Garden Centre

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Garden Centre

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

If your Jasmine isn't flowering and growing in barnyard poop ;) it is cause it IS getting too much poop......too heavy on the nitrogen

When you buy fertilizers on the package you typically see 3 numbers i.e. 6-8-6 or 20-20-20

The first number is nitrogen which comes from urea aka barnyard poop and promotes green growth. The second numbers Phosphorus and Potassium promote root structure and flowering.

If you're growing plants mostly in manure (hopefully composted otherwise the salts in the urea will burn your plant) they may grow like crazy and you get lots of green growth but few flowers. Best to stop with the barnyard poop. Add other soil and digging in some bone meal wouldn't hurt. Bone meal higher to the phosporus and potassium.

If you happen to have Bulb fertilizer (you'll note the small first number and the higher last 2 numbers) throw some of that on and did it in and you should shortly be in a world of fragrance.

Mostly you have to balance your soil away from having too much barnyard manure.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have bought so-called named varieties of Jasmine in Egypt and not been impressed by any of them and I don't plant them in manured soil. In fact my garden is organic and I haven't had any FYM for about 6/7 years so no fertiliser.

If you want loads of flowers and a heavenly smell - then find one that you like and persuade the owner to let you layer a cutting. Then treat it exactly as the owner of the mother plant treats his/hers.

I think they prefer a sunny spot and something steady to twine around. One of mine has grown up through a Satsuma bush and we just can't kill it. In fact it is usually in danger of killing the bush and to add insult to injury you would be hard pressed to find a flower on it. :x
Smile! It confuses people

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Mad Dilys wrote: When I first came to Luxor everyone thought I was crazy for composting FYM and putting it on the soil ( locals just threw it in the Nile :o ) Anyway, I used to have 50 to 150 tons of FYM put on my garden until DH did a trial of some maize with, or without the addition of FYM.

I haven't been able to get any for my garden since. :(
:td Oh ****, but I cannot help seeing this as a success story, anyway. :up

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I must be lucky then as mine has flowered every year since I planted it. Has a good climbing frame, now about three metre's high, plenty of flowers on. :up I trim all the dead stalks off every year.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

So the easy answer and question is: what do we feed the buffalo Mary to produce the right nitrogen manure ? we have chickens pidgins, sheep, humans, geese, turkeys, any of them good to mix in ? Bones ? I'll have a look around for them.
And have already been given and planted a different variety by JJ's Bar to 'mingle their pollens as to climbing frames ? I'm building them as it grows we have three so far.....cheers LLL & MD.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Believe it or not there is a HOT rating to different poos. Fresh chicken poo guaranteed to burn the roots off of any new plant. Chicken 'n Bird poo hotter 'n cow poo. Can't say I know much about Mary the Buffalo's poo but IMO it would be the weakest or less hot (is there such a thing as less hot?).

Who2 - You don't need any more poo of any kind. You need to start drying out egg shells (easiest to get) or fish bones or any type of small bones (pidgeon be easy to mash once they're dried) pulverizing them into powder and digging them in an around the roots. Water and jump back cause you'll turn into Jack of the gigantic beanstalk jasmine.

To get any stubbornly non-flowering plant to produce a bloom you need phosporus and potassium and presumably your soil has all the other micro nutrients.

Nitrogen contains salt and salt burns and if too much FRESH nitrogen (aka fresh manure of any type is used) you'll start to see your plants turn yellow - they're burning from the salts. Lots of inexperienced gardeners at this point add MORE nitrogen and then the plant wilts (no roots) and dies. Less is more re: nitrogen.

Also to note - if you're making new gardens and using fresh manure - nitrogen actually needs nitrogen to start the composting/breaking down process so even if you find a hardy type plant that will grow in fresh-ish manure it will often be nitrogren deprived.

Best advice get yourself a mega compost pile going and throw in anything that will rot. Turn and water well - you'll see the heat radiating up once the composting is in full swing ;) :up :up

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Funny you should mention pidgins Dr, that's the only S**t that seems to be valued here.

For some reason it's prized as a topdressing for grapes, and comparatively very expensive.

Reckoning I might learn something, I bought it for a couple of years as I was new to large scale viticulture, but when I found a lot of hen's feathers in a load, I stopped.

The next year's grape crop was spectacular. Ah, said the old boys, that's all the pigeon poo you had before, better have some more.....................

