The EU referendum

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: The EU referendum

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:There's some really bizarre predictions floating around social media today:

Once Brexiteer....so incensed by Boris saying immigration was NOT a Brexit issue...now says Farage will emerge as the only honest contender in a snap election and UKIP will gain a landslide victory!

You really couldn't make it up :)))

Panic :a82:
It seems that Boris cannot move his lips without lying today after Osborne spoke he said "the pound had steadied and the markets were calm, which pound and markets was he talking about? The pound is at a 31 year low that's steady?

In an article for UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph, Conservative Leave campaigner Boris Johnson wrote that the German business association (BDI) had "very sensibly reminded us there will continue to be free trade and access to the single market".
The BDI was on Monday, to put it mildly, rather surprised by the claim. It was untrue - the BDI had never and would never say such a thing, it told the BBC.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

The Brexit vote has “no force whatsoever” and MPs must pass a new bill to leave the European Union, a leading constitutional lawyer has said.

Geoffrey Robertson QC insisted the matter was “not over yet” despite the public backing Brexit in Thursday’s historic referendum.

He said the outcome of the referendum was merely advisory and new legislation would be required to quit the union.

And he insisted MPs are “bound” to vote against the bill if they think doing so is in the nation's interests, despite the Leave vote.

“MPs are entitled to vote against it and are bound to vote against it, if they think it's in Britain's best interest [to vote that way]. It's not over yet,” he said.

“MPs will have to do their duty to vote according to conscience and vote for what's best for Britain. It's a matter for their consciences. They have got to behave courageously and conscientiously.”

He added: “Democracy in Britain doesn't mean majority rule... it's the representatives of the people, not the people themselves, who vote for them."

His comments come after David Lammy, Labour's MP for Tottenham, called on MPs to block Brexit.

Other constitutional experts have echoed his comments, with Charles Flint QC writing in a letter to the Times that an act of Parliament is needed to leave the EU

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 82071.html
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Dictionary definition of Democracy
de·moc·ra·cy
/dəˈmäkrəsē/
noun
1. a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives: "capitalism and democracy are ascendant in the third world"

I'm no expert, but I doubt he will get his way and of course you could also argue that as the government was elected on its promises to hold a referendum on our membership of the EU if it was elected and then the people voted to leave in a legally held referendum, then the elected representatives are obliged to enact it.

As the old Chinese curse goes "may you live in interesting times" and we surely are ;)
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:Dictionary definition of Democracy
de·moc·ra·cy
/dəˈmäkrəsē/
noun
1. a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives: "capitalism and democracy are ascendant in the third world"

I'm no expert, but I doubt he will get his way and of course you could also argue that as the government was elected on its promises to hold a referendum on our membership of the EU if it was elected and then the people voted to leave in a legally held referendum, then the elected representatives are obliged to enact it.

As the old Chinese curse goes "may you live in interesting times" and we surely are ;)
Apparently not

"Democracy in Britain doesn't mean majority rule"
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Horus wrote:Another benefit of us leaving Newcastle ;)
But on the other side of the coin, this may go towards explaining the shock result a little better :up

phpBB [video]
The votes in, so my interest is now out, but I'm a tad confused, I know the vote was to leave Europe, but why must we leave Newcastle? :?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Good one Dusak! :)))

Horus is getting too economical with his punctuation these days. Tsk! Tsk! :a80:

Or are they in short supply....now we're out of Europe? :tk

P.S. I don't remember much discussion in the media but I see England were voted out of European football last night :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I do apologise for the lack of punctuation, but if we are all looking out for grammar and typos then I will try to play along with the game. ;)

Yes England did get hammered by all accounts, not that I have any interest in it in any event. :stp
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:I do apologise for the lack of punctuation, but if we are all looking out for grammar and typos then I will try to play along with the game. ;)
Even one comma can be a life and death issue. :a80:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Anyway how do you know that was not what I meant? Newcastle is a crap place, :D well the one in Staffordshire certainly is. :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Anyway how do you know that was not what I meant? Newcastle is a crap place, :D well the one in Staffordshire certainly is. :lol: :lol:
Fair point. I left the other one 60 years ago. :)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

By the way I am not happy with the result of last nights match against Iceland and I will be agitating for a replay. :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:By the way I am not happy with the result of last nights match against Iceland and I will be agitating for a replay. :lol: :lol:
It was a stupid mistake for England to take on such superior opposition in the first place.

