Handy Phrase

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scott

Handy Phrase

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:47 am

HI, All!

It seems that some time ago there was a posting here that gave the phrase (in Egyptian, of course) of "I live here."

I have searched for it without luck. Can someone post it ???

Very Best to all,
Scott

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

KJB
Egypt

Post by KJB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 pm

Aisha henna. :)

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Shukran!!!

andy

Post by andy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 pm

KJB wrote:Aisha henna. :)
Does it mean the same if you say Enna aisha henna or have I been talking jibberish again

I Dont Drive Fast I Just Fly LOW

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Just one point, as a man it would aish henna
aisha heena is for a woman speaking.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Even better if you add where you live - like "aish henna fi Awamia" (or wherever)
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 pm

BBLUX wrote:Just one point, as a man it would aish henna
aisha heena is for a woman speaking.
Obviously he was a pupil at the Mrs D school of Arabic

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:11 pm

you can also say "ana sakhna henna" for a woman, but not sure what the male version is.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Mrs. Doubtfire » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:33 pm

It's Ana Sak-un Hana, Shareen.

Although Aish/a hana is understood in Luxor to mean "I live here" It is more correct I believe in Arabic to say: Ana nas-kun hana. It can also be expressed Ana nas-kun Luxor "I live in Luxor" . One could also get asked: "Do you live here" which is Hal-teskun hana? Another alternative is "Ana sa-kun hana" (I live here) or for the really sensible amongst us why not just simply say in English "I live here" They all know perfectly well what it means.

This way one will not be presumed to speak Arabic (quite a disadvantage) so a conversation will not ensue. If they should venture to reply in Arabic, all one needs to do is to say in perfect English "I dont understand a single word of what you have said" and dismiss them with a wave of the hand out of the sacred presence.

This way one will not have to endure a tedious conversation about money or sex which are the only two things on which the majority seem to focus. Why waste valuable time with time-consuming hassel? Most Egyptians understand certain French words (which I have taken the trouble to learn in my youth). There are a number of various Arabic equivalents, of course, but what's the point when most Egyptians understand the French and which is so much more convenient and readily available on the tongue?

The last thing one wants to tell an Egyptian is that they live here (or speak Arabic) as, they being such a nosey race of people, the next question is likely to be "Where" ? (fayn) . The only advantage (and there is only one) to learing Arabic is not to speak it, but so that it can be perceived what they are saying when they are not aware they are being understood!
That is often quite revealing!

Of course, should one actually 'want' to enter into some kind of monetary or sex situation, it is by far more convenient to use the fingers in a number of internationally understood gestures. A few nods and wink does the rest without having to enter into the tedious business of being distracted by a most irksome language and extremely difficult conversation.

Body language is internationally recognised by the animal instincts, and says about 80 percent more than the verbalised word. By comparison it is much easier to learn and actually says so much more than words can express. I use it all the time!

Mrs. D. doesnt teach Arabic Horus. Eye predicates yes. That means I am able to tell which part of the brain is being used when the mouth is operating. This is very useful especially when lies are coming out! :mrgreen:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:06 am

Mrs D wrote:
Mrs. D. doesnt teach Arabic Horus
What a pity, I for one would have loved to enrol in such a venerable institution.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 am

An entertaining discourse MrsD :lol:

However, on the vast majority of occasions that I have told someone that I live here in arabic during offers of motor boat, felluca, taxi, etc it has been met with an apology and being wished a good day. It's all in the way you say it :mrgreen:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 am

It's all in the way you say it
that is as true in egypt as it is anywhere, a phrase I did find useful especially for small children chasing after you was "oooscot" mening something like "go away" but not like imshee - however it always did the trick :D
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 am

BBLUX wrote:An entertaining discourse MrsD :lol:

