The Real Marigold Hotel

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Last year the BBC made a short series following a group of 'celebs' of maturing years as they visited and lived in India for a short period, with a view to their future retirement. Tonight saw a the first part of a new series, with a different group of 'celebs' and will be following their reactions to living in Karela (sp?), India. I use the term living loosely as they are all in a house that has a housekeeper and staff, so although they can and sometimes do get involved in certain aspects of looking after themselves they do get 'nannied' quite well too. Nevertheless, it is quite an interesting programme to watch as you see parts of India that we are possibly less familiar with and also a peep into the people behind the make up and how the adapt or fail within the confines of programme.

BBC1 Wednesday 9pm

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: The Real Marigold Hotel

Post by Horus »

I watched the last one with Wayne Sleep, Bobby George, Miriam Margoles and Jan Leeming, interesting to see how these so called celebs actually coped with some adapting quite well, although Jan Leeming was or seemed a very insecure person. I recorded this evenings program and will watch it later, hope its as interesting as the last one was. :up
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Tonight's was quite good but I think next week's will be better as the 'celebs' will be more used to each other.
-Aldous Huxley
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Not just for this programme but for many others like Come Dine With Me, I am so impressed by the skill of the researchers in finding suitable candidates that make an interesting programme.

However, this time we have once more the domineering female and the male charmer. A domineering male would be a nice change

I wasn't going to watch this series as by the time the last one finished my long held admiration for Miriam Margoles had dissolved into distaste for her inverted snobbery and lack of consideration for others.

Last night I turned on the television just after the programme started and caught sight of a face that looked vaguely familiar in a very nice way. It took some time to find out that it was Paul Nicholas, a favourite of mine from many years ago, almost unrecognisable except for his smile.

I could not think who the "ingénue" was among these older people - it kept me watching as I tried to guess. I'm not saying who it was in case you want to guess Horus, but she looks younger now than she did 25years ago.

I thought last night's programme was better than last year's and I have set record for the series in case I miss it.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I am now intrigued to watch it MD :up
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm afraid many of the Reality TV programmes leave me cold, including Come Dine With Me which these days seems to be more about the unrealistic entertainment the hosts provide than their kitchen and dining room skills.

The Real Marigold Hotel series thankfully is not too long, although in some respects I would prefer it longer so that we could get a better idea of how the 'celebs ' react and adapt (or not) in real time. As it's supposed to be about potential retirement I think it would be good to have a series where some at least have their partners with them.

It also took me a while to get used to seeing the ever youthful Paul Nicholas. When did he get old?
-Aldous Huxley
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I watched Come Dine with me a few times, but the interest soon waned. Clever idea though. I watched I think one series of BB right at the beginning. In general I avoid "reality" shows as they seldom are. ;)

Absolutely agree with you about follow up on the Marigold series and involving partners.

Paul Nicholas looked the same, sounded the same and flirted the same for far more years than ordinary chaps. Funnily enough only the looks have changed, the flirty manner is never offensive. He really smiles, not leers. :up
Smile! It confuses people
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Grandma's Party... ! We had a late one for her last night oddly enough... It was her first birthday.... :up