(new) Africa Restaurant

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

(new) Africa Restaurant

Post by Brian Yare »

I recommend this enterprise, although with some reservations.

On the negative side:
1) about 48 steps up to the roof, but with a good handrail and at least the steps were even.
2) only a fixed menu (main dish plus the usual accompaniments) is offered.
3) lighting is not adequate in the evening - I like to be able to see my food.
4) wall and barrier around the roof terrace is positively dangerous for any 2-5yo children. H&S would have a field day.

I understand that they are only renting the new building, but my comments were taken on board.

On the positive side the view and the food were excellent! Let us see when they have a few more tourists! Give them a chance.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: (new) Africa Restaurant

Post by BENNU »

:eat

There is an indoor restaurant on the first floor, but to eat on the roof terrace you have to climb the stairs aaallll the way to the second floor, of course. The entrance is rather elegant. Under the circumstances they are doing well, but with few guests I would say that it is understandable that the daily menu is fixed with a choice of meat. I find the lighting warm and cosy and the view incredible.

:lv

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The original Africa, by the bus station, always had a fixed menu, so it is not surprising that this one has, as it is run by the original Africa people!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

LivinginLuxor wrote:The original Africa, by the bus station, always had a fixed menu, so it is not surprising that this one has, as it is run by the original Africa people!
Thanks Stan, I was wondering if that was the case. Has the other Africa restaurant closed now?

In February Carrie and I took some friends of mine (first visit to Luxor and Egypt) there. We had a great dinner, all be it without alcohol, and while we were talking my friend sneaked off to pay the bill. When he looked at the total he thought they'd made a mistake and charged him for 1 person not 4!!! He was still talking about it a couple of days later! :mrgreen:

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Always had a good meal there every time we have been

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

LivinginLuxor wrote:The original Africa, by the bus station, always had a fixed menu, so it is not surprising that this one has, as it is run by the original Africa people!
No, No, No, I can not let this above statement go by without correction, which I would under normal circumstances. The original owner of this place recently died. I and my family knew this wonderful man throughout HIS life. Please understand, I can not let some one else get the credit for his very, very hard work.

I shall come back to this subject tomorrow.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

The one by the bus station is the Africa(n) Garden. I've had the fixed menu there, but not recently. Quality was quite good, and Stella was available.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Went to New Africa today, my friend and I were saying whilst we were there how lucky we were, great food, great view and 6pm nice and warm. He had just had a phone call from his Mum in England saying how cold it was and that it had rained for a week.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The proprietor of the world famous Africa Restaurant, West Bank, Luxor, was always my guide and oldest best friend. I first knew him when we were both quite young. He started his working life clearing spoil from digs on the WB for 1LE per day, because of his family connections, it was not long before he was able to open a ‘tin can’ café, almost on the very edge of the river, between the two roads that now come down to the river. The occasional tourist would stop and have a bottle of coke 30pts, sit in one of those old basket type chairs, as they enjoyed the view of Luxor Temple. Years went by, and he increased its size to accommodate a small kitchen and a covered eating arrear. His business now was frequented by guide, who would bring their tourist, usually one or two, but the news started to get out there.

Years go by again, by now another place opened next to Africa, it was the very first Tutankhamoun Restaurant, which these days is situated in the Ramla. Being that this new place was more substantially built than Africa, the authorities did not like this and placed a demolition order on both.. My friend was desperate to keep The Africa going, during a summer when I was not there. He and a Egyptian non family member, jointly opened the New Africa Restaurant, with what is/was a wonderful garden..

Years go by yet again, unfortunately there was a dis-agreement with the partnership, (for which I do not wish to go into), I and my dear friend sought a new building, he thought perhaps towards where Nile Valley Hotel is now, though I thought better where the two roads meet. This was then the property of Wolf and his wife. Some may remember Wolf, and shall we say HIS problem, though his wife was such a wonderful woman. The deal was done, and for the first time, my old friend got his own restaurant, and his alone. Of course his name, Africa Restaurant went with him, that is why the other is called African Garden.

Many of you will know this gentleman, is no longer with us. What I can tell you, is that he knew more about The Hills, than any other person living today either Egyptian or Awaja, and I am proud today to say that those secrets that I learn’t will die with me, though I in the past have given a clue to when I wrote on ‘the Secret of the Western Valley’, which I am pleased to say are under a further 10 foot of spoil than they were before.

