Arabic Words

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Sara18

Post by Sara18 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Natashiah wrote:Hey LL I like your avater...velly velly nice! :lol:
Nat, I like your avator also......... Looks like my cat when she has been into something. ;)

Miriam

Post by Miriam » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:19 pm

you can use helluwa, as well as gameel , to a woman I suppose as it means beautiful. fakr is think. my favorite is ya asel (you honey or your sweet) but don't pronounce with a (h) or it means your too much trouble, ma brook (congratulations) is a word that is used alot. momtaz is excellent, we had to say something in Arabic lessons in college and instead of saying Cairo I apparently said kharia which is **** so I said something to the effect that Cairo was ****, my teacher was a male Syrian imam who preached in the local mosque in Sheffield well you should have seen his face my friend who speaks fluent Arabic was sat next to me creased up but he took it well and had quite a few more slip of the tongues by the time the course had finished so beware of miss-pronunciation :roll:

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:16 am

Fakka is also the word for asking for your change so there are a lot of confusions in the lnaguage as it relies heavily on the 'vowel' stresses. It can be very difficult to get your change out of some of the traders. If you do not ask for it you usually do not get it. "Iza fakka" - I want change - usually sorts it out.

Kaka is an interesting one for europeans. It is sharon fruit but sounds a bit like something else.

gerda

Post by gerda » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:14 am

I love the word "habibi".....it sounds so sweat....
and the word "mieja-mieja" 100%, sounds funny

I have a little bit mixed feelings with the word "insha-allah"...
I always get the feeling that it has the meaning "we will see, maybe yes maybe no".... I know that every breath you take it is thanks to Allah/God but why you have to say it with almost every thing you say or do....
(maybe I upset some people with this opinion....sorry....)

Gerda

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:17 am

It seems to get most men out of actually answering any question that they think might compromise them. :lol: :lol:

Chocolatey

Post by Chocolatey » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:08 pm

In my opinion it usually means "no"
When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.

Chocolatey

Post by Chocolatey » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:34 am

Just been to the red sea - was walking along the beach and there was a man doing camel rides. He yelled out to me "Do you want to touch my camel" - I replied by saying "never been asked that before" - he didn't get the joke.
When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:21 pm

Oh, Claire, that is really funny!!! I'll have to remember that one . . . the Egyptian version of "want to come up and see my etchings"!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Claire wrote:Just been to the red sea - was walking along the beach and there was a man doing camel rides. He yelled out to me "Do you want to touch my camel" - I replied by saying "never been asked that before" - he didn't get the joke.
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

The Egyptian

Post by The Egyptian » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:42 am

Claire wrote:...... He yelled out to me "Do you want to touch my camel"
Mrs. Mayor; Would you please be more specific. He did not mention which part of the Camel you would like to touch??? :lol:
THE EGYPTIAN!

Brian and Angie

Post by Brian and Angie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:12 pm

Hi as newbies on the forum we are just reading some of your posts...

I like this one and my favourite arabic has to be "ana b'hebeck habibi" as I am always saying it to Brian..... :love:

and as for ones I don't like apart from "buy one get one free" - "asda price" and "wanna ride in my Ferari"....grrrrrrrrrr.........
I don't like them repeatedly asking me "WHY" Ley! Ley! eeh by eck.. :roll:

I actually taught one of them to say eeh by eck and if you go into the Africa restaurant on the West Bank and shout EY UP.... you will get a response....lol....

Angie......... ;)

Sekhet

Post by Sekhet » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:50 pm

I found it was handy to learn some sentences that i can use in the appropriate situation, I write them down and say them over and over until they are engrained in my mind then i use them when the situation arises,

I ask egyptian friends to tell me how to say the sentence , I write the words down exactly the way that I will remember how to pronounce them myself, here are some of my sentences:

When Im in a temple and a pesky man wants to show me somthing that he has no real idea about , but its a means to get baksheesh from me,................. I say.................. LA..........Mush Ize masada ( NO..........i dont need any help)

I got on a caleache once and the young driver wanted to be a boyfriend or prospective husband i told him that he was number 19 on my list, and i will make a note of his name , he didnt let the subject drop so then I told him........ ...La Hussan AHasan menak (the horse is better looking than you!) I love that one, the caliche driver I used it on even found it amusing,

When bartering for something or being pestered to buy something i often say........... Ma fish faloos.....which amuses them because im telling them I have no money.

These words have been handy for me, and as I say they are written how I would say them. so they are not technically correct. but people seem to understand me

Its handy if you come across an egyptian friend, I have a young schoolgirl who is as enthusiastic to learn english as I am to learn arabic so we help each other along.
There was a really nice man that used to give arabic lessons for 40le, he sometimes worked in a small gift shop at the side of the Mina Palace Hotel, the shop is fixed price, which I prefer, no hassle bartering, I spoke to him on a few occasions I believe he is a teacher who arranges exhange visits with a school in england.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:18 am

Some useful ones there Sekhet :tu: