JRR Tolkien

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

JRR Tolkien

Post by Bullet Magnet »

What a genius, he created entire worlds in his books, and went into great detail about everything this world his brilliant mind had invented.
It still requires the reader or observer to colour in the words.

Quite obviously his works influenced some of the greatest music my (Lucky, re) generation could GROW up with to listen to.

I was first made aware of the group STYX, by a brief aquantence with someone in College, who did me the great kindness of lending me the Album.
The greatest gifts are given by those who ask for nothing in return..
I was pretty skint in those day's, so would never have had exposure to the album had those circumstances not unfolded, as STYX were not really mainsteam entertinment, so the radio would not have emitted that alluring sound to my ears.

This is one of Many of those songs that were inspired by Tolkien, you cant really get more obvious than that really.. :cg

[youtube][/youtube]

Then, we move on to Led Zepplin, one of my favourite band's by who's music I measure my own evolution..
Again, the Tolkien influnce is strong with this one. ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

You could take that song back in time to the dawn of the stringed instrument and play it, sing it and drift away into another world..
possibly the future you came from ? where in the bigger picture of things, little has changed..

The piper is calling, the message drifts on the whispering wind. :cg

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: JRR Tolkien

Post by Kevininabydos »

Tolkien's own songs weren't half bad either.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I would have posted them to watch/listen to here but trying to remember what to cut out of the code is a pain in the butt! Please sort out the posting of video so it can be done easily Keefy. :urm:

DJKeefy Edit: fixed them Kevin. Im still working on fixing the youtube code.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I didn't even think to see if they had been recorded anywhere ! Thanks a lot Kevin :wi

I love those old recordings. Wow !!

Kevininabydos wrote:......

I would have posted them to watch/listen to here but trying to remember what to cut out of the code is a pain in the butt! Please sort out the posting of video so it can be done easily Keefy. :urm:

Keefy gave an explanation in the Doctor's topic here Kev '

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29446

HOWEVER, he didn't mention "Play lists" and your FIRST item was a playlist.
The other two posts you kindly presented would have worked using Keefys code..

Cheers.

:br
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

Well I never had Tolkien as a Musician.
I have a limited edition print of The death of Boromir. Kate Bush owns 1/250 and I have number 2/250. To be honest it is wasted on me as I don't like lord of the Rings so it's home is in the cubby hole! :oops:
http://www.paulraymondgregory.com/
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I love that kind of Art, the Myth and Magic genre JOJO.
I collected many of those figurines made from Pewter back in the 80's. Still have them somewhere. :cg
Personally I prefer the more tranquil scene's rather that the battles and fighting. I see too much of that around me, here.
I recently fell in love with Margaret McDonald's Work and that of her Sister Frances. You will see where Charles Rennie Mackintosh got much of his inspiration from ;)

I was heartbroken when I left the Dales at the age of 8. When we moved up here to Wales, my mother commented on how similar our area was to the Dales. She was right, only it's better here ! Especially for the last 4 days. Sunshine and Blue skys.

Great thing is about Living where I do, is that I can visit places that could well have inspired Tolkien to write his books. :cool: