Garden Centre

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Garden Centre

Post by carrie »

Just been to the garden centre near the Collossi, bought a six foot fiscus tree, lemon and orange tree, bussie lizzies, 2 hanging baskets with nice trailing plants, a large plant with big red flowers and two small plants a vivid green colour, big pot of mint, 4 large planters and a load of soil. Spent more than I thought I would, a little carried away, so didn't take enough money, No problem bring it to me tomorrow. All together came to 150le.
The man was very helpful made me a cup of tea and told me which plants needed full sun which shade, it is well worth a visit.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Garden Centre

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Use it all the time Carrie, you still need to get your plants hardened ready for the intense sun of the Summer and now is the right time.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Love garden centres myself. This one sounds pretty neat and interesting.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

You certainly weren't over charged!

This is the reason why we have stopped supplying local nurseries and outlets for the time being.

We had to close the shop after the revolution because our suppliers in the north wouldn't drive down in case they had their lorry high-jacked.

However, when the time is right, normal service will resume.
Smile! It confuses people

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This place is very good, used him for years, and as you say, very good value for money. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

He is such a lovely man. We use him a lot. Very glad he was good for you as well Carrie :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

this recommendation has popped up just at the right time! Need some greenery and blooms for the new balcony (Getting keys in the next few days InSha'Allah!) Thanks for posting it!
I wanted some hanging baskets is that possible? and tips on how to water them with out drenching the down stairs tenants!!!!!!!!!!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I bought some hanging baskets only small with a green trailing plant, watered them and the water did run through rather quickly so best to give them a soak let them stand then hang them back up, not heavy. Another tip take lots of money :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I know this man, at least I think I do, if he has been there for years.

An excellent man, glad he is getting business. :up

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Carrie, when you say Busy Lizzie, do you mean the periwinkles?

We got some great plants from him for inside our home, they are full of leaf and almost 6.5" high, they are over 3 years old now.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX »

Another tip if you are buying climbers from him. Go next door to the man who make the palm rib furniture. He will make up trellis panels about 2m by 1m. We bought a load to fix on our garden walls. He will make them to order if necessary. We now have all our garden walls paneled and plants climbing them. Much nicer than bare concrete render!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

To stop water getting through, line them first with plastic, or, if already potted, just re-pot them after lining them with plastic. Worked for me, although all mine are dead now after five years.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Hanging Baskets and Tubs - a watering tip - pierce a plastic water bottle and bury it in the compost the water your basket through the top of the bottle. This will help the lower levers get the water before the sun has evaporated it from the surface.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower »

i bought some lovely plants from this man also but he has a lot of them growing in heavy clay in old paint cans (or some sort of tin container) and found it difficult to re-plant them into my own bigger pots. Just found it really difficult to cut the side of the paint tin getting the plant out and nearly sliced my hand off with the bread knife doing so!
Any tips on that would be greatly welcomed.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I bought three of these in tins few years back, as you say near imposable to remove them without damaging the roots. I used my angle grinder on them, two minutes each to free them and no slashed hands. :up You could try a large hack saw for cutting metal. Should be easy enough as its only thin tin and most tool shops have them here with the blades.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Climbers on a gerete panel is good BB Lux, it stops the off shoots clinging to the wall and damaging the rendering, often climbers are the cause for crumbling cement rendering.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

lotusflower wrote:i bought some lovely plants from this man also but he has a lot of them growing in heavy clay in old paint cans (or some sort of tin container) and found it difficult to re-plant them into my own bigger pots. Just found it really difficult to cut the side of the paint tin getting the plant out and nearly sliced my hand off with the bread knife doing so!
Any tips on that would be greatly welcomed.
When I first stocked my garden we had lorry loads of trees and shrubs delivered - many of which were in tin cans.

I had tin snips at the ready, I started opening them up ............... to the bewilderment of the gardeners. "No, no Madam, that takes too long, this way!" with a lightening strikes from their multipurpose hoe the tin was pierced on the bottom and sides.

I was appalled, but overwhelmed by their enthusiasm and the sheer size of the task in from of me - so I carried on and so did they.

They told me that the tins would quickly rot when damaged and in moist conditions, but I wasn't convinced at that time. However, there really wasn't a significant difference between the trees planted by them and mine - and when we had to re-locate some of them 18 months later the tins had been reduced to flimsy metallic lace.

However, the heavy clay can be a bit of a problem unless watering is very finely tuned. Usually the "soil" used locally is silt, deposited for millennia to a great depth on agricultural land. there is very little humus or roughage to provide air to the roots of plants. So they become waterlogged and fail to thrive if well watered, or become as hard as a brick if not enough water - and subsequent watering doesn't penetrate to the heart of the container/pot.

We add desert sand to our own soil when using it for potting, especially young plants. It shouldn't be river sand, which is great for raising cuttings by itself, because it is too fine. A nice gritty sand does the trick as the silt is very fertile anyway.

With new plants, in the UK or in Egypt I always submerge the container in water at least until bubbles stop rising to the surface, better overnight. When I was managing a large garden centre in the UK 90% or more of returns due to the plant failing showed when the root ball was opened that the very heart of ball was dry. Even with modern composts, especially peat based ones, it is very difficult to re-moisten the compost without immersion.

PS When I first went to work one of the directors of the nursery couldn't understand why people bought lorry loads of topsoil until we pointed out that he had two lorry loads of farmyard manure delivered to his garden every winter.

PPS When I first came to Luxor everyone thought I was crazy for composting FYM and putting it on the soil ( locals just threw it in the Nile :o ) Anyway, I used to have 50 to 150 tons of FYM put on my garden until DH did a trial of some maize with, or without the addition of FYM.

I haven't been able to get any for my garden since. :(

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX »

Regarding the tins around the root ball. We bought several and I carefully removed the tin before planting...and they died off after a week :(
Talking to our landlord he told me it was better to leave them in the tin but just make extra holes in the metal before planting as it would soon rust away. Since then I have always left them in the tin after splitting the sides and adding a few holes. Every plant has thrived and the tins have almost gone.
Best to follow local advice. The heat dries out the root ball so quickly if the tin is removed.

As MD says adding gritty sand to a young plant area really helps to prevent the pancaking of the silt.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Gardners Question Time question: (unanswered)
Dear Panel...
"How come my Jasminum bush 4 years old isn't a profusion of characteristic 'fragrance known for it's white flowers.
a frustrated expat egyptian gardner...Fred C Dobbs Esq.
Ps: Probably mine didn't come in a tin...
Bush in question has been raised on manure, her next doors'............:cool:
Last edited by Who2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:Gardners Question Time question: (unanswered)
Dear Panel...
"How come my Jasminum bush 4 years old isn't a profusion of characteristic 'fragrance known for it's white flowers.
a frustrated expat egyptian gardner...Fred C Dobbs Esq.
Ps: Probably mine didn't come in a tin...

Maybe it needs a mate.

signed... a non expert non gardener.... Ms. H.bah
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley