Saudi coffee

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Saudi coffee

Post by jewel »

At the eid I was invited to some friends, and they had a friend visiting from Saudi Arabia...they brought some of the delicious cardamon coffee...you know the one that is just like pure cardamon. Does anyone know how its made/ where to get it in Egypt or the UK?

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Saudi coffee

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is definitely a really delicious drink.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

jewel wrote:At the eid I was invited to some friends, and they had a friend visiting from Saudi Arabia...they brought some of the delicious cardamon coffee...you know the one that is just like pure cardamon. Does anyone know how its made/ where to get it in Egypt or the UK?
A quick internet search leads to lots of information of where to buy or how to make Cardamom Coffee. Here's just one link that I thought had some interesting ingredients in the recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional- ... fee-304029
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Thanks for that Hepzibah looks interesting.....I will have a go. When I enquired I was told they had brought it with them from Saudi and as I don't plan a trip there anytime soon that will be helpful. :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For starters, look at the two major online selling sites in the UK. There are dozens of adverts for Cardamom Coffee from various brands.

I don't know if the coffee sellers are still in Luxor but I know there used to be at least a couple of shops where you could buy fresh coffee beans which they would grind for you. I recall some British folk didn't like them because no matter what coffee they chose it always tasted of something (which I can't remember exactly but think it was cardamom) because of what else went through the grinder.
This would lead me to believe that you can, or at least could, buy it in Luxor.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

It is said that ingesting too much cardamom could cause impotency in men. :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:For starters, look at the two major online selling sites in the UK. There are dozens of adverts for Cardamom Coffee from various brands.

I don't know if the coffee sellers are still in Luxor but I know there used to be at least a couple of shops where you could buy fresh coffee beans which they would grind for you. I recall some British folk didn't like them because no matter what coffee they chose it always tasted of something (which I can't remember exactly but think it was cardamom) because of what else went through the grinder.
This would lead me to believe that you can, or at least could, buy it in Luxor.
You certainly can buy it in Luxor Hepzibah!! I always buy 2 or 3 kilos when I visit, and then try to eke it out as long as possible. I go to a small place on the left hand side of the main dual carriageway that runs from the Winter Palace end of Television Street to the station. It's a tiny shop up some steps, and the very nice owner grinds to your desired coarseness, adding Cardamon if you wish. I do! Double dose!! I love it!!! :D There are lots of other shops too, you just need to keep your eyes peeled!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Oh yes I recall standing for an hour whilst you discussed how fine the grain, how much cardamon, still you went home happy and in pocket compared to Turkish prices.
I can't stand the stuff.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

All this is very interesting. For many years I have been occasionally putting the seeds of one average size cardamom pod into a cup of coffee with the grounds, or even with the granules before introducing the water. I think it improves instant coffee no end.

We call it Sprinkles, because when using sign language (so that I don't interrupt a conversation) - for do you want a cup of coffee, a sprinkling movement of the fingers indicates added cardamom.
Smile! It confuses people
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

OK. Been thinking about this since I first read Jewel's post. I've come to the conclusion that I've not tried cardamom coffee and perhaps should do before I become much older.

The one coffee seller in Luxor I can visualise was on the narrow main road, (one way?), that came out not too far before the road widens and passes the entrance to the souks just before the Emilio hotel. It's been quite a while since I was in that area so I don't know if he, or even the property, is still there.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Walk from Sindbad's past the new shops behind the Luxor Hotel, take a right round the bend there's a great coffee makers there or carry on to Manchia St turn left and another one there that Yildez gets hers from. Think the one in Emelio St. has gone.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:OK. Been thinking about this since I first read Jewel's post. I've come to the conclusion that I've not tried cardamom coffee and perhaps should do before I become much older.

The one coffee seller in Luxor I can visualise was on the narrow main road, (one way?), that came out not too far before the road widens and passes the entrance to the souks just before the Emilio hotel. It's been quite a while since I was in that area so I don't know if he, or even the property, is still there.
Go to any coffee shop - respectable, of course! - and ask for a spicy Egyption/Turkish coffee. As I write this my mouths watering! Sadly I finished mine some months ago, and I can't buy it where I live. :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yildez wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:OK. Been thinking about this since I first read Jewel's post. I've come to the conclusion that I've not tried cardamom coffee and perhaps should do before I become much older.

Go to any coffee shop - respectable, of course! - and ask for a spicy Egyption/Turkish coffee. As I write this my mouths watering! Sadly I finished mine some months ago, and I can't buy it where I live. :(
Is it normally drunk sweet? I generally don't like the texture of Egyptian/Turkish coffee and definitely when it's really sweet. I like coffee very much but usually drink it black, strong and a big mug of it too!
-Aldous Huxley
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Dusak wrote:It is said that ingesting too much cardamom could cause impotency in men. :cry:
Thats a great reason to try it then! ;)

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Yildez wrote:

Is it normally drunk sweet? I generally don't like the texture of Egyptian/Turkish coffee and definitely when it's really sweet. I like coffee very much but usually drink it black, strong and a big mug of it too!
I love the turkish type coffee and have that "masbout" ( sweet) and I also like Greek coffee and have that "metrio" ( medium sweet) but the saudi style coffee has NO real coffee in it...just cardoman I think. It is a yellow colour, but tastes wonderful.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Yildez wrote:

Although I like sweet things I can't bear sugar in coffee or tea. In Egypt I always have to insist very strongly that YES, I don't want ANY sugar!!!! It's the same here in Turkey :dun:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

jewel wrote:
I love the turkish type coffee and have that "masbout" ( sweet) and I also like Greek coffee and have that "metrio" ( medium sweet) but the saudi style coffee has NO real coffee in it...just cardoman I think. It is a yellow colour, but tastes wonderful.
They do sell creamy coloured unroasted coffee beans both in Saudi Arabia and uncommonly in Cairo, which are either made into a drink by simply adding water and bringing it to the boil - or slightly roasting the beans in an open pan first.

I have never seen it ground but no doubt it could be, and of course cardamon added at any point. 8)
Smile! It confuses people