These will keep you lot busy!

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

These will keep you lot busy!

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:10 am

When I travel overseas, I always carry a small (thin paperback-novel sized) photo-album with photos of my family, closest friends, our houses and pets, postcards and pictures from magazines of Sydney, Aussie flora and fauna, and the variety of environments we have here.
It makes a great talking point to break down the barriers between cultures, and gives both parties a chance to practise each others' language.
Usually I just point and try to remember the appropriate word, but this time I am getting better organised and going to label them in English and Arabic, as I am also often asked to spell names.
Therefore, I need help with the following, please, as I cannot find them in any of my books or the forum dictionary:

surfing rainforest Olympics tropical ski-fields
dairy farm possum penguin heron emblem (as in floral/state) petrified (as in forest)

Also, have I got the following correct?

My parents - waalidayya Their dog(s) - kalbhum/kalbaynu
Their house - bayt-hum My house - bayt-ee

Carpe diem! :le:

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Thats a good idea WI. Hope you get the answers you need :)

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Cripey WI!

Them words don't crop up in conversation much (But I might make it my mission to get Possum into a conversation later this week!

I'll have a dig about in my dictionary later.

Just a thought: Have you tried Google translate? For one off words it's quite good - it will spit it out in Arabic script though, but that might be a bit of a bonus? If it's not - you could copy and paste it - and we could have a stab at guessing the pronunciation.

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm still sitting here trying to work out what 'tropical ski fields' are :oops:
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Countessa wrote:I'm still sitting here trying to work out what 'tropical ski fields' are :oops:
[face=Comic Sans MS]Oh! I read it as 'tropical, ski fields'.

WI - I do something similar to you and always carry postcards of my home town and the UK with me.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Sadly my dictionary doesn't have 'possum' in it - So it looks like I'm going to have to bob off to Google translate and see what that spits out to complete my mission!

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Quite a handy little tool for odd words - but be warned it has been known to spit out pure poppycock! If it doesn't know the word it has a nasty habit of just translating the letters.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Yes, Fabby, I must say it is one of my better ones. Others I have met travelling have copied it with great success.
:lol: Countessa! No silly, they are meant to be separate of course.
Thanks G, will try Google, but cannot read Arabic, so I may get back to you shortly. I had figured words like possum have no translation, but thought I'd check anyway. They are probably just English spoken with an arabic accent like dolphin is "dolpheen".Good luck with using possum in conversation. :lol: (That's like one of the announcers on our classical music version of your BBC radio. She gives you a silly/bizaare line from an opera or some such, and challenges you to drop it into a conversation...good fun).

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 am

Nope, the arabic is totally beyond me! So if anyone can help, I would be very appreciative :)

Once bitten

Post by Once bitten » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:57 am

Countessa wrote:I'm still sitting here trying to work out what 'tropical ski fields' are :oops:
Contessa-Haven't you worked out yet that very few people on here use correct grammar, and English. Posters tend to ignore CAPITOLS, and punctuation. :lol: :lol: :) :) :mb:

Christine

Translate

Post by Christine » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi Guys
I do a similar thing to W I, but i use my mobile phone, i have pics of my family friends where i work and what i do, pics of my home where it is and what it looks like on the inside , and even of things like our weather, eg snow .
Its been a huge success.
Chris

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Well I cheated and asked an Egyptian friend to translate.

surfing = tazalog 3ala el Amwag (water surfing, not internet surfing)
rainforest = al 3'abat al momtera
olympics = Dawrat Al 2al3ab Al 2olempeya
troppical = Madareya
ski-feilds = 7okool al tazalog 3ala el galeed (snow)
no word for possum. He looked at a picture but didn’t recognize the animal. Poor little marsupial.
penguin = ta2er al batreek
heron = al belshon
emblem = she3ar or badge or 3alama (as in logo, insignia. He said all three words would work)
petrified = mota7agera
petrified forest = 3'abat mota7agera
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 am

Wow, thanks PR, very kind of you! I assumed someone with an Egyptian friend/relly would be the natural source, knowing they would be obscure words for the average non-native speaker.

However, though I have seen numbers used in words before, I don't know how they work, doh! :oops: Sorry to be a bother. Can guess, but want to be sure.

Figured possum would be a non-starter! Was expecting that would be the only name to use.

Please thank your kind friend for taking the time and trouble! Shukran gezilan:bl:

Christine, you have the high-tech version...I am decidedly low-tech! :roll: :lol: I have great fun with mine...a great ice-breaker with all ages/both sexes.

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 pm

You are very welcome WI.

Well he did offer to give them to me in arabic letters but my computer doesn't support that :lol:. When arabic is written in English letters, I know numbers are included and I believe it is to represent sounds that are not included in the normal alphabet. Or as he called it "internet arabic that most will understand." He just made sure I knew not to delete the numbers.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 am

Okay, at least it's a starting point. Maybe someone else can simplify things. I will look in my texts and dictionaries and see if is something there on phonics that will clear it up.

Hmmm, maybe they represent the aiyn and glottal stop...would he be able to tell me that, and if so which number represents which? Then I can interpret them, no trouble.

Thanks again ;)