Just one little post script, I do remember serving a shall we say, well known ex pat with her drink, food and bill for a meal, one evening, when to my recollection, she did not even notice l was an awaja, though she did have difficulty getting up the stair, to join her two friends that had previously been to a funeral of an ex pat in Luxor, earlier that day,. I was a little dark skinned at the time,, but then again, some of us never drink, when on duty.

Hope you don’t mind me correcting you here Stan, but it is in the hands of you and others to get these things right, for the future history, when l am long gone.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

You basically summed up what I was trying to say - that the Africa Garden is the result of a family dispute, while the 'real' Africa moved to Malqata Restaurant, when Antje decided to give it up, and then it moved again to the new building. Maybe I didn't make it too clear.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

x:o x:lol: :eat x:p :ls: x:lol: :eat x:p x:))

Africa is offering an English Christmas dinner with Mince pies this year.
x:lol:
I do not know the menu, but they have consulted expat expertise, so it will be traditional.
x:))
They will probably serve it at the first floor indoor restaurant while the beautiful roof terrasse will be open as well.

x:lol: x:lol: :eat x:p :angel: x:lol: :eat x:p x:))

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

BENNU wrote:x:o x:lol: :eat x:p :ls: x:lol: :eat x:p x:))

I do not know the menu, but they have consulted expat expertise, so it will be traditional.
They will probably serve it at the first floor indoor restaurant while the beautiful roof terrasse will be open as well.

Is this Xmas eve in the evening or Xmas day at lunchtime? I will find out next week if nobody answers earlier.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

It is the evening of 24/12. I was not sure that this is what you do in UK, but they assured me that it was all under control.

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

How does an 'English' Christmas dinner compare to the rest
of the UK???

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Sdo wrote:How does an 'English' Christmas dinner compare to the rest
of the UK???
Unlike many parts of the world, Christmas dinner in the u.k. is generally eaten at lunch-time on Christmas day. Depending on the size of the main roast, the start of the dinner might be slightly later, but I always aim at 1pm. :eat :wi

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Sdo wrote: How does an 'English' Christmas dinner compare to the rest
of the UK???
I don't know.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Sdo wrote:

How does an 'English' Christmas dinner compare to the rest
of the UK???
From the prices I've been quoted, twice as expensive. I'll make do with bacon sarnies and carry on painting outside. Now that is no comparison to the UK's Xmas day. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

There will be a four course dinner of soup, prawn cocktail, roast turkey with vegetables, mince pies and something called Yorkshire pudding, I do not know what that is. There is also a vegetarian option.

They will have some folkloric entertainment with stick dance on the beautiful roof overlooking The Nile, and most of the evening Christmas songs will be played on CD in the English language. Whether it will be British, English or American I cannot say, but the staff at Africa have been wise enough to take advice from UK expats for this festive occasion.

x:) x:lol: x:) x:p x:) x:lol: x:) x:lol: x:p :bl: :gg: x:p x:lol: x:p x:lol: x:)) x:lol: x:p x:)) :eat

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:... something called Yorkshire pudding, I do not know what that is...
Yorkshire Pudding is a simple batter pudding - but it is traditionally (but probably rarely nowadays) served as the first course, with some gravy as a filler. The idea being that people would require less meat if they were already full of pudding. It is normal to find Yorkshire pudding served with roast beef, although anyone who loves Yorkshire pudding are happy to have it with any roast meat. The same batter pudding is often served with sausages cooked in it as a main meal - this is known Toad in the Hole.

12323 Picture taken from Delia Smiths recipe for Yorkshire Pudding - recipe via link.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuis ... dding.html
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

You know something, whenever something is happening it always comes down to what I can get the cheapest, surely this is not the best way.

I would sooner go out for 6 or 7 hours of good food, entertainment, and chat, Christmas is only 1 day of the year.

For me the same applies to New Year, to let our hair down, (Those of us that have still got it),for around 8 hours dancing, good food and again entertainment and good chat. Again only one day in the year.

Think next year I will offer full Christmas Dinner for 10le, YES THAT'S WHAT I SAID 10LE, but then again I suppose I would be run off my feet and have to do more than 4 settings, And I do not like burgers and chips, or chip butties.

Come on all you Scrooges out there get into the spirit of the time of year, release the moths from your wallets, and have a good time.