THE LANTERN RESTAURANT

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: THE LANTERN RESTAURANT

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Get a grip everybody, I appreciate the fact you all think the sun shines out of the cracks in Luxor, like I have said before, Luxor has the 2 temples, the avenue of sphinx, and a few other items.

The West Bank has, VOK VOQ, Hatchepsutes, Tombs of the Nobles, Rammuseum, Habu Temple, Collossi of Menmon, Workers Village so surely has to be the true pharonic side,

Luxor has Sh---y Streets, confined places, broken pavements, terrible traffic problems, noise, empty 5* Hotels etc etc.

We have some great eating places too, that will compete with any Luxor Restaurant, its just we do not like advertising them because we feel they should be kept precious to those of us that use them.... :wi :wi :wi
Absolutely I am sure there are however they should be licensed correctly and pay the government the same fees and taxes we do if they are going to charge the same prices and serve alcohol!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Seriously Brian, maybe the restaurants on the East Bank have two more slices of tomato on their salad plates and a drizzle of olive oil on top of their tahina that justifies their higher prices. I don't know how you can even compare two restaurants on price alone without taking into consideration all the other factors. So nitpicky really.

And CE, if there is a restaurant you like so much, you would be doing yourself a favor if you recommended it to others rather than keep it secret. The owners need the business and maybe without any customers besides yourselves, they won't be able to keep it open for you to enjoy.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Seriously Brian, maybe the restaurants on the East Bank have two more slices of tomato on their salad plates and a drizzle of olive oil on top of their tahina that justifies their higher prices. I don't know how you can even compare two restaurants on price alone without taking into consideration all the other factors. So nitpicky really.

And CE, if there is a restaurant you like so much, you would be doing yourself a favor if you recommended it to others rather than keep it secret. The owners need the business and maybe without any customers besides yourselves, they won't be able to keep it open for you to enjoy.
What justifies the higher prices if they are higher is the fact that some of us build our restaurants to standards laid down by the Ministry Of Tourism, meet the Health and Safety requirements of the Fire Service and Ministry of Health also contribute to the country by paying higher taxes and fee's to these departments every year in DECEMBER.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:46 pm

And so what if a restaurant is licensed but not as a tourist restaurant? It doesn't mean it is a bad restaurant.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:And so what if a restaurant is licensed but not as a tourist restaurant? It doesn't mean it is a bad restaurant.
Absolutely, but if its main purpose is to serve tourists then it should be licensed that way and meet the government requirements to do so.
You cannot have an alcohol license without a tourist license minimum 3 star and you do not need to have one if you DO NOT sell it just need the tourist license.

These restaurants are not charging the local restaurant prices or paying the same taxes or fees to YOUR government that needs the cash as you keep reminding us.
In Fact many do not even have anything Arabic about them including signs and menu's.

There are 135 restaurants currently listed in Luxor on Tripadvisor and whilst I realise that anyone can add a listing to the site and not all are operating mainly for Tourism there are currently less than 20% of those listed that are correctly licensed. Look at all that cash that could be going to the Government, I know the Government is.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Personally I hate dining in an empty restaurant, except One Time, the 1812 0r 1845 restaurant in The O W P one of the funniest times of my life.
Me 3 waiters the Maitre'd and the spanish guitar playing geezer opposite me, I called him 'Mr Wonderful with his, so obvious black wig, whole black ensemble and wearing bright white socks….
The food was really real crap but 'the ambiance was to die for, I think I nearly 'wet myself that that….. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Seriously Brian, maybe the restaurants on the East Bank have two more slices of tomato on their salad plates and a drizzle of olive oil on top of their tahina that justifies their higher prices. I don't know how you can even compare two restaurants on price alone without taking into consideration all the other factors. So nitpicky really.

Portion size everywhere is too large for me these days, so a couple of slices of tomato and a drizzle are worth nothing. The other things to take into consideration include that The Lantern claims to be an English Restaurant. If I wanted Sunday Roast, English Tea and Fish and Chips, why would I go abroad?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Brian Yare wrote:

Portion size everywhere is too large for me these days, so a couple of slices of tomato and a drizzle are worth nothing. The other things to take into consideration include that The Lantern claims to be an English Restaurant. If I wanted Sunday Roast, English Tea and Fish and Chips, why would I go abroad?
Well when there are tourist in Luxor many may want English, Indian, Thai, Chinese etc along with the Egyptian fare also people may want a change after a week on a cruise boat. Not every tourist in Luxor including those who may visit these restaurants come from the UK so there is a variety for them and
everyone else to choose from.
I also find that Asian Tourists are pleased to find restaurants offering their cuisine so why should it be any different for a English person.

