.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 am

Menu looks great Russell, especially as I live in a very traditional Turkish town with no "foreign" food on offer! I will definitely be paying a visit when I return to Luxor!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Bombay wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:You all should know by now it's "Yares" persona to try and have a dig at people living here, just let it go over your head. :zz

Well we will have a Pork menu soon with Bacon, Sausages,Gammon Steak, Ham and Roast Pork.

Being a fully licensed tourist restaurant we are able to offer Pork and of course Beers, Wines and spirits all on display not hidden in another building.
And I think that the above mentioned likes to partake in a bacon sarnie. But first of all, if wishing to sample the forthcoming delights next time here, he will have to order and consume a rather large helping of :eat humble pie. :D

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Dusak wrote:We tried out the new menu at the former Chinese restaurant in Medina Street last night.
If you had said at the start that this was another of Bombay's outlets it would have saved a lot of hassle. Now if he could add black pudding to his proposed pork menu ...

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:49 am

Brian Yare wrote:
Dusak wrote:We tried out the new menu at the former Chinese restaurant in Medina Street last night.
If you had said at the start that this was another of Bombay's outlets it would have saved a lot of hassle. Now if he could add black pudding to his proposed pork menu ...
The ABC logo is on the advert who did you think it was from Bernard Delfont? As for Black Pudding Brian I will check with the supplier however we only sell items legally imported into Egypt and the Pork products come from Germany so I doubt its going to be an option.