Sofra

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Sofra

Post by carrie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Had a great lunch there today but the main point is that when we were leaving my friend had left 200le instead of 100le and the waiter chased her to point out the mistake. I doubt she would have noticed her mistake till much later. Thank you Sofra for a lovely lunch and for your honesty.

dsaxelby

Re: Sofra

Post by dsaxelby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:12 pm

We had an excellent dinner there a few weeks ago.
It is what it is.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 pm

O.K., it is all very good recommending a place, but some description of where they are and what they do would be helpful.

http://www.sofra.com.eg/

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Half way along Manchia Street, going towards the station turn left and after about 50 yards there is Sofra. It has been mentioned on here before so if you looked at past posts I am sure you would find directions.

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm

I ate here twice when I was over last, both times were very good, food tasty and reasonably priced, in fact cheap for what it is.
I loved the decor, a definite must try!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:03 pm

carrie wrote:Half way along Manchia Street, going towards the station turn left and after about 50 yards there is Sofra. It has been mentioned on here before so if you looked at past posts I am sure you would find directions.
If you wish to recommend a place it is a good idea to do the leg-work yourself. I found and inserted the cafe's website into this thread. I should not have needed to do so.

Each thread stands on its own. It should not require extensive archaeological excavations from everyone who reads it to discover what it is about.

From my research, Sofra is well off the beaten track and un-licensed. Its menu is not unusual. I will not search it out. But at least I provided the URL so that others can make their own decision.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
carrie wrote:Half way along Manchia Street, going towards the station turn left and after about 50 yards there is Sofra. It has been mentioned on here before so if you looked at past posts I am sure you would find directions.
If you wish to recommend a place it is a good idea to do the leg-work yourself. I found and inserted the cafe's website into this thread. I should not have needed to do so.

Each thread stands on its own. It should not require extensive archaeological excavations from everyone who reads it to discover what it is about.

From my research, Sofra is well off the beaten track and un-licensed. Its menu is not unusual. I will not search it out. But at least I provided the URL so that others can make their own decision.
I think it's Turn right carrie, unless it's moved, we better not upset Brain Grumpy Yare Yare with wrong directions :lol:

Off the beaten track Yare!!! - up from Manchier, just before the station, now your having a laugh :roll:

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Bloody hell Brian!
Good job you weren't Howard Carter, he never would have found Tut's tomb without exact directions!

(and we could all say the same about directions and food for Nile Flowers, but then again, some of us ask nicely, and some come across as pompass arses!)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Brian Yare wrote:From my research, Sofra is well off the beaten track and un-licensed. Its menu is not unusual. I will not search it out. But at least I provided the URL so that others can make their own decision.
Sometimes you just want to share a good experience with your online friends. :roll2:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:07 am

Sorry Keefy it is right. Some of us Brian are not interested in only dining in establishments that serve alcohol and it is far from "off the beaten track"
You do know where Manchia Street is I presume.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 am

No one is under obligation to provide directions to anyone. It's a kindness, not an obligation. Maybe someone does not know the website, only the restaurant. Maybe someone just asks their taxi driver to take them there and doesn't know the way themselves. And maybe even after all that, they liked the food and want to recommend it.

It's rather funny that someone who claims he only eats Egyptian food when he comes to Egypt only wants restaurants with alcohol. That's going to exclude most restaurants in Egypt I am afraid.

If you use your fingers and google Sofra Luxor you will find its website along with a map. But probably it is for the restaurant staff's best that you don't plan to seek them out. With your obsessive-compulsiveness, you would likely get in a fight with them because they didn't have a ten piaster coin to give you back your exact change after the meal.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:39 am

Brian Yare wrote:

Brian I was under the impression a restaurant being licensed or unlicensed was of no concern so long as it sells alcohol. :br

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am

Glyphdoctor wrote: It's rather funny that someone who claims he only eats Egyptian food when he comes to Egypt only wants restaurants with alcohol.
- And with unusual menus. :urm:

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 am

I was the idiot who left a 200EL note instead of a 100EL - just didn't check properly, and had forgotten I had a 200EL note in my wallet. I actually left the correct amount and a tip, as I thought.

What a lovely, and heart-warming surprise when they waiter ran after me to tell me I'd made a mistake. There's a lot of criticism of Egyptians ripping tourists off - clearly this is definitely not the case in Sofra. It's one of my favourite restaurants in Luxor, and I will be returning there. :eat

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 am

Bombay wrote:I was under the impression a restaurant being licensed or unlicensed was of no concern so long as it sells alcohol. :br
:)))

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I think its a time of the month thing with him. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:48 pm

That's a very extensive menu. Made my mouth water just reading it! :up

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 pm

That's the only problem with the place everything is delicious, spoilt for choice.