Windows 10

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Windows 10

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I keep getting 'hints' appear on my computers to change to Windows 10 - free upgrade. Has anyone done this, and if so what is your experience? What are the pro's and con's for making the change?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: Windows 10

Post by Mad Dilys »

There's been a very informative dialogue on Egypt4U. Looks good, but I haven't been offered it yet. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you. I'll take a look later.
-Aldous Huxley
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Dont do it.. !!! :stp Its still in Beta stage, (Official release date is July 29th 2015 ) and you will loose your Windows 8 or Windows 7 licence and can never go back to Windows 7 or 8 if you don't like Windows 10.
Don't forget Windows 8 and Windows 10 is designed for a touch screen system. personally I don't like it, as it too simplified now, like Apple Stuff.

My advice to anyone "Upgrading" their Windows versions, wait at least until the first service pack becomes available.

We have a few Windows 10 issues here in my work, ( I still have the Installation CD sitting on my desk, gathering dust ) and the guys running it are IT professionals who are now deeply regretting going to Windows 10.

In about 2 - 3 years time, it will be essential for Windows 7 users and possibly Windows 8 users to migrate to Windows 10, due to compatibility issues as these products go out of date, by design.. BUT, by then Windows 10 "should" be stable.

I have just built a new computer using all the latest technology and gone to INTEL this time. But I loaded my Windows 7 Professional back onto the system. :wi
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you Bullet Magnet. I knew I could rely on you for expert advice. You have confirmed my gut instinct too. A friend and I were chatting about it yesterday and commented that it seems odd that it's being introduced by these little 'hints' on the existing programme and yet there seems to have been no advertising or pomp about it.

To be honest, my office computer isn't supported any more because it's pre Windows 7 (gah, forgotten what it's called) - but as it's all still functioning fine and doing what I require, I'm not too worried. I dare say if I tried Windows 10 on it the change would be too much and it would just sigh and disintegrate before my eyes.

My laptop is Windows 7 and again, I'm more than happy with it. It does what I need, and more.

As someone who is hesitant about changes, I'll happily stick with what I've got for now. :)
-Aldous Huxley
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Interesting facts on the current market Share of operating systems found on computers:
As of May 2015:

Source:http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0

Market Share of Windows 7 Windows 7: 57.76%
Market Share of Windows XP Windows XP: 14.60%
Market Share of Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1: 12.88%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10: 4.20%
Market Share of Windows 8 Windows 8: 3.57%
Market Share of Windows Vista Windows Vista: 2.01%
Market Share of Linux Linux: 1.57%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9: 1.47%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6: 0.60%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.7 Mac OS X 10.7: 0.47%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.8 Mac OS X 10.8: 0.45%
Market Share of Windows 10 Windows 10 : 0.13%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5: 0.11%
Market Share of Windows NT Windows NT: 0.10%
Market Share of Mac OS X 10.4 Mac OS X 10.4: 0.03%
Market Share of Windows 2000 Windows 2000: 0.01%
Market Share of Mac OS X (no version reported) Mac OS X (no version reported): 0.01%
Market Share of Windows 95 Windows 95 : 0.00%
Market Share of Mac OS X 1092 Mac OS X 1092: 0.00%
Wills
United Kingdom

Post by Wills »

Oh I have subscribed to it for 29th July and they will sent an email on downloading it, do you recommeded I don't do this BB?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

For Now, leave it well alone Wills. Our guys have found lots of problems, and there has been no update recently, so I cant see how they can possibly release a stable Operating System on July 29th while the current bugs exist.

Getting used to the Windows 8 / Windows 10 interface is a challenge in itself, If you are only using Windows for Web browsing and simple tasks, Windows 10 should be OK to use, and assuming you have a fairly new PC or Laptop ( less than 4 years old ) and you like the Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 interface.

There was talk about Microsoft giving this Operating system out for free, but then it turned out that you had to sacrifice your old licence as previously mentioned, and you cant go back.
In the past, all the Microsoft fans could not wait to get their hands on the latest operating system. But These figures speak for themselves, when you consider how many people have revoked their Windows 8 licences and "downgraded" ? to Windows 7 when purchasing a new PC..

