Germany warns its citizens not to travel to Egypt

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Germany warns its citizens not to travel to Egypt

Post by crewmeal »

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Germany warns its citizens not to travel to Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

That article states that the German advice is to stay away from places of worship amongst other places. That would seem to fall in line with the information that has been given out by the churches in Egypt. I've not seen anything specifically mentioning places of worship but they have cancelled trips and conferences.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:Can this get any worse?

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20170 ... -to-egypt/

You were too quick for the others this time
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This sounds rather strange .....but I can't locate the actual travel warning advice wording from the German Government. I wonder if MEMO is exaggerating/misstating the advice

I'd be surprised if it was much different to that of the UK and other european countries.

The German flights to Hurghada seem unaffected ...including today.

The article states : "In its most recent warning posted on its website yesterday,....." so it's nothing to do with today's events, even though the two fatalities were German ladies.

My German contacts tell me the official wording does not prevent Germans from travelling...it's telling them to be careful especially in certain areas. If they were to issue a formal travel warning they would also repatriate any citizens immediately.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

yes I cannot find anything even the above article on Google perhaps we don't have as much time to search out these "negative" articles :)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

In the 21st century we've seen terrorist attacks involving civilians in USA,UK, France, Belgium, Germany,Spain, Norway, Pakistan, India...and possibly others I've forgotten about.

Few countries people travel to have not seen violent incidents in which the innocent tourist could be caught up.

My attitude is not to let these events bother me...although I wouldn't travel to obvious hot spots like Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc.

You risk your life getting out of bed....anywhere. In reality, the chances of being involved in a violent incident is minute. You're more at risk of being injured in a road accident or simply tripping over something in your path as you walk around.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We get a couple of stabbings a week round here, plus the daily cell phone snatches off of dumb stupid f**ks,,,
Never the less, the London tourist numbers never gets lower than 19 million a year.

So stop bleating on about crime and start worring about tourist numbers, personally I couldn't give a flying duck... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Who2 wrote:We get a couple of stabbings a week round here, plus the daily cell phone snatches off of dumb stupid f**ks,,,
Never the less, the London tourist numbers never gets lower than 19 million a year.
Like I have said in another post, its well known that crime like you mention above is high UK, In Egypt it's not.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My friend and tenant upstairs works for a German tour company here, she would of said yesterday while having a coffee with her if there had been any changes in the advice. More false or exaggerated news? Wheres Trump when you need him. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

No reports of tourists cancelling visits to Egypt after Hurghada knife attack: Tourism minister

Tourism minister Yehia Rashed said on Saturday that there have been no reports of foreign tourists cancelling trips to Egypt following Friday's deadly knife attack in Hurghada that left two German tourists dead.
Rashed made the comments to TV talk-show host Amr Adib on his programme Kol Youm late on Saturday.

The minister said that his ministry had been in touch with tour operators abroad, including in Germany, and that no cancellations had been reported. The ministry would continue to monitor the situation, he said.

Two German tourists were killed and four others were injured on Friday when a man conducted a knife attack on tourists on a beach. The tourists were staying at a private tourist resort at the Red Sea town of Hurghada.

The assailant, who was arrested after the attack, had swum to the resort from a nearby public beach, according to a short statement from the interior ministry.

The injured were all transferred to Cairo on Saturday, Rashed said.

He said investigations were still underway to determine the nature of the attack, which has not yet been confirmed as a terrorist incident.

The minister's comments on Saturday reflect concerns that acts of violence or terrorism may cause further harm to Egypt's tourism industry.

Tourism visitor numbers dropped dramatically after a Russian passenger jet crashed in Sinai in October 2015, killing all 224 people on board, mostly holidaymakers.

The tourism industry has suffered more generally due to a range of political and security upheavals since a January 2011 uprising that toppled long-time autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

However, the country saw a 51 percent rise in the number of tourists visiting Egypt during the first quarter of 2017 compared to the same period last year, suggesting a revival in the industry's fortunes.

Germany topped the list of visiting tourists during the first three months of 2017, followed by Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, China and the United Kingdom.

Earlier on Saturday, Egypt's High State Prosecution issued a statement on Friday's attack, saying, "The perpetrator of the attack is being investigated by the prosecution. It has not yet been proven whether this was an individual act, a criminal act, an act of terrorism, or otherwise."

Late on Saturday, the High Information Service (HIS) issued a statement on the incident, saying that there have been "limited" attacks targeting tourists over the past four years.

The fact that the attacker had to swum to the resort points to the tight security measures in place around the permiters of such resorts, the HIS statement said.

"Some sources noted that the two victims are foreigners who are staying in Hurghada, where they work. This will be taken into consideration during investigations regarding the motives behind the attack," said the statement.

"There have been terrorist attacks in other countries, such as France and Belgium, but there was no speculation that these attacks would constitute a threat to tourism in these countries, as some people are trying to suggest in the case of Egypt," the statement concluded.

To quote Ben Bradlie "All The Presidents Men" next time get some harder information.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/273677.aspx
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

"He said investigations were still underway to determine the nature of the attack, which has not yet been confirmed as a terrorist incident."

They need to pull their finger out.....all sorts of speculation going, on which isn't helping.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We will let you know in a few years time
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Is this the royal "we"?
Shams

Post by Shams »

A travel warning for a whole country is a very strong reaction.
As a result for examples people can cancel package holidays without fee. German nationales would stay on their own risk or leave.
As it causes damage and frightens people it is used in extrem situations only. Like during the revolution.

The terrible and sad incident in Hurghada is mentioned in the security advice. Travellers are advised to be generell careful.
This is very far away from a travel warning.
Unfortunately not many are aware of the difference between security advice and travel warning.

My suggestion: Double Check before you post!
Especially when it is a delicate matter.
Thank you.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

If there was a formal blanket travel warning by Germany against travelling to Egypt the first thing you'd notice would be the absence of flights.

There were 10 today into Hurghada.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I often wonder if there are enough taxi drivers in Hurgarda for all the people arriving there, who wish to move direct to Luxor. :wi :wi :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:I often wonder if there are enough taxi drivers in Hurgarda for all the people arriving there, who wish to move direct to Luxor. :wi :wi :wi .
There are hundreds of taxi drivers, several licensed tourist companies and even a bus service to get you from Hurghada airport to Luxor.

Far more than the number of people wanting to make this journey.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I thought A Fours remark was made tongue in cheek, if only from reading this forum he must know there are many ways to travel to Luxor.
As an aside, how many taxi's are there in Hurghada, seems that every other car is a taxi?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: As an aside, how many taxi's are there in Hurghada, seems that every other car is a taxi?
Far too many Carrie...and their reputation, amongst foreign visitors, is poor.

Uber-like alternatives are making headway
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Once again let me sing the praises of ABC taxi's in Hurghada.