Hamees next to Sinbads

Recommend to members and guests the best places in Egypt to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Hamees next to Sinbads

Post by Who2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Wandering around Luxor today searching for a hearing aid shop for a deaf old local and a couple of kilo of Magnesium sulfate for my 're-birthing pool™ I needed a drink, called Stan as Ramadan, he said "try Hamees, nice cool, Coptics stella 12 le So, from now on when I need a drink forget Sinbads try Hamees next door. Live & learn......:cool:
PS: Checked out, Ragab and Sons TV St, looks good and will get even better, saw fans with no blades £16, live & learn, no blades, la whaala.......
PSS: Also the Fish freezer shop practically opposite had soft-shelled crab and some nice langoustines...
PSSS: Attar, [Baker WB] Cheese flan and Apple flan + 2 x Onion loaves.
Also KZ has a new product Zanetti formaggio. http://www.zanetti-spa.it/prodotti.aspx

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Re: Hamees next to Sinbads

Post by timetraveller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Stella 12le in Hamees! It's only just gone up to 10le from 8le! Nobody minded that much as it had been 8le for locals and 10le for tourists for years, which was ridiculously cheap. Did you tell them you're a resident? Only tourists usually pay the tax there, and that might push the price up to 12le. Not that I begrudge Malak and Shenouda the extra really. Like everywhere else they've experienced lean times of late.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 pm

No I told him i was an Irish Jew and gave him 2O, la whaala...:cool:
It's been many years since I argued over 4p.
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

And how, by your reckoning, does 2 Egyptian pounds equal 4p Dr? :ni:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:49 pm

It doesn't, can't be 'arsed dealing with sums that equate to what I throw in the small change draw. I've seen tourists arguing over a shilling till I tell them shut-up and enjoy their bloody holiday, f*****cheapskates **** *** back to torremolinas or margate...:cool:
Tonight's Film 1965 The Knack and how to get it. Very reminiscent of Luxor today.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059362/plotsummary
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah, right. Whatever. Can't be bothered with your nonsense.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

When I went to Hamees for the first time in over a year last week, I noticed that they had added local taxes etc to the bill. At first I was slightly annoyed, as at Sindbad's, Stella is 10LE. However, I thought to myself that it was probably fair, as I only go there during Ramadan, so I can't really be called a regular!

My West Bank watering holes also charge me 10LE for a Stella with no add ons, but I think that casual visitors will find that the add-ons will appear on their bill.

And I do agree with the good doctor about quibbling over small amounts of change!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:30 am

It’s nice to see people on here arguing for dual pricing! But I suppose they come out on the cheaper side. If I were a tourist, I'd think twice about going back to a place that proclaims 10LE beer on a board outside and puts the price up to 12.50 once you've been served! That's Sindbads, by the way, but I imagine it's near-neighbour operates in the same way. I've heard people query the discrepancy and get an oily reply that it's down to tax and service charge. They don’t go away looking particularly happy.

For the record, I get charged 12.50 for a Stella at Sindbads (except if I’m sitting with one of the “in crowd” and the waiter whispers that he has not charged me tax!). I refuse, by the way, to start a scene by claiming I’m a resident – what if tourists start hearing that somebody sitting nearby gets a discount?

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Although I expressed surprise at the increase of the price of the beer in Hamees I would take pains to point out that I am not , as I think may have been implied, a cheapskate who worries about little bits of loose change. I was just surprised because they so rarely hike their prices.In fact I am, and always have been in Luxor, a good tipper, especially when I think the waiters need the money.

And when I Hamees for a cheap beer (which I have done for 12yrs now) it usually ends up costing me quite a lot more by the time I've tipped the waiter/s, bought tissues from the very sweet but very raggety little girl that sells them there, and then her sister and little brother (because I like to be fair where kiddies are concerned), and bought an out of date newspaper which I don't really want because I feel sorry for the guy plodding about in the hot sun all day trying to sell them. Then there are the guy's who come around selling watches,sunglasses, little chicken pecky toys and god knows what other tat. Plus I usually buy a chicken omelette for Wena and her offspring. Wena, for those that don't know is the oldest resident cat and has been plonking herself on my lap for years now. Suffice to say I am very fond of her and her entourage and like to see that they have been fed. Then there's the taxi home when I'd often rather walk or take the bus.

