ITV - Tutankamun

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: ITV - Tutankamun

Post by Horus »

Knowing my interest in Egypt I had a friend text me to ask if I was watching the programme. When I said I had recorded it and would watch it later they said “Oh in that case I wont spoil the plot” “I already know the plot” I replied and really that about sums it up. It will be just another version of a well known story of events unless someone tries to spice it up, so we have Flinders Petrie standing stark naked and covered in bat crap whilst chatting to Carter about the Amarna period. No doubt at a later date we will see Howard Carter having a romp with Lady Evelyn Herbert in his cave. However as many have said Sam Neil is a fine actor and always worth watching so I shall continue to record the series to watch at my leisure on a dark October evening.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Being a history buff is a real bummer when it comes to watching any films purporting to cover actual events. No matter how good the dialogue, the filming etc. etc. the occasional "historical error" stabs you in the ribs just as you're getting into it.

I cannot honestly recall any period drama I've ever watched which didn't murder the historical narrative to some extent. It's as if they can't resist it....or as if they know I'm watching and do it deliberately to irritate me :dv

I've watched numerous films on the story of Mary Queen of Scots and, from memory, they all include at least one dramatic encounter between Mary and her cousin Elizabeth I.....despite the fact the two never met!

I gather the present Earl is rather miffed about the slur on his great aunt's reputation (in those days, any overt familiarity, let alone impropriety, between two characters from such different social strata would have raised eyebrows) but I suppose the idea of sexing up the story proved irresistible to the film makers. A pity....as there's plenty of drama in the story without inventing it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I know what you mean, its the same when they shoot films set in Egypt, one minute some guy is wandering around the Pyramids and the next they are jumping off a pylon in Karnak temple, the continuity between the various sites can drive you mad especially if you know what you are looking at. I remember one version of Death on the Nile where Poirot walks out into the back garden of the Winter Palace and chats to the love lorn lady as they gaze out over the river, my wife was always saying to me “It’s only a film” as I would mutter about some blatant error or other. :lol: So as you rightly say the more you know about a particular subject then the more critical you will be about it especially if it distorts history, a classic case in question is the film Brave Heart, a well made and enjoyable film, but like most Hollywood productions it was historical garbage. :st
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I must admit a couple of actors in the BBC series taught me quite a lot as one a Frenchman had lived in Cairo all his life.
The other an english actor who had studied up on his character and gave me a book on mine Arthur Weigall 'A Passion for Egypt..great fun, I learnt a lot...8)
Ps: The director Ferdi wouldn't let me utter one word, when I did he had to reshoot....'the sod.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

I understand the ITV program is not good.

IMO this is still the best program about Tutankhamun.

The Face of Tutankhamun, Christopher Frayling
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

SN Great in Peaky Blinders.
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

I know what you mean about locations Horus after watching Death on the Nile many times I was surprised to find that the pyramids of Giza are not exactly right next to the valley of the Kings and in fact hundreds of miles away, it came as a bit if a shock to say the least :o
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The location comments above just help me understand how so many people expect to be able to swim with dolphins in Luxor! :roll:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

With apologies to denisegr, I hadn't remembered that she had started a thread in advance of the Tutankhamun programme starting.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37698
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Or walk along the avenue of the Sphinx from Karnak temple to the pyramids.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:Being a history buff is a real bummer when it comes to watching any films purporting to cover actual events. No matter how good the dialogue, the filming etc. etc. the occasional "historical error" stabs you in the ribs just as you're getting into it.

I cannot honestly recall any period drama I've ever watched which didn't murder the historical narrative to some extent. It's as if they can't resist it....or as if they know I'm watching and do it deliberately to irritate me :dv

I've watched numerous films on the story of Mary Queen of Scots and, from memory, they all include at least one dramatic encounter between Mary and her cousin Elizabeth I.....despite the fact the two never met!

I gather the present Earl is rather miffed about the slur on his great aunt's reputation (in those days, any overt familiarity, let alone impropriety, between two characters from such different social strata would have raised eyebrows) but I suppose the idea of sexing up the story proved irresistible to the film makers. A pity....as there's plenty of drama in the story without inventing it.
Or perhaps its because the ''real historical story'' would be just to boring. All these productions are reliant on viewing figures and adverts to get the dosh in. If you want the near true actual facts you are better sticking to factual documentaries which I personally find far more interesting to watch. And just how many dramas can we watch about old King Tut?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

No problem Hepzi
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm told by my friend that does my downloads that The Life of Howard Carter is about to start/ or has done, on UK TV. No doubt it will contain yet more on Tut.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Dusak wrote:I'm told by my friend that does my downloads that The Life of Howard Carter is about to start/ or has done, on UK TV. No doubt it will contain yet more on Tut.
Its the same program
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bombay wrote:
Dusak wrote:I'm told by my friend that does my downloads that The Life of Howard Carter is about to start/ or has done, on UK TV. No doubt it will contain yet more on Tut.
Its the same program
In that case. why was it not stated as such instead of making me look a right knob. :cry:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Bombay wrote:
Its the same program
In that case. why was it not stated as such instead of making me look a right knob. :cry:
Maybe you have only yourself to blame D.

Was there a programme called "The Life of Howard Carter"? I don't think so....nor has there ever been. Maybe your friend concocted this "title" bearing in mind that the movie is, to some extent, about the life of Howard Carter.

Sounds like a case of mistaken identity :sl:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Does the ITV series have NZ actor Sam Neill? If so, it is about to air here 2nd November; just started advertising on SBS, for those here wanting to know.
Carpe diem! :le:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Winged Isis wrote:Does the ITV series have NZ actor Sam Neill? If so, it is about to air here 2nd November; just started advertising on SBS, for those here wanting to know.
Yes, Sam Neil plays the part of Lord Canarvon and he looks the part too :up
But he was born in Northern Ireland ;)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Part 2 about to start. I'll give another try but hope it improves on last week.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Wasted my time. It really doesn't have that something to keep the viewing attention - well my viewing attention anyway.
-Aldous Huxley