Raspberry and coconut semifreddo

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DawnBev
Location: currently Yorkshire, previously Middle East, and Central Europe; hoping to retire to Egypt

Raspberry and coconut semifreddo

Post by DawnBev »

300 g raspberries
100ml clear honey
400 ml reduced fat custard
200 ml reduced fat creme freche
1 x 400g can reduced fat cocnut milk

place 200g of the raspberries into a bowl with the honey. Mash with a fork, then strain through a sieve.

stir in the custard, then the creme freche and then the coconut milk

fold in the remaining raspberries and pour into a tin.

cover with clingfilm and freeze.

leave at room temperature for approx 20 mins for slicing

serve with raspberry coulis
or mint leaves and other berries

Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

OMG! that sound delish.

But why sieve ? if you add the remaining raspberries.

I made this yesterday

Carrot and Chocolate Cake with Lime Icing

I know it sounds weird but it's tasty and our security guys haven't died yet
:lol:

500g flour
teasp baking powder
4 eggs
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa
1 grated carrot
400 ml oil
400 g sugar
teasp salt

Whiz it all up and bake at 190 degrees till firm.
Then put juice of 5 little limes with the zest in a dish and mix with icing sugar till pouring consistency and pour over and let it set.

Serve to your friends or complete strangers on a tray with a cold glass of Pineapple Fayrouz on ice.
They'll thank you for it in this heat

;)
"I think I may have swine flu…….I've come out in rashers "

DawnBev
Location: currently Yorkshire, previously Middle East, and Central Europe; hoping to retire to Egypt

Post by DawnBev »

that doesnt sound weird at all, sounds yummy !!
DawnBev

Post by DawnBev »

the seiving infuses the raspberries into the creme freche and coconut milk etc, or could easily blend

or, you could try the receipy without the seive/blend and compare both!

also, you could try with other berries and fruit toppings, think slices of lemon and lime, or blueberries (it will nearly be time to pick the blackberries at the allotments at the bottom of my house and the bus stop!)

caught the end of a cookery show on TV this morning, someone made a carrot soup with bits of pink grapefruit on top. Now try that and let me know how it is!!?? thanks
:)
DawnBev

Post by DawnBev »

have you tried courgettes/zucchini in cakes (like a carrot cake) its lovely
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Mmmm both sound yummy - can I have both together please? (OK I'm feeling greedy, or maybe more to the point fed up - one of those days!)[/face]
DawnBev wrote:have you tried courgettes/zucchini in cakes (like a carrot cake) its lovely
[face=Comic Sans MS]
I love courgettes in cakes as they help keep in the moisture and add a little something extra to the texture. I posted these recipes a while ago which may be of interest:[/face] viewtopic.php?t=18269
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
redsaffy
Egypt

Post by redsaffy »

have printed both off will be going to the supermarket tonight to by the ingerdiants!!!! :P
Everything Is As It Should Be For Now Any Way!!
Karenh

Post by Karenh »

Sitting here in the cold wet weather now drooling!
A day without laughter is a day wasted
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

I never thought of courgette but I've been thinking of ways to use them so this is a good way :)

You just reminded me.Last time we picked brambles ( blackberries ) in UK just up the road from the house hubby got stung by a wasp and ended up collapsed on the floor of the lounge gasping for air and if the chemist wasn't open for late night prescriptions that night he would have been dead. You've never seen anyone run so fast to the bottom of the street to get adrenaline, and the pharmacy were loathe to give me one without a prescription!!! :x
In the end though after me screaming at them they did :)
Then once I gave it I had my potato knife ready to do a tracheostomy if the ambulance didn't arrive in the next few minutes.
That was one scary day and put him off bramble picking for life.
Had no idea he was allergic to wasp stings :?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Then he better watch out for the Egyptian bees! I recently had what I thought might be an allergic reaction to a drug and my husband gave me a piece of paper with a list of drugs to take written on one side in English and the other in Arabic and told me if I went into anaphylactic shock and he wasn't home to go to the pharmacy and ask for these things. I had to ask him how he expected I would be able to make it to the pharmacy to ask for them myself if I was in that state!

Zucchini cake (usually called zucchini bread) is quite popular in the US. It's a very popular thing to bake at home, often with walnuts in it.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Ebikatsu wrote: Had no idea he was allergic to wasp stings :?
[face=Comic Sans MS]Is it possible he didn't either? I'm guessing that if he'd been stung by a wasp in the past in Egypt that it's possible he may not of had such a severe reaction. I know this happened to a friend of mine who had been stung by UK wasps in the past with no undue reaction, but when he got stung by a wasp somewhere abroad he had a bad allergic reaction, although not as bad as your husbands. Thankfully someone in his group had a good supply of antihistamines and was able to help him out otherwise it may have been worse. [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

That is what she was saying, that he didn't know beforehand.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:That is what she was saying, that he didn't know beforehand.
[face=Comic Sans MS]Glyph, thank you so much for translating it for me. :roll:

As the sentance started with the word 'Had', not prefixed by 'I' or 'He', I read it as 'I had .....' based on my reading of the content and context of the rest of the post.

