UK General Election

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: UK General Election

Post by newcastle »

Whatever we may think of May's motive for calling a snap election, the likely result of an increased Conservative majority will enable her to ignore the "hard Brexit" element in her party and conduct negotiations with the EU in a spirit of compromise leading, hopefully, to a softer exit instead of the cliff edge disaster of WTO terms.

I'm all for that!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Under our parliamentary system, voters at a general election are focused on their local candidates, and the parties they represent. There's no evidence I've seen that the PM who would arise from any result has any bearing on voters' decisions.

The choice of Labour leader is down to Labour Party members using a system called One Member One Vote (OMOV). This means candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters – each has a maximum of one vote. This system has given Corbyn a substantial majority both before and after the Referendum. There's no evidence I've seen that this is likely to change.

Whether Corbyn remains as Labour leader will be solely down to Corbyn himself.

And, as I said previously, he is batsh*t crazy :lol:
I agree with most of what you said except the first part.

There is no evidence for the position you support either!

Whether people vote for local candidates or with one eye on the leaders is up for debate but any opinion either way is anecdotal.

I for example have voted before now in elections based on the leader of the likely winners.

My constituency was in the top 5 safest seats until recently - Keith Vaz has lost some support for his various escapades and the Tories nearly always put up an Asian candidate (im sure its purely coincidence) against him.

This time around i think UKIP may provide the strongest opposition to Vaz so thats where my vote is going - id vote for Glyph/ST before i voted for Vaz :wi
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Whatever we may think of May's motive for calling a snap election, the likely result of an increased Conservative majority will enable her to ignore the "hard Brexit" element in her party and conduct negotiations with the EU in a spirit of compromise leading, hopefully, to a softer exit instead of the cliff edge disaster of WTO terms.

I'm all for that!
Lol - thats you being tongue in cheek again im sure lol!

??

Ive traded very successfully under WTO - they are the terms on which the majority of trade is conducted outside of the Mafia - oops, i mean the EU.

In any case we will cut very good deals with most if not all of any potential big trade partners and this will be ready to go the minute we leave, the government, quite rightly will ignore the EU when they try to stop us negotiating deals before we leave - their arrogance knows no bounds!

They can F**K right off :stp
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's fairly obvious she's called an election because she knows she will win, stupid she ain't.
Hard or soft Brexit I don't really give a toss as long as we leave the frogs et al lying in the gutter & sooner the better.. 8)
IMHO "in my ever so humble opinion.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

"Compromise" "EU" those words dont belong in the same sentence unless the word "compromise" is proceeded by "no"

Weve been over this before im sure, we are leaving the single market - get used to it, if we don't leave it we are not leaving the EU.

The electorate wont stand for this Hokey Cokey in, out shake it all about BS.

WERE OUT.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Quote Zooropa :

There's no evidence God doesn't exist either ;) . My views are based on a balance of probabilities.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:"Compromise" "EU" those words dont belong in the same sentence unless the word "compromise" is proceeded by "no"

Weve been over this before im sure, we are leaving the single market - get used to it, if we don't leave it we are not leaving the EU.

The electorate wont stand for this Hokey Cokey in, out shake it all about BS.

WERE OUT.
Of course there'll be compromise...starting with the "divorce bill" and working forward.

Otherwise, why are we having negotiations at all?

May's stated reason for the snap election was to give her more room for compromise faced, as she was, with potential wreckers in her own party.

There will be "red lines"....border control for example....but a lot of items on her wish list will be nuanced.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Quote Zooropa :

There's no evidence God doesn't exist either ;) . My views are based on a balance of probabilities.
We shall have to agree to disagree then - imo party leaders have a very big influence over votes.

Im just dying to see Lenin, oops there i go again, i mean Corbyn doing a "Kinnock" and standing up at a rally shouting "were all right"!

Yeah right.....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:Whatever we may think of May's motive for calling a snap election, the likely result of an increased Conservative majority will enable her to ignore the "hard Brexit" element in her party and conduct negotiations with the EU in a spirit of compromise leading, hopefully, to a softer exit instead of the cliff edge disaster of WTO terms.

I'm all for that!

??

Ive traded very successfully under WTO - they are the terms on which the majority of trade is conducted outside of the Mafia - oops, i mean the EU.

