Insulting army, police, president could lead to life impriso

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Insulting army, police, president could lead to life impriso

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Insulting army, police, president could lead to life imprisonment

July 10, 2017

Members of the Parliament’s Defense and Security committee on Monday called on the government to speed up the issuance of a draft law which stipulates that the Higher Council to Combat Terrorism be assigned to prohibit insults and inappropriate language used against any army or police forces and the president.

The committee’s request came after a deadly militant attack targeted an army checkpoint near the North Sinai city of Rafah, killing 40 IS militants and 24 army members.

In the wake of the attack, a number of social media users affiliated the Muslim Brotherhood group rejoiced over the death of the army members in the aforementioned attack.

Consequently, several Parliament members said that it was necessary to issue the proposed draft law.

“We as MPs should put out legislation that will imprison those who insult the army, police or the president,” Undersecretary of the Parliament’s Defense and Security Committee Yahia Kedwni told Egypt Independent on Monday.

The main target of the draft law, Kedwni claims, is to curb the spread of false news and rumors against the army via social media, in addition to combating the spread of ‘inappropriate words’ used against these institutions.

Similarly, MP Gamal Bakhait, also a member of the Parliament’s Defense and Security Committee, agreed that there is no control over the magnitude of rumors that have been dominating social media in Egypt.

“It is a matter of Egypt’s national security that we all, as Egyptians, should co-operate to put an end to it. All proved to be a perpetrator of insult crime against the army, police and the president should be referred to trial directly,” Bakhait told Egypt Independent.

He stressed that the punitive measures mentioned in the draft law, namely life imprisonment, are not considered a violation of freedom of expression in Egypt, as the draft law is seeking to preserve Egypt’s national security.

However, George Isaac of the state-sponsored National Council For Human Rights asserted that the proposed law is meaningless and will only increase police abuse against citizens.

“The suggested law, if approved from the Parliament, will not contribute in countering those who support extremist ideologies, as there are no clear standards on how the law will be implemented,” Isaac told Egypt Independent.

Isaac, who participated in forming the opponent movement of Kefaya during the January 25 revolution, added that Egypt is currently suffering from restrictions on freedoms and that the suggested law will increase these restrictions.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/mps-sug ... risonment/

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Insulting army, police, president could lead to life imp

Post by Major Thom »

I thought there would have been quite a lt of posts on this Hepzi, I am very surprised in one way, but not in another. It was a post for discussion but it seems no ne wants to take it up.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This is not a law that need concern foreigners in Egypt.

I has long been the case that insulting the police, army, judiciary or religion will land you in hot water and they are particularly intolerant of foreigners - guests in their country - behaving in this way. Do it explicitly, and too often, and you will be given your marching orders. Ask Connie Tindale.

Look at the outcry in the papers and social media when a foreigner deigns to criticise corresponding aspects of UK life . Even though, hung up as we are on "freedom of speech", there are no specific laws ( only for hate speech or incitement to violence) you can taste the public mood when anyone from abroad lays into our police etc. How dare they!

It's not even a law unique to Egypt. In Turkey it's a criminal offence to insult "Turkishness" (whatever that means). In Thailand, insulting the monarchy will land you in jail. Try insulting the police or government in China!

Some Egyptian politicians are not happy with the legislation, feeling it goes too far and is too vague enabling the police to round up almost anyone. But my impression is that they can, and do, do this anyway!

If a foreigner in Egypt decides to indulge in protracted insulting of the forces of law and order, which is arguably none of their business, then they can expect to be removed and possibly barred from re-entering thereafter.

There's no sign - as yet - that fair comment or criticism of economic decisions, lack of social services etc will be outlawed. Even the Egyptian Press is critical at times and social media is rife with the most virulent criticism of the crackdown on dissidents . So far, the government's response has mainly been to block news sites which feed news which it considers biased or unfair.

As a westerner brought up in the "free for all" culture of the UK I can't say I am comfortable with this situation (the growing intolerance of dissent)....but there it is and, for once, I have some sympathy with the response you're likely to get if you argue against it - "If you don't like it, don't live here".
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Actually none of our business, I would never get involved in the politics of this country. 1. I don't know enough. 2. I am, as so often been pointed out. a guest here and as Newcastle says if you don't like it leave.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And even in the so called democratic country of Germany, it is a serious criminal offense to just deny that the holocaust took place.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.