ITV - Tutankamun

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

ITV - Tutankamun

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Tonight at 9pm on ITV a new series (4 parts I think) starts - Tutankhamun. I've only seen brief trailers for this, and also a snippet comment on line, but it looks as though certain aspects of the story of the discovery, or rather the discoverers, has been somewhat over romanced (for want of better words). I enjoy period dramas so will give it a go, keeping my big bag of salt close, and see how it develops.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: ITV - Tutankamun

Post by Horus »

Will be watching it myself Hepzi, we can compare notes :up
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Well the info on TVguide is wrong - it says the tomb was discovered in 1905.

"New series. Drama about the discovery of the Egyptian Pharaoh's tomb in 1905. Archaeologist Howard Carter is recruited by aristocrat and amateur Egyptologist Lord Carnarvon to explore the Valley of the Kings, and discovers evidence of the boy-king's final resting place. However, his expedition is threatened by global events and his own impulsive nature. Starring Max Irons and Sam Neill"
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

Waiting in anticipation
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I suppose it will be interesting to see what gloss they put on reality.

I remember when they first opened up Carter House on The WB, and Jane A was asking on here as to whether any one knew how his bed at that time would have been made up,........hysterical.

I wrote up a history of this house on here, and as to why it was built in the position we see it today. The program is brought to us by ITV so historical values may go out of the window, along with such characters as J.P.Morgan, etc., the old Oriental House, and many other secrets, however, mi thinks Mickey Mouse may be at work in this series,...........we shall see :wi .
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think with all these types of programmes, we have to remember that they are dramas and make no claim to be historical documentaries. That shouldn't be an excuse for distorting or getting basic facts completely wrong, but it does give the makers freedom to be more creative with events .

Anyway it is starting now and Carter is at the door, so I'll just sit back and let the drama unfold before my eyes.
Hmm... well at a door anyway.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

O.K., they have just put the adverts on, so let me just say Oriental House is almost just as it was, and yes Theodore Davis looked just like that, if later they show his feet, he always wore high leather boots, no matter where.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Carter here actually mentions the fact that he had a home on the WB, long before the discovery of Tut, this is true , it was just behind Nharkt Tomb, this is the first time I have ever known this to be mentioned in such TV dramas. Only problem with this one is where is Carter very strong Norfolk accent.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Another advert session, has any one noticed a WB location yet, I have not, old Oriental House is a brilliant model building, though seeing it lite up that way reminds me of the really old day, and although it was the Polish in modern time who have brought it back to life, I have to be grateful to them.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Well, not exactly an unmissable drama, but I'll give it another viewing next week - if I remember!
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Well, not exactly an unmissable drama, but I'll give it another viewing next week - if I remember!
Hold on Hepzibah, I am no friend of these such dramas but, so far so good, no mention of J.P.Morgan, and little of the Met in New York, however the appearance of 'god' in the form of Petrie is quite brilliant, though in reality he did not live in a tent on the WB, but in one of the old grain stores attached to The Ramassium. It was here that gossip in the old Oriental House, that little Dr Margaret Murry was have it off with Petrie. Some how a message got back to Hilda his wife, she came out to Egypt and never left him alone ever again, even when they cleared off to Palestine, though Margaret, his secretary, remained in the back ground. Margaret Drower's book on his life is most revealing.

Back to Carter, as you probably noted from the drama, Carter stays on in Cairo, works for British Secret Service, a disaster, so quickly returns to Luxor long before the Great War ends, interesting to see if this gets mentioned in the next episode.
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

I quite enjoyed it loving all things Egyptian, but why did it have to be made in SA? Egypt not authentic Enough?
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Lets face it, this programme is just a drama series and should be enjoyed as such, if we start looking for complete historical accuracy like you get in say a PBS documentary you will be disappointed, otherwise not bad entertainment. :up
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

denisegr wrote: but why did it have to be made in SA? Egypt not authentic Enough?

Well, the thing is Denisegr, anything that is filmed for the international market these days, is charged a fortune by the Egyptian government, then if there is a speaking part by an international actor he or she has to be a member of the Egyptian version of Equity and the cost is truly outrageous, so I can understand why, sad to say, it was not made in Egypt.

P.S. - Nice to see you back on here, but you will have probably noticed things have changed, some of us are hanging on, but alas the old late night line up have gone, we are left with the happy fully informed day group, Though usually all tucked up in bed by 6-30p,m. :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The only things that have changed is that A4 keeps up a constant fantasy that things have changed. :st
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:The only things that have changed is that A4 keeps up a constant fantasy that things have changed. :st
Well, I shall leave it to Deniseka to work out :wi :wi :wi :wi ..
Last edited by A-Four on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

For anyone who hasn't read it, there was an interesting article in Radio Times about the filming....

ITV's new period drama might look the part, but it wasn't filmed anywhere near Egypt. It was all shot at the other end of the continent in South Africa.
“We recreated the Valley of the Kings in a quarry in the desert region in the north of the country, close to the border with Namibia,” explains executive producer Francis Hopkinson.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-10- ... uth-africa
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I didnt think it was very good at all apart from Sam Neill as Lord Carnarvon. He's the only reason I will be watching again next week. He's one of those men that still look great the older they get. I first fell in love with him (or rather his character Sidney Reilly) 33 yrs ago in Reilly Ace of Spies, a much better drama series than this one.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Have to agree with you hatusu. Sam Neil took the eye candy trophy for me too, not that there was much choice.
Sadly, if that's what kept my attention the rest of the drama wasn't up to standard.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:I didnt think it was very good at all apart from Sam Neill as Lord Carnarvon. He's the only reason I will be watching again next week. He's one of those men that still look great the older they get. I first fell in love with him (or rather his character Sidney Reilly) 33 yrs ago in Reilly Ace of Spies, a much better drama series than this one.
One of those actors who seem "ageless".

I think I first saw him in Omen III back in 1981.

A very nice guy by all accounts.