Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Engagement

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Engagement

Post by Winged Isis »

Diana and Meghan Markle would be 'thick as thieves' says Prince Harry

London: Prince Harry says his mother, Princess Diana would have been "over the moon" and instantly "best friends" with his choice of bride - American actress Meghan Markle.

In an interview with the BBC's Mishal Husain​, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle spoke for the first time about their engagement, revealing the yellow gold engagement ring that Prince Harry designed included two stones from his mother's collection.

Sealed with a hug and a ring: Prince Harry has announced his engagement to actress Meghan Markle, with a royal wedding to take place in Britain early next year.
"The main stone itself I sourced from Botswana and the little diamonds either side are from my mother's jewellery collection to make sure that she's with us on this - on this crazy journey together," he said.

Asked what his mother would have made of Markle, Prince Harry said he was in no doubt what her reaction would have been. "Oh they'd be thick as thieves, without question," he said. "I think she would be over the moon, jumping up and down, you know so excited for me, but then, as I said, would have probably been best friends with Meghan." ​"It is days like today when I really miss having her around and miss being able to share the happy news," the prince said. "She's with us," said Ms Markle, completing her fiance's sentence. The pair held hands as they sat on a couch side by side for the interview. "I'm sure she's with us, jumping up and down somewhere else," Prince Harry said.

The couple also revealed how they became engaged, saying they were "trying to roast a chicken" at Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace where Prince Harry lives and where Ms Markle will also live. "[It was] just an amazing surprise, it was so sweet and natural and very romantic, he got down on one knee," said Markle. "She didn't even let me finish, she said 'can I say yes? Can I say yes? and there was hugs and I had the ring in my finger and I was like 'can I give you the ring?' She goes 'oh yes the ring'."

Prince Harry rejected suggestions that their relationship, which began in July last year, had been a "whirlwind." He said they had had some time to date before it became public, including a camping trip in Botswana.

"We camped out with each other under the stars ... she came and joined me for five days out there, which was absolutely fantastic," he said. Markle said she had meet the Queen a couple of times and described her as an "impressive woman." Earlier the couple appeared before photographers in the sunken garden at Kensington Palace. It was a photo call only and not a media conference, meaning they did not take questions but did respond to some questions shouted across the lake by the two royal reporters who attended.

Prince Harry said he was "thrilled" and said "of course" the proposal was romantic.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/royal-weddi ... ztyql.html

Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Engagement

Post by newcastle »

How times have changed. Can you imagine the fuss 50 years ago if a royal (albeit 5th in line to the throne) was intending to marry an American divorcee of mixed race!.

They seem well-suited (insofar as you can tell) and I wish them every happiness. :wi
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It will be Roman Catholics next.
Good luck to them both.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

She spoke very well; it seems she will cope with their public life.
Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

[quote="carrie"]It will be Roman Catholics next.
Good luck to them both.[/quote]

Already is Carrie.

Under the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 clause 20 s 2 (1) : A person is not disqualified from succeeding to the Crown or from possessing it as a result of marrying a person of the Roman Catholic faith.

The Sovereign himself/herself cannot , however, be a Roman Catholic.

The first six royals in succession require the monarch's consent to marry. c 20 s 3 (1)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... d/data.htm

They could even marry a person of the same sex as the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 does not distinguish between members of the royal family and commoners.

Whether we could ever have a male queen, or a male Princess of Wales was, I think, ruled out by a clause relating to the form of address for those marrying a titled holder of the same sex.....but , although I remember it being discussed, I can't find it.