Tourists stabbed in Hurghada

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Tourists stabbed in Hurghada

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Breaking news at the moment. Six Ukrainian tourists have been stabbed on a beach in Hurghada, with two dead. Shades of Tunisia! :(

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Tourists stabbed in Hurghada

Post by crewmeal »

Not much to go on but I'm sure there will be more info in due course.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/si ... 88281.html
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:Not much to go on but I'm sure there will be more info in due course.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/si ... 88281.html
Someone's beat you to it better luck on TripAdvisor :D
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

At the moment it has all the hallmarks of a personal dispute between an Egyptian and tourist on the beach of Sunny Days El Palacio....i.e. not terrorism related.

Not that that will stop the headlines.

Remember the knifing in a Hurghada restaurant last year and how it was blown out of all proportion?

Hopefully, the authorities will get the news under control a.s.a.p
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just had an email from the FCO "fatal stabbing in Hurghada involving tourists please contact your holiday company" looks like panic has set in.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:At the moment it has all the hallmarks of a personal dispute between an Egyptian and tourist on the beach of Sunny Days El Palacio....i.e. not terrorism related.

Not that that will stop the headlines.

Remember the knifing in a Hurghada restaurant last year and how it was blown out of all proportion?

Hopefully, the authorities will get the news under control a.s.a.p
They entered the hotel via a leased restaurant to attack tourists slightly different as it currently appears.

The BBC of course has one paragraph about this attack and then a list pf everything else back to Eden and Suez!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sounds serious, two women dead and 4 women injured, can't see this being drug related.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Just had an email from the FCO "fatal stabbing in Hurghada involving tourists please contact your holiday company" looks like panic has set in.
My email from the FCO says
14-07-2017 15:20 PM GMT
Latest update: Summary - on 14 July 2017 there was a stabbing incident involving tourists at a resort in Hurghada reportedly causing injuries and fatalities; if you’re in the area, you should follow the advice of the local authorities and your travel company
Bombay
Someone's beat you to it better luck on TripAdvisor
lol
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Two tourists killed and four wounded in Egypt beach resort stabbing.

An Egyptian man with a knife stabbed two female tourists to death and wounded another four at a Red Sea resort on Friday, reportedly shouting at Egyptians to get out of the way so he could attack foreigners.

14762 14763 14764

The two women killed were both Ukrainian and the other victims are all believed to be from central and eastern Europe, Egyptian officials said.

The attacker is in his mid-twenties and was captured as he tried to swim away from the scene of the attack. His motives for the assault are not clear, the Egyptian foreign ministry said. He was armed with a large knife

An eyewitness told the Masry al-Yom newspaper that the attacker shouted at Egyptian hotel staff to clear a path as he targeted foreigners on the beach. "Go away, I don't want you Egyptians, you are not wanted,” he reportedly shouted.

Islamist attackers sometimes try to ensure that they are only killing foreigners and not Muslims.

Pictures circulating on social media purported showed to show the wounded attacker being carried away from the beach in a trolley while several men held him down.

Other pictures showed a wounded tourist being carried through the lobby of the hotel.

The ministry says the tourists were rushed to a local hospital. It gave no further details and did not provide the nationalities of the tourists.

An Egyptian security official quoted by Associated Press said the victims of the attack included the two Ukrainian tourists, three from Serbia and one from Poland. It is believed the Ukrainian victims were both women.

The official said the attacker stabbed the tourists in the face, neck, and feet. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorised to speak to the media. He did not provide more details.

he head of the consular department of Ukraine's foreign ministry, Vasil Kyrylych, declined comment pending official information from Egypt.

The Interior Ministry said a preliminary investigation showed the man appeared to have swam from a nearby public beach to access the holiday resort.

Hurghada stretches for 40km of Egypt's Red Sea coast and is renowned for scuba diving. It is a hub for tourism, with many resorts, restaurants, bars and nightclubs.

The attack came hours after five policemen were shot to death in Cairo's twin city of Giza when suspected Islamic militants opened fire on their vehicle early in the morning.

Egypt's security forces are fighting an Islamist insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula and militants have carried out attacks in the past on the tourism industry.

In January 2016, two assailants armed with a gun, a knife and a suicide belt landed on the beach of a hotel in Hurghada, wounding two foreign tourists, security sources said.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... ng-police/
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Peanuts, round here kids in cots are stabbing people..
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ch ... 42961.html

Mind you! they can only stab you below the knees, 'little buggers....'kids will be kids eh?.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Of course things like this happen elsewhere in the world, and we hear of stabbings in the UK most weeks, these incidents also get internet and TV coverage just like the incidents in Egypt. I get a bit pee'd off though when people try and compare Egypt to the UK, its not the same it never as been, it as always happened in the UK, In Egypt things like this did not happen (or was very rare), it is known for its hospitality, love and laughter, feeling safe, relaxed and more, yet after the revolution a lot of things went downhill, its not the Egypt many people remember and probably never will be again, so when incidents like above do happen in Egypt its a bigger shock than elsewhere cause you don't expect that kind of thing to happen in Egypt.

