Egyptian Arabic??

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Irishchick

Egyptian Arabic??

Post by Irishchick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Ive been using this site to help me with my Arabic

www.arabic-studio.com

Could someone do me a favor and tell me if this guy is teaching egyptian arabic?

Also could someone explain the difference between Egyptian and Classical Arabic??

Thanks!!

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 pm

All Arab countries have their own form of Arabic, Egyptian, Turkish, Pharisee, Moroccan, Lebanon etc: Classic Arabic is the "official" Arabic it is not generally spoken but most well educated people in any Arabic country will eventually understand you, but you do not want to learn this. Egyptian Arabic is particularly difficult as all parts of Egypt have a different dialect. If you learn Cairo Arabic, which is the dialect most taught, it will be easy to adapt to the Luxor dialect for instance. The free online course you are looking at is not Egyptian Arabic but Modern Standard Arabic. It will however give you working knowledge of Arabic which would give you a basis for learning Egyptian Arabic.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 am

Crap. I thought I had finally found a good resource lol.

Do you know of any sites that teach egyptian Arabic?

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 am

Don't know a website, but Lonely Planet do both Arabic and a specifically Egyptian Arabic pocket-sized phrasebooks.
Carpe diem! :le:

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:29 pm

I dont know if a phrasebook will be enough. I want to learn the language and how to use tenses' ect and how to write arabic

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Could anyone recommend a good book.? Im thinking about the lonley planet one but are there any others that will teach egyptian arabic or arabic that is used in luxor??

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Theres one called Kulla Taman? which I've been told is excellent - I've got it, and have never got past chapter 1!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Chapter one is very short with English and the equivalent Arabic, chapter two and all subsequent chapters are in Arabic only. You can only use this in conjunction with a teacher.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 am

Dont think ill need that then :P

Any other suggestions?

Rachel turner

Post by Rachel turner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:39 pm

The Egyptian arabic CD and book" Rosetta stone" have a series of audio - but then again Luxor has a different dialect - as i get corrected many times- i do no t pronounce the words as profound.- especially when you have to use different sounds from quite difficult areas of your mouthpiece - (im trying to explain politely) but if you think of clearing your throat that should help . Not easy for the women to mimic .
I find chatting to people easiest and also listening to audio whilst riding my bikw or in the car - you can google and get many versions to download .Arab genie is an interesting one -, but my teacher says to listen to tv programmes , music lyrics etc lets you learn ina more fun way.
Friends are like stars -you dont always see them but they are always there........

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Rachel. Its really hard to find books ect with arabic thats used in luxor. Why is it so hard?

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:52 pm

There's interesting stuff about a software program for Egyptian Arabic called Vocab Clinic, published by the American University in Cairo Press, on the http://www.egyptianarabic.com website. I get down to the small print, though, and it's not compatible with Apple computers! Might be of use to Windows users, though.

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks Tony ill have a look at that :)

Claire

Irishchick

Post by Claire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm

The Arabic spoken in Luxor is a regional dialect and like any regional dialects is not usually written down or taught formally. The Arabic kids are taught in schools is Modern Standard Arabic as this is what is used in books and newspapers and for formal usage. It is different from what they speak anywhere in Egypt. The grammar is different and some of the words.
I can speak Cairene Arabic but this is understood throughout Egypt. I can also understand the Luxor dialect. There are some letters which are pronounced differently like 'g' is a hard g in Cairo but a soft 'j' in upper Egypt and a few words are different but I usually manage to work out what is being said and make myself understood! There are a few books and language courses which are specifically Egyptian in you look on Amazon but once you have the basics you would probably learn most once you are back in Egypt.

Irishchick

Post by Irishchick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks claire :)

Claire

Good luck!

Post by Claire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Irishchick another tip is just go for it. Don't be afraid of making mistakes and try to speak. That's how I learnt. Admittedly it helps when you are surrounded by Egyptian relatives who don't speak English but start with a few words and then string things together and listen to what they are saying around you. And ask what things are 'Yani eh?' what does it mean? is probably one of the most useful expressions to have. Good luck!