Price of Arabic Lessons

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Egypt

Price of Arabic Lessons

Post by hatusu » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Hi - could you all help me with something again please? you've never failed me yet.
When i come to live in Luxor in September I've arranged to have a few arabic lessons just to get me started then hopefully i will pick it up as I go along. My landlord has arranged for a friend of his who is a teacher to give me some lessons. However I dont understand what he has told me for the price and I dont want to appear a prat. His wording on the e-mail is as follows ..."And for lessons Arabic for 1 week 3 day lesson & 6 aowear it make 100LE".
Now I understand this to mean 3 x 2hr lessons each week at 100LE for the week but this seems awfully cheap. However I dont want to say this to my landlord if this is the going rate and he immediately ups the price. Neither do I want to insult the teacher or have a misunderstanding. If this really is the going rate I'll be able to afford a few more lessons.
Any advice all of you?

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Teachers' salaries here are extremely low and so they do private tutoring to supplement their income. The sum of 100LE per week for the lessons you've mentioned sounds right to me :)
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 pm

It also sounds about right to me especially if he is travelling to your home and coming there at your convenience. Also your landlord will be getting his commission on that amount for bringing the work to his friend.

10 LE per hour is about the going rate so do not feel guilty. Your landlord will be happy and so will your teacher.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Thanks both of you.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Hatusu, we are over again in October & would definitely like to learn more than the very basic words we know now.
Do you think we would be able to "borrow" your teacher whilst we are there, we will be on the West Bank? I presume that rate is per person but even double seems cheap, would you mind letting us know how you get on with him/her?

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:40 pm

I'll be delighted to share him with you if he's any good. I'm going out end of August now (couldnt get flight beginning of September at right price) and I'm hoping to start lessons as soon as poss after that, so by the time you arrive I should have a pretty good idea of what he's like.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:00 am

That's great Hatusu thank you.

Sounds from one of your other posts that we will be near you as well. :)

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:47 am

Hatusu, if he is good let me know too because I have been looking for a good Arabic teacher for a long time now. I don't want to learn to read and write Arabic, I just want to know more of the grammar etc.

Andre

Learning Egyptian Arabic

Post by Andre » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:52 am

I hope your teacher is good!

I've been learning Arabic for the last 9 years and I am still at the beginning. It is not easy to find teachers.

If you want to learn classical Arabic, no problem, you'll find a lot of people who can teach it properly. But you won't be able to talk to the people in the street. They might understand you but you will not understand them.

Egyptian Arabic (Ammeya) is another question. That is what people speak. But they don't know the rules. They just speak it but they've never learned the rules in school. And the grammar is quite different from the classical Arabic.

I have found some good teachers for Ammeya in a school in Cairo. But they were professionals who had trained at the British Council for years.

What you can do to help your local teacher with the methodology is to pass at the bookshop of the American University in Cairo. They have several good teaching methods for Egyptian Arabic.

If you can't pass in Cairo and want to buy a book at home, be careful. You might end up with a book teaching you the Arabic of Lebanon or Morocco? And this time the people will not even understand you!

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am

I did that Andre, I bought all the Hugo tapes and I bought several books but they were of little use to me. I have a friend in Luxor who worked for a Saudi Prince and speaks fluent classical Arabic but nobody can understand him that is why it would be useless for him to teach it to me. I want to be able to speak street Arabic so that I can be understood in Luxor.

When I was living on the west bank, I had an Egyptian man phone me from Alexandria. He said that next time I had to ring him because the woman who answered the phone could not speak English and could not speak Arabic either - it was my partner's mother but the Luxor accent is so strong that even those from other parts of Egypt cannot understand it.

I have picked up enough over the years to be able to get by, but I still cannot hold a conversation with anyone.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:13 pm

You're making my brain hurt already and I havent even started yet!
So I presume the vocabulary list on the forum is Egyptian Arabic as opposed to classical?

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:34 pm

It is the promunciation that differs not the actual words - although there are colloquial words for many things. In southern Egypt the glottal stop is usually filled with a g sound (as in girl). And the g's as in girl become G as in George.

The Hugo tapes are Arabic as spoken in Jordan.

Andre

Egyptian Arabic

Post by Andre » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Just to help with your headache, when I spoke about Egyptian Arabic I ment the Arabic spoken in Cairo. The language in Upper Egypt is different again. But as Luxorlover points out, the difference is in the pronounciation, and you pick up the rules for this difference quite easily.

Learning the Arabic of Cairo is the best bet. As Egypt is one of largest producers of movies and TV programmes in the Arabic world, nearly every Arab will understand this dialect.

Of course, an inhabitant of Luxor will point out that the language spoken in Luxor isn't the same as the one on the Westbank. But this is for later, after a few years of practice.

Anyway, most Egyptians will have difficulties understanding you.
First, thy expect you to speak English. And they will compare the sounds that you make to their English vocabulary.

And second, they are not used to foreigners speaking Arabic and they will expect you to pronounce the words exactly as they do!

But if you insist they usually understand you, if you are lucky.

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:51 pm

That is another problem that I have also encountered Andre. I am used to people speaking very bad English and can usually get the gist of what they are on about from the few words that are discernible. This does not work the other way around.

As Andre pointed out, people are not used to hearing even slightly different pronunciations of their words. And after you have suffered several minutes of total frustration on repeating a word that you know is right, they will way "Ah" as they begin to understand and the repeat your word, which to you will sound identical to the one you were saying. You then want to bang your head against the nearest wall.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Luxorlover wrote: You then want to bang your head against the nearest wall.
I'm used to that I live with BBLUX!! :lol:
No seriously I think I'm too old to become anything like fluent :( but I just want to be able to understand and speak a little more arabic when in Luxor. I find even the few words that we do speak, however badly pronounced :oops: show we are trying, & do get a positive response, unless they are negative words dealing with hassle :x

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

It pays to know the basics of the language - then you know what people are saying about you and about prices.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Luxorlover wrote:It pays to know the basics of the language - then you know what people are saying about you and about prices.
Might be best not to know at times ;) Prices certainly!

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Fablux - looking forward to meeting you on the 22nd in London. I think we'll need to give each other some moral support after everything we've just read!

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:03 pm

You'll have a good head start though :urm:
See you on the 22nd :)

Volcano

Learning Arabic

Post by Volcano » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi All

This is my first post - fingers crossed it works OK!

Having read the thread on learning Arabic, I don't know if this will help anyone, but I've been learning basic Arabic with Linguaphone. the package is called 'Learn Arabic PDQ', it cost around £30. The dialect is from Cairo, but I'm hoping people in Luxor will understand me.

There are 4 CDs, and a book. It takes you through the basics. I guess I'll be able to measure the success of it when I come back in October.

Best wishes,
D.