If we could make football a "game of three halves" rather than two, maybe we could rescue something from the mess. :ni:

Unlike the British public, the English football team will, at least, get a chance to correct their mistake ...in four years' time ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Usually known as the 'dead cat bounce' in financial circles and it looks like all you guys in Egypt panicking over your exchange rates may be getting a break sooner than you think. ;) I would have expected the FT 100 and in particular the better indicator the FT 250 to be down in the dumps for some time. Trading this morning is showing it at over 6100 as we speak and a rise of the pound against the $ & €. :up

Strangely enough we haven't even left the EU yet and my Euro key on my keypad refuses to put one into my post, :lol: ;) I suppose I will just have to get used to using the Ctrl key and typing 0128. :D
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Exchange rates and markets will be in for a bumpy ride for the rest of this year at least.

The markets abhor uncertainty.....have we ever seen such a confluence of "uncertainties" in recent times?

I'm relaxed in the knowledge - or rather the firm belief - that, however much the UK pound sinks versus the dollar, the Egyptian pound will sink further and faster :lol:
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Horus; You say: "I see that Jean-Marie Le Pen has changed her avatar to that of a UK Union Flag, maybe that explains the urgency from Junkers and Francois Hollande in trying to stem revolts in the rest of the EU and that is why they are so keen for us to get it over with, maybe we have also done the rest of them a huge favour by voting out."

I may owe you an apology or at the least the benefit of the doubt. possibly more.

I hope you would concede the following:

First, by quoting the Fascistic Le Pen you associated or at least connected yourself with horror.

Second, (and I did not give enough weight to this) you may meat that others have improved their situation. (without giving your support for these)

I hope that you will concede that your initial statement was ambiguous about le Pen and that my response was not entirely unwarranted given a not unreasonable first reading of your post.

I have always thought that fulsome apologies are absent from this forum. I am from a different cut and am prepared to admit fault (if indeed fault is required in this case) - although in this case I think it is about a reasonable (mis)interpretation.

I could have done this via a private communication but I have chosen to make it public because I think this is more healthy for the forum If we make our differences transparent and if we publically accept that we have not been fair in responding to posts. Hiding and not venting these differences serves no one.

I ,now, have not a moments doubt that you revile Le Pen and all its infestations. Please accept this post as an acceptance that:i reasonably misunderstood an interpretation of your post, I over reacted.

I will continue to post, only on a rational and evidentiary basis, on the Brexit issue, because I think it is an important issue on which otherwise sensible persons have lost their direction.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I concede that there may have been some ambiguity as to what I wrote and what your read into it and it would be churlish of me not to meet you halfway, so I agree with what you have just written, Pax? :D
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I have just won a small amount on the Euro Millions Lottery, but I have received an email from President Junker's telling me to **** *** I am not getting it. :o

I also think as how no one else seems to have another opinion on this matter (or they are not voicing it) that I should concede to Newcastle having won the forum debate as the majority here would seem to support his view that 'remain' was the best option, so there is little point in us both continuing to just score points off each other in endless banter regardless of how much I have enjoyed it. So I doff my digital cap to you Mr Newcastle Sir, you have been a worthy opponent. ;) :D
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

For Horus and others who may have thought that things have got out of control.

Thank you Horus for meeting me half way. You did not have to do that - but you did. Conceding ground is not a bad thing and could lead to a healthier forum. I am always prepared to accept that I am wrong, assuming overwhelming Britannica evidence :D , and in this case I have over reacted and made Horus feel publically smeared.

For me the lesson is to avoid attributing personal opinions but to stick to putting a view which has nothing to do personalities but tries to deal with reason and evidence.

I trust that the evidence of my 500+ posts is that I play the ball - not the man.
Last edited by Hafiz on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I trust that the evidence of my 500+ posts is that I play the ball - not the man
I would echo that sentiment :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It's kind of you to concede my victory in the debate Horus...but it leaves me puzzled as I've never claimed to favour REMAIN :lol:

My whole argument is that it should never have been put to a referendum in the first place. ...and the outcome of this referendum does not , by any stretch of the imagination, constitute "the will of the people ".

If I was held over a fire and required to choose it would be for LEAVE. ..but to be honest I think I'd like a lot more info (and not the garbage bandied about) before casting a vote....and it would have to be in a properly constructed referendum.

Now that the great British public have had a say, and Parliament (wrongly in my view) looks set to follow the referedum outcome, I look forward to endless banter and duels on the fallout :lol: