Slow cooker?

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Slow cooker?

Post by jewel »

We are thinking of investing in one, but not sure which type/size yet, but I think it will be useful so we can just go out walking etc and leave dinner to cook - would also love recipes etc if anyone has any - with or without meat is fine, and also for curries etc :)

Also love to hear of anyones experiences with slow cookers :D

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I love my slow cooker and couldn't imagine ever being without it. I bought a Tower brand one about 25 or so years ago and it's still going strong. I bought one with 3 heat settings and auto and it was also the largest I could find at the time too. It has a ceramic removable pot which makes washing it much eaiser - a friend had one that didn't have a seperate pot and became an electrical nightmare. I do have a 'one person' slow cooker too but I'm afraid it is an unused gift as I don't see the point in cooking in such small quantities, prefering to do a larger batch and then freezing some for future use.

I use it for soups, sauces and casseroles, poaching fruit, and even mulling wine. Although it was expensive at the time, as they had only really just become popular, it has been probably the most cost effective piece of kitchen equipment I have ever bought.

As for recipes, they usually come with a book of basic recipes and once you've had a look at it you'll realise there is nothing to it and just 'do your own thing'. If you want a specificSlow Cooker recipe book you can often find them in the cheaper book stores like The Works or Booksale etc, or of course car boot sales.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

AS Hepzi says slow cookers are invaluable for so many things.
We got our first one in 1987 from my parents household effects and only replaced it in 2007 when the crock pot finally cried enough and cracked.

It was too heavy to bring out to Egypt so we bought a smaller lighter model which we managed to bring out last year and it too has proved ideal. The gas hobs are too fierce for a really low slow simmer so it gets the job done without fuss.I have always cooked my chilli's in the slow cooker for at least 5 hours to mature them. Also a joint of meat can be slow cooked in stock or wine and always ends up tender and tasty.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

I too have a large family sized crock pot (with the removable pot) and the small individual size that my girls gave me. I rarely think of using it. I need to rehink that and get out some recipes.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Thanks for that :) I am looking at the 6.5 litre morphy richards one (with removable ceramic bowl) and now looking forward to getting one , as I think it will save a lot of cooking time, and it seems can be used for many different things- and doing large quantities and freezing sounds great idea .....mulled wine eh? ;)
I think curries should turn out ok as well with the slow cooking time :)
I may even experiment with it :urm: so watch this space
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

jewel wrote: I think curries should turn out ok as well with the slow cooking time :)
I may even experiment with it :urm: so watch this space
[face=Comic Sans MS]Curries will be fine in it. A slow cooker is really just the modern equivalent of the range where dishes were left to slow cook absorbing the heat overnight after main meals had been cooked. It also means that if you are using meat you can also use cheaper cuts which have always produced the best stews, casseroles, hotpots, curries etc.

I have to say that when I am cooking a casserole or bolognaise etc in mine I prefer to start mine off by browning my meat in a pan on the hob which also helps to get rid of any excess fat aswell.

The smaller ones are probably quite useful if you want to make puddings or fondues.

Experimentation really is the key to all things in the kitchen. :)[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley