Help with my vowels pretty please xx

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Help with my vowels pretty please xx

Post by JOJO » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm

I've been learning classical Arabic and have just about mustered the reading and writing However I'm not getting how a couple of the vowels are working with Egyptian Arabic.....for instance

لحمة قوزى ( lahma oozzee) regarding the oo in oozee there is nothing about the letter و(wow/wa) that tells me it is now being used as the vowel 'oo' ???

Likewise regarding the ى again how do I determine that it is being used as a 'ee' rather then a 'ya' ?

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I thought you'd made a typo in the title, and was about to recommend Senokot, or Syrup of Figs!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:40 pm

LivinginLuxor wrote:I thought you'd made a typo in the title, and was about to recommend Senokot, or Syrup of Figs!
:lol: :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Egyptians have a habit of writing ي as ى at the end of words and it is pure laziness about the dots, not a matter of pronunciation at all. I have never understood why they do it in typing so much too as it is laziness in writing but typing it require an extra stretch of the finger to make the mistake. The result is though that they often switch them around the other way and write ى as ي. In good Arabic, they will use the proper letters but I see educated Egyptians mess them up all the time in formal documents (and have to correct them myself) so even then you can't count on it to be correct. The best way to know is to have a dictionary that writes them correctly or know from context; nisba adjectives for example will normally end in ي. With time as you learn the words you will notice when something is wrong but if you don't know the word to begin with then a dictionary is your best bet.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks Glyph that makes more sense now :) Egyptian writing seems to lack most of the other symbols as well as dots. It seems to be guess the sound and learn it over time!

Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Jojo, how fantastic that you're learning arabic!! Are you attending some class where you live? :)
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Miriamkhalifa wrote:Jojo, how fantastic that you're learning arabic!! Are you attending some class where you live? :)
I am :) Can get quite confusing at times though seeming as our Tutor is from Pakistan and as a very strong Urdu accent :)
I keep getting told off for the bad habits I have picked up in Luxor.
I argued the blue that yes is Iwa. He said "it might be in Luxor but everywhere else it is Nam". I told him he must be getting mixed up with Urdu because 'Nam' is a bread.Ok I call it Nam bread :oops: :oops:

Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Hahaha, you must be a very challenging student, young lady! Very jealous of you. Well done Jojo!!!
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"