Snake Dance

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Snake Dance

Post by BENNU »

In 1996, I was lucky enough to spend a week learning from a living legend. The great Gulabi Sapera from the nomadic tribe of snake charmers, Kalbelia in Rajasthan, gave dance classes to live music, right here in Copenhagen.

The last couple of days, I have recognised the songs, steps and not least the feeling of a tired body and strong fingers, having imitated the movements of the cobra with a small privileged group of enthusiast, dancing with the master and her family again.

Last week, I came back from Luxor to five days of dancing Egyptian Balady for hours each day and now this.
:bd2:

phpBB [video]

:bd: I already miss Luxor badly, but I cannot complain. :bd:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Snake Dance

Post by BENNU »

When the Romany people came to Europe, they were mistaken for Egyptians = "Gipsies", in French: Egyptienne = "Gitane". The Romany are of North Indian origin, and the Kalbelia tribe are considered the authentic "Gipsies".
:dance4:

To someone familiar with North African, Middle Eastern, Spanish Arabic dance and Eastern European character (Roma) dance, it is clear that there has been mutual influence where people have wandered and it is interesting and very inspiring to learn from global dancers. Under the cultural surface, we are all the same.. :ks

phpBB [video]

:rs

Tomorrow is the last dance with Gulabi and her relatives before they return to their tribe. After singing and dancing the wonderful movements, we will have a barbeque and party in the warm Danish summer night and dream of joining her on the journey to Rajasthan.