I also find that some people are more concerned about the cost of a drink rather than the rest a place has to offer including toilets that you don't need to hire a felucca to take a ****. :wi :eat :br

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Surely a diversity of places to eat is something to be desired, this evening I ate at the Steinberger in the Italian there, the food was great, earlier this week I ate at a small restaurant near the souk the kofta I had there was the best I have ever eaten. Only place I wouldn't go is McDonalds.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:44 pm

carrie wrote:Surely a diversity of places to eat is something to be desired, this evening I ate at the Steinberger in the Italian there, the food was great, earlier this week I ate at a small restaurant near the souk the kofta I had there was the best I have ever eaten. Only place I wouldn't go is McDonalds.
We always visit the 'Taste of India' 'JJ's','pizza Roma' and McDonalds (much better than the UK). We also had excellent fare at the Sofra. but now we visit local eateries which are also excellent. May venture back to the Lantern for New Years Eve. the only place we would not eat again is the Kentucky lol...
It is what it is.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:50 am

I understand what you are saying Bombay and in someways totally agree with you, the problem is, I am starting to gather there are different laws on the West Bank, because hardly anyone seems to adhere to any of the laws on this side. But I think the main fact is, we do not have a high turn over of tourists on this side, therefore the places do not have the turnover to afford the different licenses required. However on saying that the majority of the places seem to do OK for themselves, but then again the prices are different and it may be them that attract people.
Another thing is, the properties do not seem to be so big as to open large restaurants, but maybe that's not a bad thing because smaller places are more intimate and do not have the same high running costs.
Some times the smaller places have a high profit margin due to the fact they are not rambling places that need constant AC in the Summer and heating in the winter, plus they need less staff. It these small places that seem to attract tourists more than sprawling places, and its these places that seem to undergo regular maintenance and decoration.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:25 am

I can never understand people that bestow the virtues of the ''Xmas dinner.'' After all said and done, its just a Sunday roast that you can have any day of the year. Or dose it taste differently on this most hallowed day of the year. Its not as if the ingredients or trimmings are only available on this one day. For me, beans on toast with the right company would be just as enjoyable.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Brian Yare wrote: If I wanted Sunday Roast, English Tea and Fish and Chips, why would I go abroad?
Duh, because you aren't going to find the Valley of the Kings or the Pyramids down the road from your local fish and chips place in the UK.

Seriously, food is a personal matter. I don't see why anyone shouldn't be free to eat whatever they want wherever they want when they are on holiday or even when they are at home. You eat your own meal, not anyone else's, so why is it of concern to you that someone eats a roast in Luxor?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:53 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:Seriously, food is a personal matter. I don't see why anyone shouldn't be free to eat whatever they want wherever they want when they are on holiday or even when they are at home. You eat your own meal, not anyone else's, so why is it of concern to you that someone eats a roast in Luxor?
Why do you think that I am concerned about what someone else eats? I will enjoy good local food this evening and tomorrow. :D

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 pm

And if you lined up a Chinese, Thai, Indian and Egyptian restaurant next to one another, I'd be eating at the first three before I would eat at the latter. When I am in London, you won't find me eating any fish and chips or roasts, but you will find me eating Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, etc. Most Egyptian restaurants serve bland, tasteless food. If you want good Egyptian cooking, you have to go to a home to get it.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:And if you lined up a Chinese, Thai, Indian and Egyptian restaurant next to one another, I'd be eating at the first three before I would eat at the latter. When I am in London, you won't find me eating any fish and chips or roasts, but you will find me eating Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, etc. Most Egyptian restaurants serve bland, tasteless food. If you want good Egyptian cooking, you have to go to a home to get it.
I hope to change that next month.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Good Roast Belly Pork with all the crackling and the trimmings, including of course the traditional stuffing yummy!!!! completed with mince pies, and the traditional sausage rolls and pork pie :eat :eat

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Shrimp cocktail, crab salad, grilled bulti fish, served with Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Hamburger, beef stew, hawawshi and a pastrami sandwich.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:31 pm

We are having a "festive break" at a remote hotel in the lakes for four nights. It's awesome....the lake is almost at our door, ( following heavy rains) and a dusting of white on the fells adds a festive touch.
I just had a massage before our gala dinner tonight.......wonderful gourmet vegetarian food, with a glass (or two!! Well it's Christmas ;) ) of portaceli brut. Champagne breakfast in the morning ( and a romp over the fell before lunch!)
It makes a wonderful change to be pampered, and just chill out. A lantern lit walk to the
Lake tonight for hot mulled wine and toasted marshmallows :P
M - E - R - R - Y C - H - R - I - S - T - M - A - S!!! :py
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!