Market Share of Windows 7 57.76%
Market Share of Windows XP 14.60%
Market Share of Windows 8.1 12.88%
Market Share of Windows 8 3.57%

Windows 8.1 is more popular than Windows 8, because they put the START button back in, but it still fails to attract much interest.

As you can see, the Die hard XP fans are on par with both Windows 8 Distro's combined.
Windows 8 has been around since 2012, and barely picked up a significant share of the market in all that time,
which would have been unthinkable back in the times of the Windows XP and Windows 7 releases, which were both market leaders within a few weeks of their release. Infact, I think Windows XP was market leader based on advance orders before the release date. :up
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I run Windows 8.1 on my desktop, but 7 on my notepad. A will move the desktop to 10 when it comes out, as I need to check possible compatibility issues with my scanners. I still have everything necessary to go back to DOS 3.1, but not many web sites still support it!
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

You will have 12 months from the release date (29th July) to exercise the option for the free upgrade. Definitely best to wait as long as possible for the bugs to be patched with a full service pack as BM has advised.
Fablux has Windows 8.1 and frankly I hate it. Much prefer my Windows 7.
Another serious point with the free upgrade, you will only get the Home premium version which has forced automatic updates. No option to select when or what you take. That is a big no no for anyone on a limited internet or using a quick free wifi to catch up on emails or something. Getting bombed with a 150Mb update is a real issue.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I too have reserved my windows 10 and had an email to say it is not available till the end of July, will wait and see before I do anything, Bullet Magnet as our professional on the site can you please keep us informed if and when you think it is OK to update it.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Tonight, against my wishes 10 took over my laptop. I had IE and Chrome open on Windows 7 and suddenly they both closed and I had no control of the mouse. Thankfully I wasn't working on anything at the time. I tried to close my laptop but I couldn't - it just started loading 10. It then became a case of sign the user agreement or...except there was no 'or' alternative. I think I can see most of my Chrome stuff but I seem to have lost IE and the favourites I had stored there.
Has anyone experienced this? Have you had any problems with 10?. Techy friends, do you still say avoid?
Bullet Magnet??? You are missed. Not just because of this, but this highlights your absence for me.

-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I heard a programme about this Hepzibah the other day, can't remember all the details but apparently you can "undo" the Windows 10. Wish Bullet Magnet would post again, like you say not only for this but I used to enjoy his travelogues.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have Windows 10 and with the exception of a few teeny differences it is way ok and actually gives you more options behind the scenes than the older programs. It brought over all my favourites, photos - well everything without a hitch or a glitch. It probably has been going on a year now that the Cyber Powers that Be have said we all need to change. It was more fear of the unknown than anything else and I did prudently wait a few months 'til the initial rush was over but once I downloaded it it has been a positive experience.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Someone made me aware a week or.so ago that those with a Windows 10 reservation were finding it downloading automatically. I had decided not to update so went in and cancelled it! I'm just hoping I've done enough to stop it. :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have ignored or refused all the hints and invitations to use Windows 10 but last night, even though I had again said NO, it automatically did it a little while later.
Following a whinge by me, I discover the same happened to a friend a few days ago. She is also as pleased as I am about this! :roll:

Good luck to others. I fear no matter what you have done to prevent Windows 10 upgrade, you are still going to get it, like it or not!
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Hepzi you can revert back to your old system, but you must act quickly ie. within 30 days
This link should help: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how- ... 10-upgrade
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

You have to be so careful with this W10, I have three icons on my computer, none of which I can remove manually, the slightest accidental nudge will activate the download. As has been mentioned, you are supposed to get a month to make your mind up, if not wanted, you can revert back. My annoyance with this is, if you can revert back by choice, why can you not totally ignore it all together and stay as you are. I hate being forced into something that does not interest me.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Received the messages, then luckily found my comp needs a graphics card to accept windows 10. So I am free to keep my XP and play my dvd games. There is a comp+screen in one, in Radio Popular that you can change to any windows (HAD A DEMO) I shall be buying it when I get 1499 euros to spare. :D
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:Hepzi you can revert back to your old system, but you must act quickly ie. within 30 days
This link should help: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how- ... 10-upgrade
Phew! Thanks Horus. I'll give it a try for a little while and see if I can get to grips with it. Just wish it had happened to the office computer and not my personal laptop.
-Aldous Huxley