(well that's my thoughts on it) :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

So kids are carrying knives in the UK, that has nothing to do with what has happened in Hurghada. The UK's not safe the USA's not safe, no where is safe but that doesn't mean that the horrific attack in Hurghada is any less significant.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I did not say what happened in Hurghada is less significant then elsewhere in the world, I just don't think you can compare Egypt to the UK on safety, the UK as always been known to have lots of knife attacks, muggings, thieving etc, Egypt is not, so when stories like the one today hits the headlines it stands out more cause its something you don't associate Egypt with.

BTW: My thoughts on this are the same now as they were when I lived in Egypt. :|
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree Keefy.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It really does not matter how safe a place is, everyone knows Egypt is safe, you can read it on here most days, even I used to say it 4 years ago. Times have changed though, and it seems Egypt like most poor Countries is falling foul of ISIS. To be honest I do not know how they will rebell the threat. There were too many things I learned and saw there that say they may need help, and when I say help, I certainly do not mean financial help. Financial help will only mean a worse situation. The BBC are reporting that the two German women killed were residents in Hurghada, and not holiday makers.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Keefy's right in that it's the change in the Egyptian situation, since 2011 really, which causes us foreigners most concern.

Violence of the kind witnessed in Hurghada yesterday is commonplace in the UK, USA and elsewhere. It barely raises an eyebrow and is soon forgotten.

Not so in Egypt. It's unusual and therefore all the more shocking.

But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that, in reality, the risk you face in encountering these sorts of incident is tiny.

My Egyptian family (5 adults and 7 kids) were at the local beach yesterday afternoon when the news of the mayhem at the Zahabia beach broke and, once I realised that they were 15Km away from the mayhem, I went back to reading my book whilst keeping an eye on social media for updates. It didn't cross my mind that they were in any danger.

We live in a changing world and there's a current worldwide problem with terrorism. The 2011 uprising in Egypt, and it's aftermath, have put great strains on the fabric of society here and it's perhaps unsurprising that the placid life we all know from yesterday has been ruptured in various ways.

A hard-line , repressive state is likely to breed violent citizens.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Here is the DM's take on this with photos of the 'handsome devil'. The article states he went for women. Two killed and four injured. Strange that.

The usual anti Egyptian comments appear at the bottom which in my view is one reason Brits don't come to Egypt. The press seem to determine a countries tourism fate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hotel.html

Oh yes we had 4 fatal stabbings in Birmingham this past week.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:Here is the DM's take on this with photos of the 'handsome devil'. The article states he went for women. Two killed and four injured. Strange that.

The usual anti Egyptian comments appear at the bottom which in my view is one reason Brits don't come to Egypt. The press seem to determine a countries tourism fate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hotel.html

Oh yes we had 4 fatal stabbings in Birmingham this past week.
You can always rely on the "Hate Mail" to come up with headline-grabbing reports to feed its audience.

Yesterday must have been short on sex scandals, Love Island snippets or anything juicy related to immigrants. :lol:

A trashy paper for those who prefer their news doused in hyperbole, titillation and bigotry.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

At the end of the day, it matters not who he was, or what his motive was. A few thousand potential holiday makers that may of been considering Egypt as a destination, will look elsewhere. Another nail in the tourist coffin in my opinion, and another example of how quickly a killer can strike in broad daylight, killing and wounding before he is stopped. They all just look like Joe ordinary.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Egypt officials say resort knife attacker tasked by IS

The Associated Press
July 30, 2017

CAIRO — Security officials said on Sunday that the Egyptian man who stabbed to death three tourists and wounded three others earlier this month in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada was tasked by the Islamic State group to carry out an attack against foreigners.

The officials said that investigations revealed 29-year old Abdel-Rahman Shaaban had communicated with two IS leaders on social media after they recruited him online.

One of them gave Shaaban daily lessons for a month after which he got in touch with the other, who asked him carry out an attack against tourists in either the resort city of Sharm al-Sheikh or Hurghada, to prove his allegiance to the group, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

Shaaban rode a bus from the Nile Delta province of Kafr el-Sheikh to Hurghada on July 14 and headed to a beach hotel where he killed two German women and wounded two Armenians, a Ukrainian and a Czech woman, using a knife that he bought earlier from a store, the officials added. Shaaban was arrested shortly after he was chased by hotel workers and security guards who handed him over to the police.

The Czech woman, who was hospitalized with back and leg injuries after the attack, died last week.

Shaaban is a resident of Kafr el-Sheikh where he attended the business school of the local branch of Al-Azhar University — the world’s foremost seat of learning of Sunni Islam and the target of mounting criticism in recent months over its alleged radical teachings and doctrinal rigidity.

The resort attack took place just hours after five policemen were killed in a shooting near some of Egypt’s most famous pyramids in the greater Cairo area. The Interior Ministry said last week that its forces killed four suspects and arrested two others who were behind the killing of the policemen.

Egypt’s government has been struggling to contain an insurgency by Islamic militants led by an Islamic State affiliate that is centred in the northern region of the Sinai peninsula, though attacks on the mainland have recently increased.

The extremist group has been mainly targeting security personnel and Egypt’s Coptic Christian minority.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/eg ... 54b007e789