Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry dies

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry dies

Post by Bombay »

Jimmy Perry, creator of one of TV's most popular comedy series, Dad's Army, has died aged 93.
Working with producer David Croft, he was also responsible for It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-de-Hi and You Rang M'Lord?
He drew on his life experiences for his writing, as a young member of the Home Guard during World War Two and as a Butlin's holiday camp Redcoat.
Dad's Army ran from 1968 for 80 episodes over nine years while Hi-de-Hi ran for eight years.
Perry was born on 20 Sep 1923 in Barnes, south-west London.
He was too young to join the army when World War Two broke out in 1939, so instead joined his local home guard.
He later based many of the characters for the sitcom on the soldiers he met at that time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37743674

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry dies

Post by Horus »

Probably one of them was my Dad ;) he was in the 'Home Guard' or Local Defence Voluteers as they were known, usually called the LDV which he insisted stood for " Look, Duck & Vanish :lol:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:Probably one of them was my Dad ;) he was in the 'Home Guard' or Local Defence Voluteers as they were known, usually called the LDV which he insisted stood for " Look, Duck & Vanish :lol:
They were initially know as LDV Local Defence Volunteers but this was changed to Home Guard quite quickly, probably a shortage of letters during the war.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

They once apprehended a downed German pilot :up
Well actually he was a Polish pilot who had bailed out :lol: but then again he was never any good with foreign languages :D