It's true what they say 'America and England - divided by the same language. [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

He said he had been stung as a child a few times in Egypt and nothing happened, He had no idea he had an allergy.

It took us about 10 mins to walk home after that and when we got to the door he was feeling quite faint. I got him sat down and put ice on it and went to bring in the washing which took about another 5 mins. When I got back inside he was lying on the floor saying the shahada and his chest was covered in Hives. It turned from a painful sting to anaphylactic shock .
His breathing started to get a bit heavy so I called 999 and knowing anti histamine would be no good at that point ran to the bottom of the road leaving him and the door open for the ambulance to go to the chemist to get adrenaline. That took about 10 mins by the time I got back. Flicked the caps off and gave him it through his jeans into his leg, threw him onto his side and ran and got a knife from the drawer and poured my work bag out onto the floor to get a bunch of pens to use as a tube. At that point it was maybe 30 mins from the sting. By then he was unconscious but breathing with difficulty, lips swelling and then the ambulance came running in and connected him up and injected him again with adrenaline and steroids and he came round in the ambulance.

I saying this incase it happens to anyone here.

That first shot of adrenaline saved him I'm sure from me having to do a trachy.
If I'd have given him antihistamine at that low dose and not gone and waited that long for the ambulance I would have been in full resus mode by then. The adrenaline gave me those extra minutes.

If you get stung or think you are having a reaction your best bet is get as fast as poss to a chemist and demand an Epipen and use it straight away. It wont do you any harm, but it can save your life.
I had no money and they let me go back next day to pay as I ran out without thinking, only to get that drug. It was 9 sterling.

Its easy to use.

It comes pre loaded and has 2 yellow caps on it. Just flick both yellow caps off and stab it even through clothes, even without washing first into the thigh or bottom or upper arm. The syringe injects the dose automatically and takes about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds get the person in the recovery position with neck extended back and just hope that ambulance gets there.
If they stop breathing you can resus but you might find like I was finding the mouth swelling up. If that happens just get a small shark knife and a towel and a pen.
If they have stopped breathing and you can't get any air in because of swelling put a cushion under the neck to make the tongue flip backwards and the mouth open. There is a little V in the neck at the collar bones. In that groove put your sharp knife horizontally and make a slash and wipe any blood away. Just a simple 2cm hole no bigger!! as this might hit vessels. Pull out the inside of your pen and push the hard plastic pen tube into the hole and they will let out a gasp of air and start breating. If not and they have arrested blow down the tube sealing it with your hands if any air escapes around it. By that time hopefully the ambulance will have arrived and they will exchange it for a tube and intubate.

God i hope none of you ever have to do it but at least you know how now ;)

If you have a bee or peanut allergy you really need to be carrying adrenaline Epipen :)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

HEPZIBAH wrote:

As the sentance started with the word 'Had', not prefixed by 'I' or 'He', I read it as 'I had .....' based on my reading of the content and context of the rest of the post.

It's true what they say 'America and England - divided by the same language. [/face]
It has nothing to do with American English. It's an Egyptian habit to leave the subject out of sentences in Arabic and I find myself doing it all the time in English as a result! I assume Ebi may have picked up the same bad habit.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Ebi-You sound a lot braver than I would ever be! Prepared to cut your husband's throat open!

But then if you were helping to perform cystoscopies for 5 years, I'm sure you are one tough nurse. ;)
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

:? Gosh! and here was me daftly thinking this topic was about food! :roll:
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Only on L4U can you go from raspberry desserts to sticking cameras up men's penises in such a short time.
Zaydine
Post by Zaydine »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:

It's true what they say'America and England - divided by the same language. [/face]
It has nothing to do with American English. It's an Egyptian habit to leave the subject out of sentences in Arabic and I find myself doing it all the time in English as a result! I assume Ebi may have picked up the same bad habit.
Out of interest only, the police in the UK regard this trait as an indication that a suspect they are interviewing is lying/ making it up. It is apparently a sign that they are not personally owining what they are saying.
Have loving acceptance of all that is.......
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

Zaydine wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote: [face=Comic Sans MS]Glyph, thank you so much for translating it for me. :roll:

It's true what they say'America and England - divided by the same language. [/face]
Out of interest only, the police in the UK regard this trait as an indication that a suspect they are interviewing is lying/ making it up. It is apparently a sign that they are not personally owining what they are saying.
That's scary
:?

I can post a pic if you like of him in the resus room with the O2 mask, IV, and hives :mrgreen: