Secrets of Egypt's Valley of the Kings

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

FarleyFlavors

Secrets of Egypt's Valley of the Kings

Post by FarleyFlavors »

...a new four-part documentary series starting on Channel Four this Sunday (24th March) at 2000.

The first part is (rather predictably) mostly about Tutankhamun, but apparently a future episode features the recent discoveries at Gebel el Silsila.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Secrets of Egypt's Valley of the Kings

Post by A-Four »

I'm sure like most of us, we have seen all these sort of programs before. There are few new secrets in the Kings Valley that are available to Joe public, there are a couple that may come out, one should certainly refer to K.V.20, which was, as the modern word that is now being used,......ADAPTED, well to what ? That is the question, Abdul Rassul certainly looked deep in the depths of this deep tomb, not so much for treasure, but for something quite different, he unfortunately did not discover it.

As with regards to REAL secrets, I believe they must look towards the Western Valley, as the likes of John Romer, first pointed out in the early 1980's, though since, I am pleased to say, are even more secret than they ever were, even then.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Was drinking up at Shiek Ali's the other day chatting wiz zee German,
inwalked Zahi (no hat) a young blond enthusiastic dig-slut in tow. Talking loudly on his cell.
All tables were laid up for lunch, he demanded the central table.
My mate Klaus f*****hates him as I do, we joke about it a lot.
He doesn't remember me with our past two run ins, but he remembers Klaus's.
Then his acolytes arrived, all young all nationalities, all eager to hear the 'great man por forth his diatribe.
F***** prat without the Hat.... 8)
Ps: 'end of rant!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:I'm sure like most of us, we have seen all these sort of programs before. There are few new secrets in the Kings Valley that are available to Joe public, there are a couple that may come out, one should certainly refer to K.V.20, which was, as the modern word that is now being used,......ADAPTED, well to what ? That is the question, Abdul Rassul certainly looked deep in the depths of this deep tomb, not so much for treasure, but for something quite different, he unfortunately did not discover it.

As with regards to REAL secrets, I believe they must look towards the Western Valley, as the likes of John Romer, first pointed out in the early 1980's, though since, I am pleased to say, are even more secret than they ever were, even then.
I had no idea the Abdul Rassuls had been digging in KV 20.

You live and learn. Any references/links?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There was a TV progamme some years back when he was involved in clearing the rubble filled shaft of (I think) this particular tomb. Previous attempts had been made way back but with little success, they were specualting that it may have contained an Osiris type burial chamber located below the actual tomb and that would have been the real resting place of the pharaoh. I may be referring to something completly different, but in any event even though they excavated a lot deeper nothing was discovered.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yes, you are correct Horus, and for certain, you did not get your info from the Internet. However, what I have stated above is part of the so called secrets, along with others that are in the Western Valley, that I feel sure will certainly not be part of this future television program.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Secrets of Egypt's Valley of the Kingsn

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:Was drinking up at Shiek Ali's the other day chatting wiz zee German,
inwalked Zahi (no hat) a young blond enthusiastic dig-slut in tow. Talking loudly on his cell.
All tables were laid up for lunch, he demanded the central table.
My mate Klaus f*****hates him as I do, we joke about it a lot.
He doesn't remember me with our past two run ins, but he remembers Klaus's.
Then his acolytes arrived, all young all nationalities, all eager to hear the 'great man por forth his diatribe.
F***** prat without the Hat.... 8)
Ps: 'end of rant!
Not sure yet dear Dr, but this is part of the Discovery T.V. program, that you know who is grabbing money from, a dear old friend in the Upper Egyptian Inspectorate Office informs me that they have 'found' a wonderful 'unique' 18th Dynasty vase in the K.V.

For God's sake.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:There was a TV progamme some years back when he was involved in clearing the rubble filled shaft of (I think) this particular tomb. Previous attempts had been made way back but with little success, they were specualting that it may have contained an Osiris type burial chamber located below the actual tomb and that would have been the real resting place of the pharaoh. I may be referring to something completly different, but in any event even though they excavated a lot deeper nothing was discovered.
I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of KV17 - SETI I

The Abdul Rassuls had quite a go in 1961 and even convinced Hawass there was some thing to be found in the depths of the long tunnel which extends under and beyond the burial chamber. Both drew a blank - but according to John Romer may have done considerable damage to the integrity of this and nearby tombs.

kV 20 was originally discovered be Belzoni (although known to Napoleon’sexpedition) and later excavated by Burton and finally Carter. I can find no mention of anyone else, nor the Abdul Rassuls, being involved.

Still if it’s all a big secret....... :lol: ;)
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Horus wrote:There was a TV progamme some years back when he was involved in clearing the rubble filled shaft of (I think) this particular tomb.
A-Four wrote:Yes, you are correct Horus
Please don't encourage him, Horus :lol:

As Newcastle says, the tomb in question was almost certainly Seti's.
A-Four wrote:for certain, you did not get your info from the Internet.
Horus got the information from a television programme. Why are you certain said information can't be found on the internet?
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Not sure yet dear Dr, but this is part of the Discovery T.V. program, that you know who is grabbing money from, a dear old friend in the Upper Egyptian Inspectorate Office informs me that they have 'found' a wonderful 'unique' 18th Dynasty vase in the K.V.

For God's sake.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw that vase about 7 years ago "newly discovered then"

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As I said in my post I was not sure if it was this particular tomb or not and on reflection I think you may be correct in it being KV17 I just recalled it having some involvment by the Rassuls in excavating a rubble filled tunnel.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:As I said in my post I was not sure if it was this particular tomb or not and on reflection I think you may be correct in it being KV17 I just recalled it having some involvment by the Rassuls in excavating a rubble filled tunnel.
You are correct Horus, KV 17, was the LAST tomb that Sheikh Ali 'investigated', at great cost to himself, he became obsessed, it was finely his workers who downed tools, the conditions became dreadful.

Much of Sheikh Ali's fortune was lost in this cruel exercise, it changed the man, and also, it is said much of the respect and love of his family. Towards the end of his life, he would sit each day in a cafe run by a very old friend of mine called Sheikh Mahmoud, (who died quite recently). There he would entertain tourists who would come to see him,.........and he claimed commission on everything they bought,..........a sad ending of a wonderful man.

No, this is no secret, all this is well known, and for those on here who still live on the WB, simply check.

What is secret is the inner knowledge of the tombs KV 20 and it's very near neighbour KV 19, being the opulent tomb of Prince Mentuhurkhepshef son of Ram IX, that of course was never used,...........all I am wondering is perhaps this is one of the secrets we are to learn all about, the only others, from what I understand are in the Western Valley.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BBLUX wrote:

For God's sake.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw that vase about 7 years ago "newly discovered then"
Thank you for your comment here BBLUX, I did read it earlier this evening before I went out, though was thinking about what you wrote, you perhaps remember when you know who dug up, at great expense, the whole of the Central Valley of the Kings, as he dug up around the corner towards Merenptah, he actually put on open display a few vases, that had obviously be glued together with the same resin used in the Tut nose job carried out years later.

The shame of this man really has no limits, most of the old senior members of international Egyptology still remain silent, but like so many Egyptians who held power, they never know when they have made enough money,........they still want more.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

The one I referred to was found in the Western Valley (Monkeys) but by the same egotist. That is where I saw it sitting fresh from being glued together!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:

What is secret is the inner knowledge of the tombs KV 20 Oh do tell! We love secrets.....any clues?and it's very near neighbour KV 19, being the opulent tomb of Prince Mentuhurkhepshef son of Ram IX, that of course was never used,.......yes it was....for the burial of Montuherkhepshef! (Though the tomb may have been intended for Ramesses VIII.
minimeben

Post by minimeben »

Thanks Newcastle, just seen this advertised and was going to share it, but you got there before me!

Me & the wife will be watching and taking notes ready for our 1st visit next year.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Just in case you are interested.
There is also a very similar programme from National Graphic currently being shown called
The lost treasures of Egypt. It is up to episode 5 just now.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Just caught up on the first program of this series.

The only new thing I've have learnt, even though I've not been in Egypt for years, is that the one thing out of the whole collection of some 5,000 items that came out of Tutankhamoun's tomb that was allowed to remain at Luxor Museum, has been carted off to Cairo.

The item in question was on the right hand side as you entered Luxor Museum. and of course it was the famous Hathor head, that held a secret, that if looked at carefully could be seen quite clearly.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I am sure that there were some other objects of Tuts in the Luxor museum, a bed, some arrows and spears to name a few. As to the Hathor head, it was always one of my favourites, I must have missed the secret, the only odd thing to me was the black paint dripping all over the guilding of the ears, obviously a rush job of a tomb filler.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote: I must have missed the secret, the only odd thing to me was the black paint dripping all over the guilding of the ears, obviously a rush job of a tomb filler.
Here's me thinking that only I ever walked around that item, to notice that fact,.........well, it seemed to me, that was the only possible secret in that program.

It appears next weeks program is about Hatchepsuit,........who knows perhaps K.V. 19 and 20 might be brought to our attention.