You're entitled to your view, but it's contrary to the opinion of most economists and business organisations who think leaving without some kind of deal would be bad news on a number of fronts.

In any case we will cut very good deals with most if not all of any potential big trade partners and this will be ready to go the minute we leave, the government, quite rightly will ignore the EU when they try to stop us negotiating deals before we leave - their arrogance knows no bounds!

Of course we can negotiate trade deals before we leave....maybe there's been some misinterpretation of the EU's statements on this issue? What we can't do is implement them before we're out.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

I'm all for that!

??

You're entitled to your view, but it's contrary to the opinion of most economists and business organisations who think leaving without some kind of deal would be bad news on a number of fronts.

Of course we can negotiate trade deals before we leave....maybe there's been some misinterpretation of the EU's statements on this issue? What we can't do is implement them before we're out.

There have been several comments from a few of the Stasi regarding us negoting deals before we leave - cant be arsed to dig them out for quotation though.

Yes we cant implement - (although i would ignore this as well if i was in charge) which is why i said "ready to go"

"Most economists" ah yes, well im happy to be contrary v them based on their recent records.

Point is trade deals - correctly negotiated will always be better than WTO which is why we are working on deals now.

That said WTO is still better than a poor deal which is all we are likely to be offered because the EU are intent on punishing us for building the escape tunnel that other members may well end up using.

Really, calm down my friend, WTO aint that bad....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
Much as I value your expertise, the prospect of leaving with no deal is (in my view...which is all that matters to me and my equilibrium!) likely to result in a decline in sterling and the value of my investment portfolio.

Here I am, whiling away my dotage years under the swaying palms of Egypt, happily enjoying 22 LE to the pound sterling, and the FT Index at record levels, when you buggers in the Old Country are intent on upsetting the apple cart and sailing into the unknown.

Have you no heart?

Why should I care if you're swamped with immigrants and can't fathom the elementary details of EU regulations and the structure of the Brusells government. Not my problem mate!

Just make sure there's enough left in the coffers to pay my State Pension and fund a bed for me in an NHS hospital or State funded nursing home :wi
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
Much as I value your expertise, the prospect of leaving with no deal is (in my view...which is all that matters to me and my equilibrium!) likely to result in a decline in sterling and the value of my investment portfolio.

Here I am, whiling away my dotage years under the swaying palms of Egypt, happily enjoying 22 LE to the pound sterling, and the FT Index at record levels, when you buggers in the Old Country are intent on upsetting the apple cart and sailing into the unknown.

Have you no heart?

Why should I care if you're swamped with immigrants and can't fathom the elementary details of EU regulations and the structure of the Brusells government. Not my problem mate!

Just make sure there's enough left in the coffers to pay my State Pension and fund a bed for me in an NHS hospital or State funded nursing home :wi
Im sorry, but i dont buy into your chicken little sky is going to fall in attitude when it comes to leaving an outdated shrinking customs cartel.

Im not advocating this nation should return to its imperial "we are the only country in the world" attitude but Remoaners have gone to the other extreme of thinking this country is nothing more than a backwater 4th world province that is the equivelent of a baby that needs its bottle filling and its arse cleaning in order to function.

The £ has been artificially high for a long time and whilst im not happy at its current rate im confident it will return to a higher level in good time.

Ive spent almost a lifetime trading and i know what the rest of the world thinks about us as a nation in terms of trade and our expertise.

People can and do pay extra for British in many circumstances, WTO is nowhere near the end of the world that some people are claiming.

Its a mechanism to scare people into remaining or accepting a half arsed deal which in effect means we are still part of this dreadful controlling anti democratic dictatorship.

As for why you should care about the mother country, well, i feel the exact same way about people sunning themselves in warmer climbs.

All power to you - if thats what you want then go for it.

I dont see why we as a nation should cater for your needs and the relative few million like you at the expense of 60 odd million back here in the mother country.

You make your bed and you lye in it.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Why would you put lye in a bed??? :D
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bearded Brian wrote:Why would you put lye in a bed??? :D
I dont know, why would you enter a debate with only spelling error notifications as an offering? :ni:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Reading all the above posts I know I'm spot on, politics in my view is total BS as all the previous posts prove it.... 8)
Back to the 'real world of Hollywood entertainment..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.