Irish man dies after suddenly becoming unwell in Egypt.

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Irish man dies after suddenly becoming unwell in Egypt.

Post by DJKeefy »

An Irish diving enthusiast has died while out in Egypt after suddenly becoming unwell.

Martin ‘Murt’ Flynn, from Tullow, Co. Carlow, was part of a diving expedition which traveled out to Sharm El Sheikh with the Kilkenny Sub Aqua Club during the week.
martinmurtflynn.jpg
His family-run Flynn’s Foodhall and service station in Tullow took to their Facebook page last night to announce his sudden passing.

They said the 45-year-old had been having “the time of his life” on the trip when he suddenly took ill.

“We thank everyone for their kind words and prayers over the last few days. May Murt Rest in Peace. Ray.”

It is understood from sources involved with the Club that Mr Flynn may have died as a result of some type of an insect bite.

In a statement, the Club said: “Kilkenny Sub Aqua club are devastated by the loss of their friend and club-mate Martin Flynn on a club holiday to Egypt.

“Our sympathies and condolences go to his family and friends. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam”.

Hundreds of people took the Flynn’s Facebook page to express their shock at the news.

One friend posted: “I'm sitting here in new York only after hearing the tragic news of Murt Flynn’s passing. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Only spoke on Friday last about his up coming holiday, and mine, only goes to show tomorrow is never promised. RIP Murt.”

Another added: “Murt was a gentleman who had a heart of gold. He was a good guy and always had a smile for everyone and made sure to have a little chat too.”

Efforts are being made to have Mr Flynn’s remains released by authorities in Egypt to relatives. Funeral arrangements are due to announced in the coming days.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has an Embassy in Cairo and an official based in Dublin said: “The Department stands ready to provide Consular assistance if requested.”

Source: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 56733.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Irish man dies after suddenly becoming unwell in Egypt.

Post by DJKeefy »

I've never known in modern times anyone die from an insect bite in Egypt, everyone better get insect repellent on :sd
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

DJKeefy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:55 pm I've never known in modern times anyone die from an insect bite in Egypt, everyone better get insect repellent on :sd
Many of my problems are blamed on an insect bite in Crete, 2006. I'm not even sure that I was bitten. I suspect that it was actually severe sunburn on a small part of my legs through a car window. The affected area is very "triangular" in nature.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

If he was diving I guess he could have been stung by something underwater too.
Whatever it was that 'bit' him, he probably had a reduced tolerance to that particular poison.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

It does seem odd though as Keefy said.

Not your usual every day occurance. Maybe he had some underlying medical condition.

When I went diving in Dahab we were explicitly told not to touch the coral in the hole.
I watched a Russian guy who thought he knew better who was diving below me. It was funny watching him suffer the consequences of his actions. That must have ruined his day and cut his dive short. . 😎
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

At least they haven't blamed to food for once. If it's found to be an insect bite it must have been a real nasty insect.
The severity of bites and stings varies depending on the type of insect involved and the sensitivity of the person.
Taken from the NHS website.

However in my experience there aren't many creepy crawlies to be found on 'non green' areas. It's when you go around gardens at night that these things come out, hence I spray everything with 'Jungle'.