However, on the vast majority of occasions that I have told someone that I live here in arabic during offers of motor boat, felluca, taxi, etc it has been met with an apology and being wished a good day. It's all in the way you say it :mrgreen:
I have yet to meet anyone in my life who was incapable of hailing a taxi themselves, or spotting a boat or a fellucca on the shore that might be available for transport and engaging it without any prompting from the driver/captain himself. Mrs. D's discourse is more than entertaining, it is wise. Why should you have to waste your breath at all with anyone trying to foist unwanted services on you? And learning a few key phrases in Arabic to respond to questions they have no business asking in the first place is not necessarily useful. No one needs to know whether you live here, Timbuktu or Alaska. I wouldn't want to give my business to someone in a shop who just charged me less just because I live here, because that will just help them to stay in business to overcharge someone else.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 am

jewel wrote:
It's all in the way you say it
that is as true in egypt as it is anywhere, a phrase I did find useful especially for small children chasing after you was "oooscot" mening something like "go away" but not like imshee - however it always did the trick :D
I see Jewel learned how to insult children while she was in Egypt, using terms she is totally mistranslating here!

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 am

Glyph, they all have to make a living and I have yet to see any tourist actually walk up to a strange Egyptian and ask if they have a felluca and could they take them out in it :roll:

The distinction between "living here" and just being a visiting tourist is a significant one and not lost on the average man touting for business. :D

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm sure I am just an ignorant Philistine who completely misses the point raised by others - but - if I may say - I am on a fixed income and economy is a not insignificant reason for my being here. Having said that, I don't know why I should happily pay 500 LE for something when i can buy it (at the same place) for 125 LE. Maybe someone can explain that to me. In any case I am SURE a merchant will NOT EVER sell at a loss.

Best to all,
Scott

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 pm

It's hard for me to feel sympathy. Most Egyptians living on a pension are getting less than $100 a month and they do OK. Your problem is not the cost of living in Egypt but your chosen lifestyle.

Most price surveys will show you that living an expat lifestyle in Egypt costs more than living in the US does, and certainly a lot more than living in Ohio does. It doesn't make sense to come here to retire if you want to enjoy the same lifestyle you might have had back home. Either you have to expect a cut in the standard of your living or expect to pay more to maintain it.

My parents retired only 2 years later than you retired and I doubt they ever earned even 1/4 of what you were making in your career because they were teachers, and even though they retired now 20 and 24 years ago respectively they live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is not cheap, on pensions and never complain about the cost of living and live quite comfortably.

If you look at all the luxuries you take for granted in your life (and yes, they are luxuries) I think you will start to see that the Egyptians around you who charge you 125LE for something in doing so are probably never going to have the opportunity to enjoy those things themselves. Only if they charge you a price that provides them with a living wage (eg 500LE) can they ever start to dream of making the kind of money you have been blessed with the ability to make in your life.

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm with Glyph and Mrs D (really can't believe I just said that!)
It always does invite the "where?" question - and I can't be bothered to get into all that and if anyone is going to get into a discourse about price, I can't be bothered to start justifying it with an I live here conversation - because then you just get straight on it to the where's and hows and how longs. I just want to do my shopping and get on!

Uscut, Jewel means Shut up, Hush up, stop up your gob kind of thing.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

BBLUX wrote:Glyph, they all have to make a living and I have yet to see any tourist actually walk up to a strange Egyptian and ask if they have a felluca and could they take them out in it :roll:
True, but in other parts of the world tourists will line up for boat rides and pay a lot more for them! They act too desperate chasing after the tourists and I think they are then unable to get a decent price for what they are touting in the first place.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Goddess wrote:I'm with Glyph and Mrs D (really can't believe I just said that!)
It always does invite the "where?" question - and I can't be bothered to get into all that and if anyone is going to get into a discourse about price, I can't be bothered to start justifying it with an I live here conversation - because then you just get straight on it to the where's and hows and how longs. I just want to do my shopping and get on!
Once you have been here a little longer and make friends or get married, you will come to realize that the only people that it is worth engaging in a conversation with are the people that your friends and/or family introduce you to or that you meet through work. Engaging in conversations with random people on the street or in shops is just a waste of time.

And if a shopkeeper wants to know whether you live here, he will figure it out after you patronize his business a few times because you were pleased with the service/product he has to offer and came back again. There is no need to ask such questions or to answer them.