In fact I think it's fair to say, that I never count small change because I can never hang on to it for two minutes together because most of it goes very quickly in 'baksheesh'. And this has increased out of all proportion since the revolution because people genuinely seem to need it more.

So, if Who is so cavalier about his little bits of change, perhaps instead of throwing them in the 'change draw' (sic) he might think of distributing it amongst some of the Egyptian people who don't consider such small sums insignificant when they help to buy them bread, rice and other necessities at a time when many ordinary Egyptian people are, to put it mildly, very economically challenged.

So there. Record set straight I hope. :)

gd47

Post by gd47 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 am

Well, here's an idea!
What about a place where there is no dual-pricing, service and sales tax ARE included...as is entertainment, be it in terms of live music, full Olympic Games coverage or quiz nights, amongst other events. Full tourist license, spotlessly clean toilet facilities, air con, etc. etc.
And the staff are paid a very good wage, plus they receive ALL tips equally.
Surprisingly, such a place DOES exist...that's the Regal.
Oh, sorry, I forgot...Stella is 13le (unless you order in "Happy Hour", in which case it's 10le).
A lifetime sufferer of Zymocenosilicaphobia

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:46 am

Quote:So, if Who is so cavalier about his little bits of change, perhaps instead of throwing them in the 'change draw' (sic) he might think of distributing it amongst some of the Egyptian people who don't consider such small sums insignificant when they help to buy them bread, rice and other necessities at a time when many ordinary Egyptian people are, to put it mildly, very economically challenged.

So besides trying to impress us with the prices of beers locally one now tries to impress us with ones morals, ever built an Orphanage have we ?..........:cool:
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 am

No Who, I haven't ever built an orphanage. But I have worked with disadvantaged and abused children and young people for most my professional life. What about you? All you do is ridicule people who have been hurt or victimised in some way and to my mind you've been getting away with that for far too long. The fact that your snipes are usually made under the guise of humour :ni: doesn't justify them at all. And I don't find you even remotely funny. Just irritating. Furthermore, it was you who started this thread by bragging about getting a beer for 12le in Hamees! You just can't deal with the fact that somebody knows more about the place than you do. Because you're an attention seeking little know-it-all.

And why don't you give away your small change if it's so unimportant to you? Why toss it in a drawer when there are people all around you who could make good use of it?
Last edited by timetraveller on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 am

Yes George, of course the Regal is the superior establishment, particularly in the evenings. Hamees and Sinbads are still good daytime watering holes though, providing it's not too hot. :)

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 am

timetraveller wrote:No Who, I haven't ever built an orphanage. But I have worked with disadvantaged and abused children and young people for most my professional life. What about you? All you do is ridicule people who have been hurt or victimised in some way and to my mind you've been getting away with that for far too long. The fact that your snipes are usually made under the guise of humour :ni: doesn't justify them at all. And to my mind you're not even remotely funny. Just irritating. Furthermore, it was you who started this thread by bragging about getting a beer for 12le in Hamees! You just can't deal with the fact that somebody knows more about the place than you do. Because you're an attention seeking little know-it-all.

And why don't you give away your small change if it's so unimportant to you? Why toss it in a drawer when there are people all around you who could make good use of it?
Prick!
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 am

No, Who. I don't have one of those.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 am

You talk like you desire one then!
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:45 am

Really? Perhaps you're a little lacking in that department yourself....? Might explain the attitude!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

I apologize for my remark, having once met you an easy mistake to make.......:cool:
Sophocles.

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:02 am

The gloves are off again ... sigh! And I was going to say I enjoyed Timetraveller's post about all the extras you get by partaking of refreshments at Sindbads (and Hamees, I assume, though I've only been there once or twice) – the tissue kids and other sellers, the open air, even the cats (though a couple at Sindbads turn up their noses at chips!)

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 am

Don't be silly Who. I don't look anything like a man. Neither for that matter do you. More like a Garden Gnome! :lol: Want to trade any more insults?