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Thank you kindly ladies, and after some 'finger-tapping, I have gone for an eggshell-my urine-banana-coffee grouts-sand-earth mixture. Working on the bonemeal.
I will report on the bushes progress....:cool:
Ps: now renamed 'Nigella' after the cook.....
'Nigella from the rear....she's broad in the beam!
Christine, who gave me the plant 4 years ago got it from the old colossi man.
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Who2 wrote:Thank you kindly ladies, and after some 'finger-tapping, I have gone for an eggshell-my urine-banana-coffee grouts-sand-earth mixture. Working on the bonemeal.
I will report on the bushes progress....:cool:
Ps: now renamed 'Nigella' after the cook.....
'Nigella from the rear....she's broad in the beam!
Christine, who gave me the plant 4 years ago got it from the old colossi man.
Your plant has got old thick stems at the base, and looks as if it is growing into a hedge - is the hedge being cut every year?

Also is it seems to be growing in a position where the roots are very restricted, being on the top corner of a retaining wall which gives it approx. one quarter of the available soil that would be available if it was planted in open ground. Hmmmmmm

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have been growing and cutting her 'Nigella, and training her to be a screening bush which she does very well 3 foot down is rubble ect from my building works, I even have a battery operated Bosch hedge & lawn trimmer, I'm quite ruthless with her, she even operates my gate spring and is now being trained to cross the canal via my car port...:cool:
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Who2 wrote:I have been growing and cutting her 'Nigella, and training her to be a screening bush which she does very well 3 foot down is rubble ect from my building works, I even have a battery operated Bosch hedge & lawn trimmer, I'm quite ruthless with her, she even operates my gate spring and is now being trained to cross the canal via my car port...:cool:
So she is starved and physically abused :o

No wonder she is scrambling over your car port and canal poor besom. :x

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thank you kindly ladies, and after some 'finger-tapping, I have gone for an eggshell-my urine-banana-coffee grouts-sand-earth mixture. Working on the bonemeal.
@Who2 - unless you're drinking close to 10 gallons of H2O per day so that you're whizzing very little salt I'd be aiming Ur in somewhere else. Remember Pee = salts = burn to plants ;) :up

Small fire near and mixed in the compost (potash) might not hurt.

Soil also contains or has something known as PH. Some plants like acid based soil (rhododendrons, camellias, azaleas) whilst others like alkaline soil (lilac). I don't really know what jasmine requires but if you've got an acid loving plant planted next to limestone it might be throwing her hormones :P out of whack to say nothing that SHE aka Nigella looks at bit root bound.

If Nigella is NOT (rootbound) by space you can take a spade and at about the drip line (straight down and a couple inches IN from the furthest end of her branches) cut down and cut her roots. Just do this once or twice. Idea is is that IF she has tap roots (1 big root) by cutting that you're forcing her to develop LOTS of tiny root fibres. This means she'll be able to bring in lots more nutrients to herself and grow even broader across the beam.

Test kits can give you your soils PH. I live in rain forest and most of our soils here are super acid to the point all nutrients leach out and we're throwing lime on everything to raise the PH so the plants can grab nutrients to grow.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Pleased to say he has had a new delivery from Cairo of flowering plants. :D

I got some lovely geraniums, I had asked him for some a few days before & he said they were due soon, plus loads more flowering impatiens as well as several other plants & they look really good. :)

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Is it possible to grow plants like jasmine and honeysuckle in containers?

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Is it possible to grow plants like jasmine and honeysuckle in containers?
I tried growing Jasmine in a large pot on my balcony, here in Turkey, but it didn't thrive after the first year. In the end I gave it to a friend to plant in her garden, it's huge now! :urm:

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks, Yildez. I won't try that then! :)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I'm going today and I am going to try it, you will have to check it out Y when you get here, not long now :wi

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well been to the garden centre today bought some nice new plants and flagged tuk tuk down to bring me home. The darned thing kept stopping and I had to get out and push it if anyone was passing they did help but got home and un loaded then the thing just wouldn't go, pushing and pushing the thing, two little boys came to help and found it very amusing that I would be pushing the motor bike, what could I have done left the poor man there alone, eventually a very nice strong man came along and got him going, never been so glad to see the back of anyone in all my life. Why does it always happen to me!

Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Well I have heard the phrase "pushing up Daisies" never heard one called " pushing the winter flowering plants in a Tuk Tuk "!!!!!

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Love it Carrie! :lol: :lol: Wish I could have seen you!!